Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BioSynth: Rising - a turn-based sci-fi isometric RPG

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds good, but he didn't tale Codex feedback well.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Lots of videos:

The turn-based combat system in this isometric RPG offers you a variety of choices. Thanks to many skills, different environments, enemy diversity and much more, you'll enjoy fun and deep combats.

Colour me interested. Terrible placeholder audio fx though, makes you realize how important good audio fx are to the general feel of a game.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. Can I ask you some details about this? Are you talking about some specific SFX (e.g.: the push of a button), a specific type of SFX (e.g.: all of those related to UI) or is it all the SFX?
If you could be more specific, it would be of great help to improve. Thanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://neptunegames.net/update-intoducing-the-modular-skill-system/

Update: Intoducing the Modular Skill System

Can you imagine playing an RPG without skills, spells or any type of special action?

Like a Diablo 2 without skill tree, where you limit yourself to spam normal attacks. Or a Baldur’s Gate 3 where every class plays as a fighter who can’t shove, do special attacks or drink potions.

Yeah, such combat system would make you bored to death.

In short, a skill/spell/action system has the power to make or break a game.

And that’s why it’s crucial to spend enough time on developing and refining such system.

Bringing BioSynth’s Skill System to the Next Level

From late December to early February, my major focus has been on the skill system that I mentioned in the last update.

It’s a part of a bigger picture: improving BioSynth based on the players’ feedbacks.

About that, let me say that there have been progresses about other aspects of the game too… I’m really happy about the direction that the game development has taken.

BioSynth is shaping very nicely and it’s becoming more solid each day. But we’ll talk about this another time.

Back to the skills…

Well, this major update to the skill system took a lot more than expected… but the final result is also way better than I could anticipate!

It has been a really hard job, but it’s worth the effort. Also because it exposed some weaknesses of other systems that I got to fix – and this is good.

What’s so great about it?

This: with the new system, we can create skills in just a few clicks.

Provided that you have the animations, the VFXs and the SFXs, you can create a new skill in less than 30 seconds.

Or in other words, we don’t need to code skills anymore, because all the possibilities are already coded.

This is huge for the game because it allows us to easily and quickly:
  • Create skills for the new classes that we eventually add to the game
  • Create skills for items
  • Fix all the skills that need a certain adjustment in one go
  • Update specific parts of a skill with no need to touch the code
  • Create skills for bosses and enemies in general, once we adapt the system to NPCs
  • Allow us to realize a very cool skill feature that we’ve been considering for a while and that would make your build customization options go through the roof
In short, this make skills highly scalable and it’s just great.

How did I accomplish this?

Thanks to modular skills.

I looked at the 72 skills that are currently in the game and break each one into pieces. Then, I tried to reduce the number of different pieces to the minimum and ended up with only 7 building blocks.

Skills-building-blocks.jpg

After this first thinking phase, I got to work. It took a ton of time to figure out a way to build a system that could use these 7 building blocks and make everything work smoothly. But in the end, I got where I wanted to go.

Thanks an endless testing phase, I succeeded in fine tuning the system and the building blocks so that everything was as customizable as possible.

The final result is so good that I can say that this has been one of the best choices made for BioSynth’s development since its beginning a little over 3 years ago.

previous-skill-system.png

This is one third of the previous skill system. It was huge and really complex.

New-Skill-System.png

The new skill system isn’t just way more powerful than the previous one. It’s also way simpler – because it keeps using the same 7 building blocks for all the skills.

I want to show you something more than just images… but at the moment I’m totally absorbed by another big work, so I won’t be able to make a video any time soon. But it’s my intention to show you more.

Let me close this post by saying this…

I put down on paper all the missing pieces of the puzzle in great detail. There’s a ton of work waiting for us, so I won’t be able to share many posts or videos, but the following months are a turning point for BioSynth. I hope you’ll fogive me if I stay a little silent and do my best at developing the game

Just a small spoiler… what’s ahead could mean an Early Access before the end of the year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom