Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Arx Libertatis v1.0, Arx Fatalis Port, Released

Alex

Arcane
find . -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;
Because of stuff like that I keep my not-often-used-but-very-helpful shell commands in spellbook.txt.

I never learned how to use shell script. I usually just use Perl instead.

jewboy

Arbiter
What a great game this was. I was just thinking how it was essentially Ultima Underworld III. I wonder if anyone will use the tools to do something interesting. Great sound effects and voice acting in the various 'comments'. I also loved the stealth mechanics. Very thief-like. And fighting those knights that moved so fast that they blurred was great fun. I've never seen that in any other game. I hope Arkane gets back to their roots with their new game. They are definitely one of my favorite devs even though they've only made one good game. That's more than most dev studios ever make.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
good for you, shellscript sucks as a programming language.
That's not shellscript either - horrible creature -, just two console programs, one which iterates over the file tree and replaces some variables before exec() lines, other which renames with a regex.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perl has its faults too, mainly maintainability. Though it may be due to me writing sucky Perl and not the language itself.

Nowadays, for most quick and dirty tasks that are too complex to easily do with bash + standard linux tools I use python. It's not perfect but I like it more than perl. SCO, what's your script language of choice?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
None, script languages give the creeps, goddamned untyped heathens. If i have to read something like that python is bearable (with it's "one true way").
Even typed Scala gives me the creeps once i found out about it's implicit conversion "feature" too.

Back to arx, forgot to mention that it has filtered textures now - it had funky colors on the edges sometimes, but they're not there now. Dunno if it was a problem on the original (can't remember), but for a while on the open source project it was.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Have they gotten rid of the nasty black screen problem, that used to plague the game?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Have they gotten rid of the nasty black screen problem, that used to plague the game?
Uhhh what black screen problem?

In windows the game now has two graphical backends possible (OpenGL or directx) so they probably have got rid of that problem i never had.
I know that there are "timing" problems where for a second you "flash forward" because the game timer misbehaves, but that problem was - not sure if fixed, because i haven't replayed yet, but attempted to fix.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sometimes when starting the game and loading a save the game used to just sit and display the black screen for minutes (the game was not frozen by the way, you could still walk around). I don't remeber weather it was a savegame specific bug or not, but i remeber having it with many different machine configurations and game versions including the last official patch. I'm surprised you haven't heard of the bug, over the years i've seen this a lot. Although it could be that the game is just wonky like that. Another famous bug, the turbo walking one resulting from multicore machines i never got for example, although i never bothered to fiddle with cpu affinity.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Actually...GREAT! I couldn't get the damn thing to run smoothly. Which is a detsetntence considering you need to gesture shit!

Having memories of black&white on my old amd k6

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am always surprised at the amount of people who don't know that in this game you can "memorize" three spells at a time (btw, there is a request for enhancement to make this amount dependent on the spell casting stat).

By memorizing and binding "precast spell 1" or something like that on the options to mouse wheel up or some other useless shortcut, you can rattle off 3 spells and kill most annoying opponents (like liches).

I actually think the game needs a difficulty mod or something (though there are surprises in the crypt... and if you return twice it's even better). The last boss is just sick though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game is really easy as a pure caster because pretty much nothing can stop a fireball, yet alone three.

I can't remember but I think they didn't work against the final boss and I had to do something weird to win. It's been a while.

Captain Shrek

DOES this fucking solve the problem for the rune casting in modern PCs? Please respond. I own it and cant play it!!!!!

Murk

Arcane
This game with Thief style melee combat would be so sweet. Regardless, will check out -- as I thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to replay it.

Had some of the most atmospheric moments in a game, and one of the few that made good use the first person perspective. That part in the crypt with the gargoyle statues is one of my favorite moments (they turn their heads and look at you. And, if you use the nightvision spell, they register a different color than everything else.) And the one chamber with a rune stone that I always miss, one of the most frustrating. Apparently I'd kill the damn spider on top of it every time and not check under its corpse.

I was always curious what the end would lead to, too. The storyline as pretty meh but that ending twist was pretty dope.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
got the secret ending?

I wish the crypt was 10 times deeper (btw, reenter it after defiling the crypts - i shat my pants when i did it for the first time a while ago; since i tended to do the crypt in one go or with a early exit later on)

;_;

Who here managed to get through the black beast unspoiled?
It should have been possible to do what you have to do without killing it, just running fast and it would disappear ... for a while

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
...secret ending!?

Edit: Is there any hope for a sequel? I actually liked the lore in this game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
...secret ending!?

There are 3 5 endings variations before the ending IIRC.
You killed the actors and it gets into a fight or nothing is there
The "you dun fucked up" ending
The "sacrifice" ending
And the harder to get "twist" ending (which i called secret, but it's not really)
They're all variations of the final questline

The dialog was so dang bad on the game, but i don't really mind.

Edit: the actual ending is always the same, i just associate that final quest with the ending.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
DOES this fucking solve the problem for the rune casting in modern PCs? Please respond. I own it and cant play it!!!!!
It might be that you're just "doing it wrong", because i never noticed a difference in spellcasting, but had no major problems, except with those weird runes, like mortis and that "projectile" one sometimes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Now that they are owned by Zenimax/Bethesda I'd say no. Thier Marketing Department would say it's not profitable. If however they finish their contract requirements with Bethesda, and then quit and run the fuck away from Bethesda, if they did a KS Arx II I would be willing to bet the money would pour in like rain.

However I think the Arx Fatalis trademark might be owned by Zenimax/Bethesda now since they purchased the studio. I didn't check the US copyright site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom