Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ascension for BG2 ToB - should I install?

Gromnir

Liturgist
gaider's mod adds some few dialogues to bg2 and many to tob. it changes some handful o' tob boss battles, particularly the last 2, adding difficulty and some story aspects.

is not gonna significantly change tob. if you liked tob, ascension will make somewhat more challenging and satisfying. if you thought tob were a craptacular waste o' time, then ascension will not change you opinion one bit... will just result in you wasting an additional 20+ hours to get to same conclusion you had first time through.

Gromnir loathes high level ad&d... and mildly dislikes d&d at lower levels. tob were not something we were looking forward to. nevertheless, given the fact that it is simply an expansion and not a full game, we thought that it were more than adequate. in fact, am hard pressed to thinks of a crpg expansion that were superior. pretty much on par with motb (which is highly overrated by the codex groupthink,) and far superior to any of the previous ie game expansions. After all, expansions is viewed by developers as little more than free money. a skeleton crew o’ developers rushes forward to take advantage o’ warm fuzzies lingering after release o’ original game… get much reduced time and resources. motb were almost unique in the amount o’ time it were given to be released (more time than the original iwd got for its development.) an ad&d crpg expansion? Deck were pretty much stacked against it from day 1… and when we heard that you could actually battle demogorgon…

*snort*

tob were a relatively pleasant surprise. watcher’s keep were as big and as involved as were durlag’s tower from totsc, and it had… more. only good part o’ totsc were durlag’s tower, but watcher’s keep were a complete optional aspect o’ tob. the ascension balthazar were intriguing, and the joinable npc epilogues were a nice touch, and the battles were largely more challenging than anything similar in bg2… but it were still just an expansion, and if you not like first time, then you won’t like much better with ascension.

HA! Good Fun!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ascension was indeed very good, the changes in the final battle are great. as well as added/changed dialogues.

I love BG series though. actually I've remembered why. plus I've played it from the very beginning of BG1 till the very end of ToB. Despite game's hack'n'slash and sometimes stupidity still the whole story again seemed to be very good. also I pretty much liked the final consequences with Viconia (ToB writing sometimes was better than that of BG2)

and actually after the end I want more - and except that - all following Bioware's games seem so bland to me now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom