Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Roads - turn-based Australian post-apocalyptic RPG with "unique morality system"

Alright so I've finished the demo so I'll give my thoughts here while my memory is still fresh.

Game's definitely got potential, but needs a lot more work.

The Good:
  • Classes seem to have different amounts of usable equipment slots based on their class.
  • Morality system unlocks special perks based on player's attitude towards the world and how they handle problems.
  • Seems to be a lot of different items in the game and (I'm hoping) lots of uses for said items (wrenches, screwdrivers, radio equipment, etc.)
  • Some parts of the atmosphere are pretty good like the dust blowing in the wind, random emus running around, lots of desert vegetation, etc.
  • Pretty open-ended way to solve problems, but not yet at its full potential (see below)

The Meh:
  • Animations in combat are a bit too slow. Should be a slider to adjust that.
  • Combat action menu should grey out the actions that the player can't use due to insufficient AP/MP. Otherwise they have to constantly check their available MP/AP.
  • Soundtrack ranges from OK to somewhat interesting. Definitely could be improved.
  • Characters are pretty uninspiring. Not really any memorable ones that I can remember (except for that dude with the shits was pretty funny).
  • Dialogue ranges from mediocre to acceptable. Nothing groundbreaking here.
  • AI is pretty iffy. Enemies tend to stand in one area and then shoot. There were some that ran for cover, but it definitely can be improved.

The Bad:
  • The morality system is pretty flawed. Instead of simply increasing the value of each of the 4 quadrants based on one's choices, it eventually locks you out of a lot of choices that are out of your current "spectrum". This is pretty bad as it severely limits one's choices. You should have all of those choices available to use in dialogue (of course some should be gated behind charisma checks) and they should simply increase one's percentage in that quadrant when they are used. It would still allow for the player to gain certain perks based on these choices as they should only be able to max out one of the quadrants fully per playthrough.
  • The game doesn't feel like a post-apocalypse. This is a similar mistake than in Fallout 4. The buildings are too clean. There's not enough dust and grime and the whole place looks like an Aussie open market instead of a post-apocalyptic trading town. Traders have unlimited money. There's stuff like whole stalls of fresh vegetables available. Really? In a post-apocalypse, that should be a luxury. There's not enough strife in this world and everything looks too 'nice'. You should definitely add some misery to it, otherwise it will feel like a desert walking simulator.
  • There's very little sense of exploration. Not sure if this is just how the demo is set up but the game basically keeps you on rails by sending you from town to town instead of letting the player explore the world map on their own. You can only explore the towns themselves but there's only so much exploration to be had this way.
  • That encounter with the kid on the road didn't make much sense. I shot him in the foot, so he wouldn't shoot himself and thought I could then bandage his leg, but the narrative just stopped there and that was it. Should be a speech check of some sort to help him out afterward.
  • The caravan guy you come to the last town with is laying it on really thick against that emissary from the other town for no other reason than the game to tell you that "this is the bad guy". Seems very forced and doesn't make sense other than to set you up for the obvious raid.
  • Bugs. There was a weird bug that locked the camera on my party for a few secs then went back to normal (happened a couple of times and was pretty annoying). Lots of info markers on the various PoIs were bugged (couldn't click them, or they were offset).

That's all from the top of my head. There's much room for improvement but it probably require quite a few re-writes and/or expansions of what's already there.

A release in november after that review makes me think it's going to be a disaster...

Alright so I've finished the demo so I'll give my thoughts here while my memory is still fresh.

Game's definitely got potential, but needs a lot more work.

The Good:
  • Classes seem to have different amounts of usable equipment slots based on their class.
  • Morality system unlocks special perks based on player's attitude towards the world and how they handle problems.
  • Seems to be a lot of different items in the game and (I'm hoping) lots of uses for said items (wrenches, screwdrivers, radio equipment, etc.)
  • Some parts of the atmosphere are pretty good like the dust blowing in the wind, random emus running around, lots of desert vegetation, etc.
  • Pretty open-ended way to solve problems, but not yet at its full potential (see below)

The Meh:
  • Animations in combat are a bit too slow. Should be a slider to adjust that.
  • Combat action menu should grey out the actions that the player can't use due to insufficient AP/MP. Otherwise they have to constantly check their available MP/AP.
  • Soundtrack ranges from OK to somewhat interesting. Definitely could be improved.
  • Characters are pretty uninspiring. Not really any memorable ones that I can remember (except for that dude with the shits was pretty funny).
  • Dialogue ranges from mediocre to acceptable. Nothing groundbreaking here.
  • AI is pretty iffy. Enemies tend to stand in one area and then shoot. There were some that ran for cover, but it definitely can be improved.

The Bad:
  • The morality system is pretty flawed. Instead of simply increasing the value of each of the 4 quadrants based on one's choices, it eventually locks you out of a lot of choices that are out of your current "spectrum". This is pretty bad as it severely limits one's choices. You should have all of those choices available to use in dialogue (of course some should be gated behind charisma checks) and they should simply increase one's percentage in that quadrant when they are used. It would still allow for the player to gain certain perks based on these choices as they should only be able to max out one of the quadrants fully per playthrough.
  • The game doesn't feel like a post-apocalypse. This is a similar mistake than in Fallout 4. The buildings are too clean. There's not enough dust and grime and the whole place looks like an Aussie open market instead of a post-apocalyptic trading town. Traders have unlimited money. There's stuff like whole stalls of fresh vegetables available. Really? In a post-apocalypse, that should be a luxury. There's not enough strife in this world and everything looks too 'nice'. You should definitely add some misery to it, otherwise it will feel like a desert walking simulator.
  • There's very little sense of exploration. Not sure if this is just how the demo is set up but the game basically keeps you on rails by sending you from town to town instead of letting the player explore the world map on their own. You can only explore the towns themselves but there's only so much exploration to be had this way.
  • That encounter with the kid on the road didn't make much sense. I shot him in the foot, so he wouldn't shoot himself and thought I could then bandage his leg, but the narrative just stopped there and that was it. Should be a speech check of some sort to help him out afterward.
  • The caravan guy you come to the last town with is laying it on really thick against that emissary from the other town for no other reason than the game to tell you that "this is the bad guy". Seems very forced and doesn't make sense other than to set you up for the obvious raid.
  • Bugs. There was a weird bug that locked the camera on my party for a few secs then went back to normal (happened a couple of times and was pretty annoying). Lots of info markers on the various PoIs were bugged (couldn't click them, or they were offset).

That's all from the top of my head. There's much room for improvement but it probably require quite a few re-writes and/or expansions of what's already there.

A release in november after that review makes me think it's going to be a disaster...
Definitely needs more development time.
Its a lost cause.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.brokenroadsgame.com/dev-blog/environment-design-process-ardath-hotel

ENVIRONMENT DESIGN PROCESS: ARDATH HOTEL​

EDPheader1920x1080.jpg

The Ardath Pub is a characterful establishment where a motley crew of artists, thieves, and thugs congregate to drink, play darts and get up to mayhem. To bring this place to life, Sara Laubscher, Lead Environment Concept Artist, worked closely with our Narrative Director, Leanne Taylor-Giles, in order to maintain an authentic ‘Aussie vibe’. Through pokie machines and a pool-table-turned-impromptu music stage around the back, we aimed to demonstrate the rowdy charm of the Ardath way of life.
1-Ardath-Hotel-ConceptArt.jpg

We heavily referenced the real-life Ardath Hotel pub, which Leanne had personally visited. Sara created the concept that served as our blueprint, using isometric illustration techniques and photobashing renders of props we had already made for the game, in order to get the main ideas, mood and structure of the environment across as efficiently as possible.

Here are some images of the real Ardath pub:
ahreference01.jpg

ahreference02.jpg

Art Lead Bianca Roux expertly translated this room’s design into a 3D model using Maya and ZBrush to add the sculpted details:
2-ArdathHotel-Modeling.jpg

Following this, Sara textured the scene in Adobe Substance Painter, maintaining the game's painterly style by applying gestural paint strokes in the grotty corners of the room, peeling paint and some graffiti on the walls for added authenticity.
3-ArdathHotel-Texturing.jpg

Finally, Ryan Gee brought it all together in Unity, meticulously set dressing the scene to match the concept art and infusing it with additional environmental storytelling and mood-enhancing lighting. This collaborative process ensured that our interior scene not only remained true to the unique charm of the game’s narrative but also added depth to our post-apocalyptic Australian world as a whole.
4-Ardath-Hotel-Set-Dressing-Lighting.jpg

We’ll have more to show soon in the September 2023 Update. You can also catch the Drop Bear Bytes art team on a live stream as part of the Melbourne International Games Week Steam Event live at the following times on Wednesday, 27 September :

5:00pm (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane)
3:00pm (Perth)
9:00am (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Barcelona, Warsaw)
8:00am (London)
3:00am (New York)
12:00am midnight (Los Angeles, San Francisco)

Thanks for reading. We hope to catch you on the live stream and answer any questions you may have!
- The Drop Bear Bytes team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.brokenroadsgame.com/dev-blog/hired-gun-origin-story-trailer

HIRED GUN ORIGIN STORY TRAILER​

We’ve just published the first of four trailers, each showing off one of the different origin stories you can choose when creating your character in Broken Roads. Enjoy!

And if you’re wondering ‘hey Drop Bear Bytes, where’s your October update?', we’ve been non-stop busy making the game, adding polish, fixing bugs, closing out quests, wrapping up loose ends, recording videos, conducting media interviews, playtesting the game, and so on. There’s your update - now let us get back to it!

- The Drop Bear Bytes team

Phinx

Augur
Just a couple of hundreds in each reviewers pockets, sprinkle some thumbnails with mouth wide open, and you got yourself a masterpiece.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh my: https://www.brokenroadsgame.com/dev-blog/were-delaying-broken-roads-for-a-few-more-months

BROKEN ROADS DELAYED UNTIL EARLY 2024​

Hi everyone.

Since 2019 the Drop Bear Bytes team has been pouring their hearts & souls into Broken Roads, spending countless hours designing, troubleshooting, and adjusting to player feedback. While Broken Roads is still coming, we’ve made the decision to delay the release to allow for additional polish time and QA manpower plus resources to ensure a higher quality bar for the thousands of permutations that can arise. While the game is now content complete, it is also coming in longer than we originally anticipated at ~30 hours of gameplay and nearly 400,000 words of dialogue. As you can imagine, it’s extremely time-consuming to properly test all of these.

This was not an easy decision, however the teams here at Drop Bear Bytes & Versus Evil have decided that to ensure we deliver the highest quality product, it would be best to delay the games launch just a bit longer until early next year.

We’d like to thank the community for your continued support and patience with us. We are committed to delivering a game that will exceed the communities expectations, and we believe this move will help us do just that.

- The team at Drop Bear Bytes

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Did they... did they seriously postpone the game days from launch?

Bruh.

Nm6k

Scholar
Amusing that they announced their delay same day as Urban Strife. Well I still have Colony Ship and Rogue Trader for this end of year

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will you do Nasa ish countdown somewhere? Pretty please?

Edit: WTF wasn't that The Colony Ship thread?!?!? fug...

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Honestly, the only thing I got out of this entire thread is that I wish I got government funding.

Without the strings attached, of course.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Or maybe they actually realised all of a sudden that releasing a turn based RPG in between Colony Ship and Rogue Trader was the dumbest idea ever. And postponing it is by far the only way to make some money. Just thinking out loud...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom