Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Brainstorming an Islamic RPG

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The topic was brought up in the shoutbox, and well its something that should be expanded on.
For instance taverns can't be used for starting adventures because of the their views on alcohol, would oasises take their place.
Would most adventures start with you riding into town on a camel?

As Andhaira would say, DISCUSS.

Also summoning other codex muslims Cloaked Doug Regvard alkeides 2.0 JarlFrank

I talked with a scholar and he says Video games which are involving magic are not halal to play. So you must forget about a fantasy setting.
Best thing is a medieval setting taking place in middle east.

Main character can be:
1: A revolutionary Shia muslim who wants to remove kebab Caliphate.
2: A missionary who travels to east (china) to spread Islam and fights his problems in his way
3: A jew who is caught between Muslims and Christians crusades.
4. ISIS member sent to kill Putin and Obama. :M

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
The topic was brought up in the shoutbox, and well its something that should be expanded on.
For instance taverns can't be used for starting adventures because of the their views on alcohol, would oasises take their place.
Would most adventures start with you riding into town on a camel?

As Andhaira would say, DISCUSS.

Also summoning other codex muslims Cloaked Doug Regvard alkeides 2.0 JarlFrank

I talked with a scholar and he says Video games which are involving magic are not halal to play. So you must forget about a fantasy setting.
Best thing is a medieval setting taking place in middle east.

Main character can be:
1: A revolutionary Shia muslim who wants to remove kebab Caliphate.
2: A missionary who travels to east (china) to spread Islam and fights his problems in his way
3: A jew who is caught between Muslims and Christians crusades.
4. ISIS member sent to kill Putin and Obama. :M

I think about modding JA2 for this ...

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I talked with a scholar and he says Video games which are involving magic are not halal to play.

Interesting because it comes from an actual muslim scholar, but I do have a few bones to pick:

- What about a game which has magic, but that magic is clearly and unambiguously depicted as evil, corrupting and against the wishes of God, and where the good guys have no access to it? (Which is pretty much like the Sword & Sorcery genre.)

- What about a game which has no "arcane" magic, but where praying to God can help you, if you're good enough (according to Islamic values)? (Kind of like Darklands.) As a subset of this, what about a game where being good and praying does not actual result in a genuine miracle, but you become braver, stronger or whatever in a completely mundane way, because the act of praying strengthens your faith and resolve?

- What about a game which has jinn in it, and possibly "magic" or "supernatural abilities" that belong to them? The existence of Jinn is confirmed by the Quran.

- What about a game set in a fictional world that has no magic, but does have mythological monsters like dragons, pegasi, roc birds or whatever, with the explanation that they are completely mundane creatures which evolved normally in that world but not on real Earth?

I think these are interesting details.

Also, as a completely unrelated and hypothetical point, why should a non-Muslim game designer care whether or not his faux-Islamic game is accurate/inaccurate/offensive/inoffensive from a Muslim viewpoint? We certainly have a shitload of games, films and comics that feature Odin, Thor and the other Norse god, and nobody ever asks if those depictions would have been found offensive by the Norse. Or, for that matter, by modern Ásatru believers. I'm also pretty sure that jRPGs or mangas or whatever that have Christian priests and "magic" don't give a shittu about accuracy or offensiveness, either.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Also, as a completely unrelated and hypothetical point, why should a non-Muslim game designer care whether or not his faux-Islamic game is accurate/inaccurate/offensive/inoffensive from a Muslim viewpoint? We certainly have a shitload of games, films and comics that feature Odin, Thor and the other Norse god, and nobody ever asks if those depictions would have been found offensive by the Norse. Or, for that matter, by modern Ásatru believers. I'm also pretty sure that jRPGs or mangas or whatever that have Christian priests and "magic" don't give a shittu about accuracy or offensiveness, either.
Because marketing reasons. If you make good and accurate Islamic games muslims will buy that.
I think as long as magic is only related to Allah it is not a problem. But if character can use magic independently it is not so good.
TBH muslim scholars are mostly close-minded assholes and they bitch about every game which isn't created by muslims.( muh conspiracy)

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
This one is perfect (and totally haram)
"Adventures of Naghi : The 10th Imam "
awy5Pdk.png

Norfleet

Because unlike the aforementioned religions, there are sufficiently large numbers of sufficiently crazy Islamic people that you could potentially be killed over it. Islam's size and lack of centralized authorities has resulted in the rise of a number of highly fanatical, highly aggressive sects, whereas these other religions mentioned above are either extremely minor, or have authority figures that no longer consider it acceptable to react to blasphemy with deadly violence.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Because unlike the aforementioned religions, there are sufficiently large numbers of sufficiently crazy Islamic people that you could potentially be killed over it. Islam's size and lack of centralized authorities has resulted in the rise of a number of highly fanatical, highly aggressive sects, whereas these other religions mentioned above are either extremely minor, or have authority figures that no longer consider it acceptable to react to blasphemy with deadly violence.

The thing is, the aforementioned sufficiently crazy Islamists already want to kill you for being a secular Western infidel, so it's not like releasing an "inappropriate" Islam-themed game would make any sort of difference. What are they going to do, kill you twice? Also, fuck those guys, anything that trolls a bunch of horrid cunts is a good thing in my book.

Please note I'm not talking about the normal, reasonable Muslim majority, whose normal, reasonable religious sensibilities are a perfectly fine thing to respect, but the radicals.

Marketing reasons, on the other hand, I can see that.

tindrli

Arcane
normal, reasonable Muslim
Please explain this.
Also no matter how reasonable they are, They outrage when someone makes something offensive about Islam (Salman Rushdi for example). Even just if you DRAW Mohammed (not a cartoon) they will get mad.

like me for example.. im a muslim. i belive in allah and i dont go pray 5 times a day. i eat pork, like to get drunk, and all stuff that goes with it, i dont spread my religion telling people whats good and whats haram, i keep that shit for myself and my home i dont get mad when someone makes something offensive about islam i dont give a fuck about drawings of mohammed. and believe me, we are a MAJORITY ! what i do mind is that people are putting us in a same basket just coz they are filled with media crap every day over and over but thats another story...

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Please explain this.
Also no matter how reasonable they are, They outrage when someone makes something offensive about Islam (Salman Rushdi for example). Even just if you DRAW Mohammed (not a cartoon) they will get mad.

like me for example.. im a muslim. i belive in allah and i dont go pray 5 times a day. i eat pork, like to get drunk, and all stuff that goes with it, i dont spread my religion telling people whats good and whats haram, i keep that shit for myself and my home i dont get mad when someone makes something offensive about islam i dont give a fuck about drawings of mohammed. and believe me, we are a MAJORITY ! what i do mind is that people are putting us in a same basket just coz they are filled with media crap every day over and over but thats another story...

You are telling that majority of muslims are eating pork and drink alcohol?! :)
I supposed to be a muslim but i don't consider myself a muslim cause i don't pray 5 time a day and don't practice it.

tindrli

Arcane
Please explain this.

I supposed to be a muslim but i don't consider myself a muslim cause i don't pray 5 time a day and don't practice it.

yep bro, you should be surprised how many of us are out there, and for your other statement like i said above, i dont give a fuck about what you think or what you do or what you dont do bro, life is one and no one will tell me what i am or what im not, and no one is taking away my bacon with eggs so if you dont mind lets keep it that way and continue with original subject

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Please explain this.

yep bro, you should be surprised how many of us are out there, and for your other statement like i said above, i dont give a fuck about what you think or what you do or what you dont do bro, life is one and no one will tell me what i am or what im not, and no one is taking away my bacon with eggs so if you dont mind lets keep it that way and continue with original subject
Silence, infidel!
You're not a real muslim! ISIS and RPGCodex say so! :lol:

Actually I know quite a few fellows like you. Dunno if you're in the majority but if it's a minority it's a quite large one. Secularisation doesn't stop with Christianity dying out. A lot of people no matter which background are somewhat spiritual but not really into it that much.

That's the fan remake, not the original Sierra game. Better than the original btw.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom