Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 2 mods... recommendations?

bryce77

Scholar
Yeah yeah, I know this has been posted before btu the search function is broeken. I'm looking for mods for BG2 that enhance the OC, specifically customized a.i. scripts either for party members or for the game's npc's; essential bug and glitch fixes or any other stuff like that. I'm not interested in stuff that adds new quests or user-created areas.

so far i've found the following stuff that i think looks good:

the g/e series a.i. scripts for party members

improved monster a.i. via the Quest Pack mod

improved summon a.i.

fix for grandmastery (make it like bg1)

and of course the baldurdash bug fix pack + gmae text update

mod that removes all fog of war (something i consider essential)

Cronstadt

Scholar
Baldurdash left out lots of stuff that should have been fixed and some changes are questionable. G3 is probably the most up to date fixpack around, but it also tweaks aspects of the game that weren't broken - a few alignments and such, hardly anything you'll notice anyway.

JrK

Prophet
I got a shitload of mods:
-Banter pack
-BG2 fixpack
-BG2 tweakpack
-Divine Remix
-NPCkit
-Oversight
-Rogues Rebalance
-Unfinished business
-Virtue

Amasius

Augur
If you want to play with Thron of Bhaal than you need The Longer Road. From the readme:

"The Longer Road mod allows you to restore your main adversary from the SoA portion of the game back to life, and take him into the party to fight on your side. There are strings attached though... so be careful how you conduct your negotiations with Irenicus, and what exactly do you promise him. Each version of the contract has its negative sides."

Irenicus is overpowered but so is everything in TOB and this mod is about roleplaying. Yes - choices and consequences in TOB! There are quite long dialogues with often five or more possible answers and the writing is good. And even if you don't want to take Irenicus with you install this mod - if only for the possibility to send him back into the Abyss.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Isn't that the mod where Ellesime meets you in the Grove at the beginning of Throne of Bhaal, and some music plays from Lord of the Rings? :roll:

Amasius

Augur
Jedi_Learner said:
Isn't that the mod where Ellesime meets you in the Grove at the beginning of Throne of Bhaal, and some music plays from Lord of the Rings? :roll:
I don't know the music from Lord of the Rings, but I guess yes, it is. The mod is sometimes a bit kitschy, but still the only thing that made TOB halfway enjoyable for me.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why are people saying that ToB sucks balls? From the little I played it it seemed enjoyable enough. I liked the concept of many Bhaalspawns you had to meet.

Didnt spot anything awful other than the huge and ludicrous amount of high level humans and every merchant selling piles of epic loot.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think it got too combat heavy, hence I lost interest in it fast.

Humanophage

Arcane
Throne of Bhaal is more along the lines of Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate. The dialogues are few and far between, and the gameplay is more linear in the sense that there are almost no significant side-quests and only one major optional location. That, and high-level adventures are fairly tasteless by default.

Cronstadt

Scholar
Tactics has some exquisitely designed components (The Ritual, Improved Ilych/De'Arnise Keep/Twisted Rune/Sahuagins/Bodhi/Irenicus), some filler (Kuroisan, Improved Guarded Compound, etc) and some unspeakable abominations (Tougher Fire Giants, Improved Kangaxx).
Weimer really had a knack for writing great dialogue, though, especially in the Solaufein mod.

JrK

Prophet
aVENGER said:
JrK said:
Rogue Rebalancing

If anyone else plans on using this mod be sure to get the latest version from here.

BTW, here are a few more BG2 modding sites:

http://www.spellholdstudios.net/
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/
http://www.chosenofmystra.net/

Well who do we have here? :) Avenger is the author of the Rogue Rebalancing pack, and yes I've got your newest edition, saw in on the ironworks. As for the links, I've only ever used the complete modlist:

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/

As far as I know every mod is listed there with a link.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
JrK said:
Well who do we have here? :) Avenger is the author of the Rogue Rebalancing pack, and yes I've got your newest edition, saw in on the ironworks.

Heh, I lurk here from time to time. :)

As for the links, I've only ever used the complete modlist:

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/

As far as I know every mod is listed there with a link.

Yeah, that should about cover it. That list is pretty thorough but a few of the links to the mod websites may be slightly outdated.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
bryce77 said:
o ya i almost forgot i also d/l the imoen incest romance mod that is a must have

Technilly its not incest since she's only your stepsister.
Although on the other hand you have the same father, but does this qualify as full incest..ah screw it..

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47 said:
I think it got too combat heavy, hence I lost interest in it fast.

That's too bad, because ToB even unmodded had the continuings of relationships with party members, along with nice story conclusion and also that "effects-on-the-world" kinda like ending, which I love in fallout so much.

Thanks for the links to mods, guys. Guess I will try to complete the game once again :)
*eeh if only there were mods for BG1 that would make it... you know... more role-playable*

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
skyway said:
*eeh if only there were mods for BG1 that would make it... you know... more role-playable*

Check out the BG1 NPC Project:

This mod expands on the depth of character and levels of interaction with the NPCs from the BG game. When BG2 was released, one of the major improvements in many peoples' eyes was the increased level of interaction one could have with the party members. This mod was developed to allow BG players a similar experience. NPCs in your party now have banters with the PC, with each other, and small side-quests of their own.

aboyd

Liturgist
I'll vouch for the BG1 NPC Project. It really does add quite a lot of dialogue, and even a handful of new quests. I think somewhere here at the Codex I recently posted about how one of the quests was so good (a Coran quest, I think) that I didn't even realize it was unofficial. Very nicely done.

Texas Red

Whiner
Well, its really hard to do worse than BG 1 with its huge number of "bring me my sandwich kthxby" quests.

MetalCraze

Arcane
thanks for the tip :) I'm playing BG1 right now... so I wanted something that will magically turn it from a hack'n'slash into... a little more intelligent hack'n'slash.

Well, its really hard to do worse than BG 1 with its huge number of "bring me my sandwich kthxby" quests.
Bethesda thinks otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom