Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bill Roper Can't Hold Down a Job

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bill Roper

<p>It seems the MMO space is too small to contain the ever-expanding talents of <strong>Bill Roper</strong> as he's <a href="http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2029" target="_blank">leaving Cryptic behind</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Greetings, Cryptic fans!<br /><br />For the past two years I&rsquo;ve had the extreme privilege of working with an amazing array of talented developers and just plain great people here at Cryptic Studios. Over the past few months my entrepreneurial spirit has become restless, and I&rsquo;ve made the difficult decision to move on and look for new opportunities.<br /><br />The effort and dedication that has gone into the launching of Champions Online and Star Trek Online, as well as the continued support of these games in the months that followed, shows the passion that everyone here has for the games and our community. And even as verbose as I usually am, I can&rsquo;t properly express how incredibly inspiring it has been to work with the people here at Cryptic and how much I&rsquo;ve learned from my time here. Most importantly, I learned a lot from you &ndash; our players. In the months and years ahead, I hope to be able to apply that knowledge and continue to create worlds and games that entertain. Thank you all for both the support and the kicks in the ass that have pushed me to constantly evaluate and grow.<br /><br />Finally, you&rsquo;ll see me around because I&rsquo;m going to continue playing the games that Cryptic develops. I know first-hand the people here deeply care about what they do. It shows in their efforts as they strive to continually make the games better and better. It&rsquo;s been a true honor to have been a part of it all.<br /><br />See you online!<br />-Bill Roper</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://brokentoys.org/">Broken Toys</a></p>

tetsuo

Scholar
So who cares? The Games he helped develope at Cryptic where absolute crap even for mmo standarts.

xemous

Arcane
another fake corporate vomit from another corporate asshole, does anyone even bother reading this shit

translation: im going, thnx for the $$ take it easy

themadhatter

Novice
EvilManagedCare said:
Awesome! Hellgate: Des Moines, the long awaited sequel to Hellgate: London, will finally come to fruition!
Hellgate: Tokyo, actually.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/HellGa ... 21465.html

Where Roper is concerned I'm not surprised, he's just conforming to his modus operandi. As I recall, he bailed from Flagship ere it tanked completely, now he's leaving for greener pastures once more. The guy's a veritable groundhog of doom. To whit: Cryptic's Champions Online has been slowly dying and is likely to shudder its way into a mere cult niche once DC Universe Online is released, whereas Star Trek Online has been dying from day one and will swiftly be overshadowed come the Star Wars MMO.
Yep, smart move...

...looking over his resume I am distinctly unimpressed. Seems he worked primarily on voiceovers for Blizzard, the single-player portion of Hellgate and held but one of the numerous "Design Director" positions on Champions. Why is this guy famous?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wasn't he mainly a producer? Not sure he ever had much creative input in most of the games he helped develop.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Leaving blizzard?

250px-Knight.jpg

You chose poorly bro.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There is also this studio founded by ex-Blizzard guys.

http://www.red5studios.com/

In the next weeks, they should announce a new game based on Project Offset engine. But don't hold your breath. They are no longer independent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom