Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG engine

sqeecoo

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
ToEE's engine. Awesome combat, and it also looks very nice. I hope someone will build a good, roleplaying-heavy module with it.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
If JA2 counts, it's that. Otherwise, I don't really know. I suppose Fallout's engine doesn't have a lot of all kinds of flaws I hate.

Volourn said:
Problem with TOEE's raidal menu (unlike NWN's) is that it had a nasty habit of being circle jerked RIGHT OFF THE SCREEN. HAHAHAHA! Great design there. NOT.

Never had this problem. In any case, the engine could be fine tuned, like any engine that has come before it. The Goldbox engine got the fix command and many other small iterations, the infinity engine was tweaked with each new game released, and the aurora engine has certainly been put through the ringer with each consecutive release.

Turok said:
David Xachaturian said:
Temple of Elemental Evil. The best engine for an isometric CRPG. NWN ugly 3D should go to hell.

racofer said:
D3 engine looks promising, although much of it is due to Blizzard's awesome artistic quality.

Blizzard doesn't make RPG.

Yes they make Action rpg.

Vampire Bloodlines is an action RPG. Not Diablo. (My personal opinion.)

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
Melcar said:
That circle menu thing gave me nightmares. I mean, really, who the hell though that was a good intuitive way to play?

Care to suggest an alternative then?
I think that you have to sacrifice good menu in a game that has a shitload of functions. It will turn oout to be horrible, no matter what.

SkeleTony

Augur
Gnidrologist said:
Matt7895 said:
Bioware Aurora Engine, most definitely.

From it we got NWN, NWN2, The Witcher, and KOTOR 1 and 2. Ok, those last two were built on the Odyssey Engine, but that is just a rehash of Aurora.
I was just thinking about how i hate aurora engine. Mainly because it's seemingly designed exclusively for railroaded games. Background landscapes are not better than IE's ''jpgs'', just in laggy 3d rendering. Witcher looks good, it definitely made it prettier than before, but it still has it's annoying limitations in terms of exploring. I remember how when just started The Witcher i looked at the countryside of whatsitsname and thougt - goody, nice fairly large area to wonder around. But then i realised there are only one circle shaped path around the whole thing and all the backdrops with houses, bushwood and what not are only decorations. It's well suited for lazy developers. ;)
Also every game that was made in it had sucky boring combat.
Did i say it's laggy?

I'd also go far JA2. It's almost perfect. Complex, good looking and well balanced. It hasn't aged at all.

Ideally I would take the JA2 engine(circa the 1.13 mod) and add in a few things from, say the Fallout engine(skills and perks system, for example. If it was one weakness of JA2 it was the lack of an actual skill system).

I do not like the various D&D/AD&D engines because they employ those goofy, archaic game mechanics(Fire and Forget magic system etc.).

EDit: My mind wandered on the definition of "engine" above there. So before I get yelled at by the programmers here...my apologies.

David Xachaturian said:
Turok said:
David Xachaturian said:
Temple of Elemental Evil. The best engine for an isometric CRPG. NWN ugly 3D should go to hell.

racofer said:
D3 engine looks promising, although much of it is due to Blizzard's awesome artistic quality.

Then your personal opinion is wrong.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In any case, the engine could be fine tuned, like any engine that has come before it"

Yeah, so baiscally evry engine is the best. And, the worst. R00fles!

"Vampire Bloodlines is an action RPG"

This is fact.

Fine tuned, not changed entirely.

Would you suggest that the Goldbox engine was dramatically altered during its lifespan? not at all. That is what I mean by fine tuning. Fixing only the things that are broken.

Emotional Vampire said:
David Xachaturian said:
Turok said:
David Xachaturian said:

racofer said:

Then your personal opinion is wrong.

I'll be the judge of that.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
I'm no programmer, so I can't evaluate how hard it is to code every thinkable ruleset into a graphic engine.
Just from the looks I thought TOEE had the most beautiful engine followed by Sacred and Fallout Tactics.
Talking about game mechanics is more complicated. For example: Fallout Tactics had a nice combat system, but was lacking in conversations options (skill checks, choices).
If Oblivion had the conversation system of Wizardry 8 (the only W I have played) instead of the persuasion mini game, it'd be a better game. But do all the little systems (inventory, combat, weather, conversation...) belong to what we are discussing: the engine ? Hm, I don't know. Perhaps there is a need for defining what a engine is and what not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom