Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Battle Brothers -- Merchant Edition

MerchantKing

Learned
I'm going to pick the Trading Caravan origin since it is the Strongest Origin™ and running expert/expert/low since that is the intended difficulty setting. Noble war for the conflict because that is the fairly profitable.

zmQEoLt.png

Of course, we're presented with an option on starting the campaign. It looks like my starting employees are one Italian and a fellow member of the tribe with a majestic full beard.

wmA2IrC.png

So let's check out the starting stats and out inventory. Of course we have an inventory full of profitable items.

KWLmtUB.png

But I would've liked more to get more profit. Now we just have to see how our starting employees are. Both have average stats being from the Caravan Hand background. But fortunately they will be good enough for now and with enough luck, they can become good fighters. It looks like Mr. Hallstein is pessimestic though thanks Trauma from the holocaust. Guido has Iron Lung, an excellent trait, which will allow me to push him harder for longer as he loads and unloads my wagon.

Ge8eqvu.png
t4k7eq6.png

This map isn't the best map with the southern cities close together but far away from everything else and no Northern ports. But I suppose it shall do. Off to do some tradecraft and profit!

Heading to the nearby large town, I was able to sell everything for profit except the furs. I kept the gain and bought some fruit since it was the same price as the grain in the town and a set of somewhat overpriced tools. But with the right enemy gear drops, I still should be able to make a handsome profit from repairs. Of course, when I go to the town square to look for some rabble to recruit, the first thing I see is an overprice old man. So what if he's a swordmaster and they have some high skills? I'd have to ship him off to the Apothecary for Alzheimer long before he gets into combat. So I'll just rely on the cheap, low upkeep classes to maximize profits.

The sellsword also looks like an overpriced grampa. I won't be using any of those sellsword since they like to ask for pay raises.

367oEGg.png

So here's what we got. Three jobbers who are fit for nothing but being eaten by orcs and unloading my carts.

wYSDhAq.png
gD2FeDZ.png
cr4X1aa.png

And then there's Heimrad. Three stars in matk already. Too bad his skill is a little low so I'd have to rely a bit on RNG to turn him into something good. He's greedy too so I have to pay him more so I'm tempted to just treat him like a meat shield too.

Npg3acr.png

I couldn't find more than one shield in this town's shop so I'm going to avoid combat for a day or two and take a delivery job to a nearby village. Hopefully they have some shields there that I can outfit those guys with.

Upon arriving at the village, there were no shields but there was cheap meat, so I bought it all. I headed back to the first town to see if they'll buy it at a high price. But since they produce their own meat, I decided to head to the nearby castle where I was able to sell the meat for some good profit. They had quite a few shield there and I was also able to sell off those furs for a good price too. Now I think I'm equipped for the first combat job. Heading back to the town I started at I picked up the job to recover a stolen lockbox and return it to the town. So following the footprints, I found the party of thieves. Unfortunately they stopped on the hills near the plains so I have the choice of either plains and no terrain or hills and a good chance at really bad terrain. I really wish they stopped in the woods so I could be guaranteed a few chokepoints. I'll gamble and go with the plains for now. Maybe I'll get lucky with the terrain.

mH93DJu.png

Oh look! It's Crispy!

VebZ9ct.png

Unfortunately I got unlucky with the enemies and they have quite good weapons for thugs. But Crispy is afraid! So I'm going to exploit that!

jp3Z4Ba.png

And killing Crispy caused the rest of the thugs to break... Well except one.

fffYoLy.png

And that's battle over. Three guys went down in the fight but two lived. Looks like Heimrad gotta an injury that won't do anything negative for him since he's not a ranged goy so I don't have to worry. Some decent weapons for a starting company at least.

fMj0U90.png
6vFGfKQ.png

Returning to town, I picked up my reward and then picked up a job to find a tomb or crypt. I was approached by a high status member of the town who wanted the information themselves so that's an opportunity to profit. A nice break from combat to let the men recover too! After finding the tomb and going back to town, I decided to sell the information to both parties since that would maximize my profits. Plus I plan on heading south soon anyways. I don't want to deal with the barbarians and the cold up north gives me asthma attacks.

gH2Y6YK.png

MerchantKing

Learned
Time to get back to the market acquisition campaign. Look at how beautiful that merchant sprite is:

FIkXMOd.png

I picked up two apprentices at the castle. They're not spectacular, but they are fun if you have some overpriced background characters like with a lone wolf run. On my way south I got ambush by some evil nazis in the woods and lost most of my crew. At least I got away and was able to downsize a little bit. Dirty Raider nazis. I need some delivery or exploration missions for easy money.

Qww0LGb.png

I shouldn't have taken that quest to repair the town's stuff

NHjyox4.png

Well at least that ended well

iE2FHSq.png

Now that I'm getting paid, time to move on again.

MerchantKing

Learned
Attacked by filthy spiders again. I really don't like them. It was always bad in this game when you added a DLC and suddenly all the wolves and such were replaced with spiders in all the missions. I'm not even doing one of those beast mission either. I'm just trying to get back some guy's trinket from thugs.

aHMTrIL.png

At least Mr. Hallstein leveled up. And now I get one of the best events in the game. Looks like I have the opportunity to maximize profit again!

RqawWw0.png

Profit maximized!

vliwuCP.png

Now I really should focus on getting that reputation back up. But I suspect that they only think that way about me because they're antisemitic.

OHiUzq4.png

MerchantKing

Learned
Now it's down to what looks like a prestigious village. I'm gonna save it from the nearby bandit tribe

KFWX5Av.png

What? I'm attacking your base? No. I'm just inviting you out to die on the hill outside of your base!

iUZgfuz.png

Well that was bloodier than I thought it would be. But at least I got some shiny loot!

Thb3WOA.png

zUcnJYs.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
for supposed merchant you are not very good at that "trading" stuff, aren't you?

MerchantKing

Learned
It's been a while. I think it's time to play this game again. Better look for some jobs for some money. I took a caravan job which ended up as this ambush in the swamp. Since these are fellow merchants, I cannot retreat. Not the best map for this fight

0HEkg7E.png

Thanks to the retarded choices of the developers, on of the raiders wanted to emulate a hamite and decided to chuck spears at a donkey, killing it. But it was an easy battle exploiting the caravan hands to take hits for me.
YjUW03t.png

And another battle. At least this is an easy one consisting of only Canaanite cutthroats.

e3pcT6Q.png

And luckily enough, I don't have to pay as many men any more.

knzF0Kx.png

Remember that spearchucking hamite that was in the first fight?
6NEz5QM.png

That evil goy cost me half of my payment! I guess it's back to Steinhaven for now where I won't take the only quest they have because it's too hard for my employees to handle.

MerchantKing

Learned
I headed to some nearby cities which didn't have any jobs I could handle. So I guess it's back north for now. Working my way up to a large town. There I found an easy exploration job and nothing else. And I got bored of this origin. Time to end the campaign. This map didn't work out very well. It was very cumbersome to move through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom