Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

• Sid Meier's Pirates!

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Black Flag

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Dogs

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sea of Thieves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (list it below and I will add it to the poll. Voters can change their vote)

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Legends

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Port Royale

• Uncharted Waters 2

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Xmantis

Novice
If mods count I'll throw a recommendation for Pirate Doom, well done pirate themed doom wad.

Black Plague

Arbiter
"Other (list it below and I will add it to the poll. Voters can change their vote)"

You have no honor.

Jason Liang

Arcane
You can play a pirate character in Arcanum. There is also a pirate module for NWN, although I have not played it myself.

std::namespace

just finally tried sid meiers PIRATES!!1 GOLD

TO THE SURPRISE TO ABSOLUTELY NOBODY: its fucking broken game play-wise...
all those dos classics are such a pile of hot shit

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

Pirates is one of the more sound ones too because eventually your character dies and you get a score -- i.e. at least it conceives of itself as having a goal for players that is, in this case, bounded by time.

But yes this post from another forum sums up my thoughts on the PC classics from a design point of view.
Actually now that I think of it, "difficult to learn and easy to master" is the recurring theme of the old-school western pantheon. Bloated, counterintuitive rulesets where optimal play is simple and repetitive. RPGs where 99% of the difficulty is in reaching experience level 2. Games that make it it hard to obtain even basic supplies while playing blind, but where a knowledgeable player can obtain top tier equipment right off the bat. They love that stuff. Even genuinely great games like Star Control 2 follow the trend. Well it's still better than the modern "easy to learn, nothing to master" approach.
Best is to treat them as make your own fun sandboxes. You can't rely on Western game designers to actually design their games to be *games*, because that's not their goal. Their goal is for the computer to assist players in playing the children's game of make believe in whatever way they fancy that conforms to the theme of the game. Challenge and forced decision making fall to the wayside in favor of allowing any and all play styles to be winners, and who are you to say someone else's perception of what it means to be a pirate is better than anyone else's? And to be fair the PC classics do indeed succeed in their goal of being make believe sandboxes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Should have been playing the glorious Amiga port of Sid Meier's Pirates!, instead.

fPLlC04.png
r36KGbb.png

p3MhIGT.png
g9TbCCj.png

5GhbWOn.png
t2sKP0R.png

xgRrIAD.png
nA97Bja.png

Gostak

Educated
A pirate quartermaster

In space:
I liked Independence War 2 Edge of Chaos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom