Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG1-style portraits

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you know of any artists that could draw BG1 stylized portraits based on a photo? What do you think would be the cost of such work? Is any particular AI capable of doing something like that? I’ve heard nice things of Prism, but really couldn’t bother buying a subscription.

RPK

Scholar
Depending on your level of seriousness, you could try here https://www.reddit.com/r/gameDevClassifieds/ where you can commission someone to do it.

You can also try stable diffusion, which you can use for free, or midjourney, which is not free, generally, unless you can find a discord server that will let you use theirs.

RPK

Scholar
forgot to add there's also Adobe's ai art generator "FireFly" which is trained on their own stock images, so no copyright issues to worry about if that's on your radar. Can't speak to it's quality. Obviously, it won't have the slightest idea what "Baldur's Gate Style" is.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Do you know of any artists that could draw BG1 stylized portraits based on a photo? What do you think would be the cost of such work? Is any particular AI capable of doing something like that? I’ve heard nice things of Prism, but really couldn’t bother buying a subscription.
The image-to-image function for Stable Diffusion should already be able to derive a portrait in a particular style from a photo. For example, this is a quick attempt at generating such a portrait based on the image of Monica "Buns" Sondergaard in Jagged Alliance 3:

exbx57.png
gnvelx.png

To achieve better results, you could simply train an embedding (or employ some alternative method) on the existing game portraits.

I think AI is generally a no go due to copyright. Which is annoying because face portraits is about the only thing it can do convincingly.

You can find an artist I'm sure, but depends on what you can pay. I would imagine at least several hundred $ per portrait depending on quality.

RPK

Scholar
I think AI is generally a no go due to copyright. Which is annoying because face portraits is about the only thing it can do convincingly.

You can find an artist I'm sure, but depends on what you can pay. I would imagine at least several hundred $ per portrait depending on quality.
Yeah, it sounds like Steam is rejected games that have AI art in them now.

The way I see, its all well and good for the "lawyers" on the codex to give their blessing to use AI art but simply not worth the risk if you intend to make any money out of any project might use these assets. Indeed even the midjourney "license" is pretty meaningless until there are some legal precedents established. I can not imagine that using non owned datasets is going to ever be OK.

As you suggested Firefly might be the way forward if you go down that route. Although, can you pay someone to use Firefly to generate assets on your behalf? Is that part of the license agreement? Are all bases covered?

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’ve probably posted in the wrong subforum. it’s not intended to be used as a part of some product, so I don’t care about rights and stuff. That’s going to be a photo of my mug stylized as bg1 portraits. Just for fun. I would not however consider paying for this a couple grands, so probably AI would be my choise.

I’ve probably posted in the wrong subforum. it’s not intended to be used as a part of some product, so I don’t care about rights and stuff. That’s going to be a photo of my mug stylized as bg1 portraits. Just for fun. I would not however consider paying for this a couple grands, so probably AI would be my choise.
Ah well in that case the internet is burgeoning with AI generated crap already.

e.g. https://coraxdigitalart.itch.io/500-fantasy-character-portraits-realistic-human-heroes

RPK

Scholar

The way I see, its all well and good for the "lawyers" on the codex to give their blessing to use AI art but simply not worth the risk if you intend to make any money out of any project might use these assets. Indeed even the midjourney "license" is pretty meaningless until there are some legal precedents established. I can not imagine that using non owned datasets is going to ever be OK.

As you suggested Firefly might be the way forward if you go down that route. Although, can you pay someone to use Firefly to generate assets on your behalf? Is that part of the license agreement? Are all bases covered?

From what I've read, Firefly is trained entirely on stuff Adobe owns (stock images etc), so the say it has none of the underlying copyright issues.

deama

Prophet
Probably midjourney is easiest, don't remember if they have a free model, but should be cheap from what I remember.
You won't need to download any software or need a powerful PC to use it, and you can give it references to an image to use as a base model.
There's other text customizations you can use, there's a guideline somewhere.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

I can but easier to just use AI

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom