Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 2 is vastly overrated

BG2 early game has free thousands of XP everywhere for doing very basic tasks so its not that imbalancing, it's designed to level you up to >level 10 pretty quickly and a lot of the more difficult fights are level scaled so starting at a higher level just means harder spawns. Also Dragonspear does kind of screw up your progression if you are doing one of the popular level 9 dual class builds since you have to do your dual near the most difficult parts of SoD rather than the trivially easy parts of BG2 where you can just do a bunch of quests that basically just involve talking to people for 50k xp a pop.

I swear the bad pathfinding is intentional, at least to some degree. 90% of the time one of my party members gets lost, it's either Yoshimo or Aerie, no matter where I put them in the party or what formation I use. Always bumping into things and getting turned around makes sense for Aerie's character but not Yoshimo's. I can only assume the developers were trying to make some kind of esoteric joke about Asian drivers with him.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Has anyone gone through BG2 on a small tablet or switch?

Trying to replay this on a 8.4 inch Tablet.

Had no problems playing BG1 on same device, where you might cast bless before a fight and a few spells every now and then.

But lordy was BG2 not meant to be played on such a small screen.
Some of the fights with like 20+ Monsters, can`t even select the creature that I want to attack and micromanagement is incredibly difficult to get right.

Last edited:

Hagashager

Educated
Has anyone gone through BG2 on a small tablet or switch?

Trying to replay this on a 8.4 inch Tablet.

Had no problems playing BG1 on same device, where you might cast bless before a fight and a few spells every now and then.

But lordy was BG2 not meant to be played on such a small screen.
Some of the fights with like 20+ Monsters, can`t even select the creature that I want to attack and micromanagement is incredibly difficult to get right.
I bought BG1/2 on Switch at a discount at one point to see how well it plays on a console.

The Switch version is optomized for a gamepad so you may have better luck playing it on there. The Switch version has multiple selection toggles, direct joystick control of characters and an AOE indicator. It also has multiple highlighting forms.

I noticed most of the QoL stuff from Switch have since been backported to the PC version.

As for visibility, it's your call. I had no issues

Connacht

Barely Literate
I swear the bad pathfinding is intentional, at least to some degree. 90% of the time one of my party members gets lost, it's either Yoshimo or Aerie, no matter where I put them in the party or what formation I use. Always bumping into things and getting turned around makes sense for Aerie's character but not Yoshimo's. I can only assume the developers were trying to make some kind of esoteric joke about Asian drivers with him.

Unfortunately this was typical of many games of that epoch. Starcraft for example is infamous for how Dragoons and Goliaths would start going left and right on spot because of pathfinding issues. Still, BG2 improved over BG1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom