Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Street Fighter game on PC?

Arbiter

Scholar
What is the best Street Fighter game that can be played on modern PCs and obtained legally?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
What is the best Street Fighter game that can be played on modern PCs and obtained legally?
Who cares? The best fighting games are the 2D ones from the 90s and everyone uses fightcade which uses fbneo (mame fork) underneath for multiplayer, or mame (or fbneo via Retroarch) for single player.

My favorite fighters to play on mame casually, single player or with a visitor to my home:
  • Samurai Shodown 2 (1994)
  • Cyberbots (1995)
  • Samurai Shodown 3 (1995)
  • Street Fighter Zero 2 (1995)
  • Art of Fighting 3 (1996)
  • Vampire Savior (1997)
Special mention: Asuka Limit Over (1998), which I would have put on the list above, but it is a Saturn, not arcade game.

Last edited:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've had tons of fun with 3rd Strike, the original Marvel vs Capcom and X-Men vs Street Fighter. They all have that top tier arcade art that everybody can appreciate. All of those I played on an emulator. So I'm not so sure where you can get them legally.

std::namespace

3rd strike in an emulator
ggpo works
is now in a tool i dont remember the name of

std::namespace

alpha 3 if you have a friend and you both have even tier main and dont pick v

best street fighter is 2. period. just reflexes and knowledge, no retarded stuff like juggles, cancels, supermoves, extrablocks, megacombos and such.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Art of Fighting 3 (1996)

Interesting, I have never heard about it before.

Any reason why you listed it, but not Fatal Fury series created by the same developer and based on the same engine?
They are *very* different games. Art of fighting 3 has been described as a 3D fighting game in 2D, and while that description somewhat misses the mark, it's not completely wrong either.

As for why? Art of Fighting 3 just stood out more when I was trying out various 2D fighters a few years back from my rom folder. Speaking of Fatal Fury, I was actually thinking of including Garou Mark of the Wolves in my list as I do fire it up every now and then (absolutely gorgeous game), but I'm just too torn on the Just Defend mechanic to give it a whole hearty endorsement.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
best street fighter is 2. period. just reflexes and knowledge, no retarded stuff like juggles, cancels, supermoves, extrablocks, megacombos and such.
I'd agree ST is top but it does have all of those in some way shape or form except extrablocks. wtf are extrablocks lol
edit: unless you meant actual Street Fighter 2 in which case meh, ST is much better.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'd agree ST is top but it does have all of those in some way shape or form except extrablocks. wtf are extrablocks lol
edit: unless you meant actual Street Fighter 2 in which case meh, ST is much better.
He's driven by nostalgia and has never seen true ST degeneracy. "Just reflexes and knowledge" lol

deama

Prophet
I heard they fixed the netcode issues, at least most of them, in the recent new batch of fighter games like street fighter 6.
So I guess 6 is your answer.

Nathir

Liturgist
SF6 is the current most populated one if you want multiplayer, altough it's kinda scrubby and volatile. USF4 is probably the "best", but I was never a big SF player so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom