Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Axiom Verge & Axiom Verge 2 - funky Metroidvanias with more character than your ex

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was surprised there's no thread for these games. I played them both in the span of the last year, liked both more than Hollow Knight or Metroid Fusion (which I also went through in the same timespan), and could heartily recommend them to fellow Codexers. These are both very good games - if quite different from one another - that have great gameplay, atmosphere, and soundtracks. They are pretty cheap at this point, go on sale quite often, and are available on all usual platforms.

1713864039940.jpeg

1713865141680.png

1713867028127.jpeg

The games are quite different. The first is a bit more of a classical example of the genre. It sports a heavy, oppresive-yet-filled-with-wonder atmosphere of you needing to figure out what the hell is going on in a world seemingly governed by Nyarlathothep-like retarded gods and then try to return home. You get a vast array of guns, a nifty tool allowing you to alter the way the world around you works, and several mobility powerups doled out as you proceed through the game. The second game is very different - it tries to go for a hunter-in-a-strange-land approach, where you're mostly outfitted with melee weaponry, get a simple stealth system, and are encouraged to avoid unnecessary combat. The MC here is also somewhat more in control of their situation, and you meet other people, which gives off a less oppressive vibe. Their stories are distantly entwined but are perfectly playable as standalone games.

The only thing I disliked about these games was that they generally have a "correct" progression path, with very few situations where at-will exploration will net you anything other than non-critical power-ups. Still, I don't think I've yet seen a MV game where this wouldn't be the case.

I'd suggest going through the first game first - I loved its atmosphere, and I think it handles worldbuilding better by keeping the player in the dark for a bit longer. There's a straightforward, but nifty idea governing the AV-verse and the second part pretty much explains it all in the first hours of the game, which spoils some of the uncertainty and WTF moments of the first part.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I remember Axiom Verge being mentioned in the past. I got it, but haven't played for real. Maybe it's time to dust it off?

Optimist

Savant
Patron
I remember Axiom Verge being mentioned in the past. I got it, but haven't played for real. Maybe it's time to dust it off?
I'd recommend it. No accounting for people's tastes and all, but I did enjoy it more than other acclaimed Metroidvanias, for whatever it's worth.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I quite enjoyed the first game.

The second one not so much. Something about the gameplay just didn't click, and the atmosphere wasn't as interesting to me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only thing I disliked about these games was that they generally have a "correct" progression path, with very few situations where at-will exploration will net you anything other than non-critical power-ups. Still, I don't think I've yet seen a MV game where this wouldn't be the case.
Hollow Knight is the example you're looking for, it's what I love about it most. After you get the mantis claws, the game is just wide, wide open. There's are a lot of really important upgrades and they overlap in interesting ways.

SotN was fairly open too, but mostly because it's mobility stuff was largely redundant; there's like 3 different types of flying, and while they've each got a niche or too only they will get you through, once you get any of them 70% of the castle is open to you. And of course the original Metroid/Super Metroid.

Failing this litmus test of being able to access 3+ critical upgrades at the same time that each branch off into more upgrades and areas is what puts me off most MV games. They tend to feel like glorified platformers with the option to backtrack for extra health or damage, and I generally stop caring about finding secrets when that's all they give me.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
I quite enjoyed the first game.

The second one not so much. Something about the gameplay just didn't click, and the atmosphere wasn't as interesting to me.

Yeah, they're quite different. And not just in their vibes, the only mechanics that feel 1:1 between the two installments are basic movement, and the drone (and that's for a fairly brief amount of time before it becomes its own thing). I preferred the first game as well, but can't help and feel some respect for the dev who decided to make the second installment in the series so different from the first one. I'd also say that 2 was more appealing audiovisually (although 1 was much more striking).

Hollow Knight is the example you're looking for, it's what I love about it most. After you get the mantis claws, the game is just wide, wide open. There's are a lot of really important upgrades and they overlap in interesting ways.

SotN was fairly open too, but mostly because it's mobility stuff was largely redundant; there's like 3 different types of flying, and while they've each got a niche or too only they will get you through, once you get any of them 70% of the castle is open to you. And of course the original Metroid/Super Metroid.

Failing this litmus test of being able to access 3+ critical upgrades at the same time that each branch off into more upgrades and areas is what puts me off most MV games. They tend to feel like glorified platformers with the option to backtrack for extra health or damage, and I generally stop caring about finding secrets when that's all they give me.

I do recall HK being a bit more open, but didn't know it was that open - although I think it also had fewer mobility-related upgrades, from what I remember. I'm also going to press the doubt button for Super Metroid being on the same level, at least until I Google it up a bit.

Damned Registrations

Super Metroid is definitely fuzzier in my memory than HK; I could be wrong on that one. Probably depends on your definition of 'accessible' as well, given wall jumps are a thing you can beat the game without ever using.

Re: Axiom Verge- I didn't get around to trying the sequel, but the first one was a decent game; what it lacked in gameplay it made up for in style and novelty. Not enough developers these days willing to make interesting original ideas. Like, double jump and wall jumps barely even count as upgrades guys, that shit is just basic mobility options these days. Give me weird transformations and weapons designed by a madman any day.

Machocruz

Arcane

I do recall HK being a bit more open, but didn't know it was that open - although I think it also had fewer mobility-related upgrades, from what I remember. I'm also going to press the doubt button for Super Metroid being on the same level, at least until I Google it up a bit.
SM was more linear, and easier, than the original, which was a point of fan criticism at the time. In Metroid, you only need to get a few out of all the powers, then you are free to tackle the game as you like.

What SM still reigns supreme at is intricacy of level design and the amount of secret/hidden passages where 99% of other metroidvanias have maybe a handful of breakable walls. Most of them have extremely basic geometry in comparison.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
What SM still reigns supreme at is intricacy of level design and the amount of secret/hidden passages where 99% of other metroidvanias have maybe a handful of breakable walls. Most of them have extremely basic geometry in comparison.

Right, I recall having to use a guide to figure out that I need to power bomb that damned pipe.

Good to see I'm not misremembering things for once, too.

Machocruz

Arcane

Right, I recall having to use a guide to figure out that I need to power bomb that damned pipe.

Good to see I'm not misremembering things for once, too.
Don't get me wrong, SM is still more open than many mv's that came after, including following Metroids. And it beats them all in level design imo. I haven't played Hollow Knight though, which a lot of people see to be an exception and exceptional.

Damned Registrations

I'd say the other big exception is La-Mulana and it's sequel, but uh... don't play those if you value your sanity. I think the only game that's come close to trolling me that hard is Getting Over It.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah La-Maluna is the only one I can think of that can competes with SM's level design, maybe even surpassing it. It is for masochists though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom