Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BROS FREEDOM FORCEVTHOUGHTS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS UNFORTUNATELY I THOUGHT IT WAS MEDIOCRE OVERALL

WHAT WAS AWESOME

BROS THE ATMOSPHERE WAS GREAT AND THE STORY AND SETTING AND SHIT IT NAILED IT MADE THE GAME WORTH PLAYING ALSO SOME MINIMAL CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT WAS COOL DEVELOPING POWERS AND SHIT

WHAT WASNT AWESOME

REALTIME COMBAT WAS A DRAG FOR ONCE I HAVE FINALLY DECIDED RTWP IS JUST A HALF ASS SUBSTITUTE I THINK THE GAME MIGHT HAVE BE BETTER IETHER TURN BASED OR ARPG MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE STYLE

ALSO COMBAT SEEMED UNBALANCED TOWARDS THE END EVERY MOTHERFUCKER WAS KILLED EXCEPT MY SUPERBADASS AND HE REALLY JUST FUCKED EVERYONE UP

BROS MY FINAL VERDICT IS TRY IT FOR YOURSELF I WAS NEVER REALLY HOOKED BUT I EVENTUALLY FINISHED IT THE SETTING WAS PERFECT AND EVERYTIME I SAW THE NAME MAN-BOT IT MADE ME LAUGH IF IU WAS A SUPERHERO THAT WOULD BE MY NAME

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Agreed. I find the pause and queue style of game play extremely annoying. And you're right: games like that would be better off as turned based. The game looks fantastic but... fail game play = not buying at any price.

I always hated RTwP and never understood why so many games use it. They are always better off with with either full RT or TB. RTwP systems always turn the combat into a clusterfuck for me.

Achilles

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
REALTIME COMBAT WAS A DRAG FOR ONCE I HAVE FINALLY DECIDED RTWP IS JUST A HALF ASS SUBSTITUTE I THINK THE GAME MIGHT HAVE BE BETTER IETHER TURN BASED OR ARPG MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE STYLE

I totally agree. Rtwp was cumbersome, especially if you wanted to split your forces and send them to different points on the map.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
BRO AS YOU MGITH TELL BY MY AVATAR I"M A HUGE FAN OF FREEDOM FORCE AND IT"S ONE OF MY FAV SQUAD_BASED COMBAT GAMES

I'll admit it would have been better if it was turn-based. I do think that RTwP is a much better option than something like Ultimate Alliance, which would have taken the focus away from using your team's powers to beat the missions and turned it into a generic beat-em-up. It's a squad-based game and the character's abilities are interesting and varied enough to provide a light tactical/rpg experience. I didn't find the combat to be too clunky, though when I first played it I had finished some Infinity Engine games so I was adjusted to RTwP.

My main two issues with the game were with the projectiles and the lack of options for a custom character. The projectiles were kinda wonky and unpredictable. I know every shot isn't supposed to be 100% accurate, but something just felt off with the way the engine handed it.

And while you can make a custom character, the game doesn't integrate him/her into the story at all. You're better off just sticking to the story characters because the custom ones just feel like a tacked-on afterthought, which is a shame because there is a pretty interesting point buy system for making characters.

That said, I immensely enjoyed both games in the series. The story and characters were charming. It's nice to see an original IP super-hero themed game where the super heroes actually look the part. I'd love another sequel with an updated engine and (at least) an option for turn-based combat. When I played Freedom Force, I was wondering why nobody made a similar game up to that point (and since, in retrospect). Superhero strategy/rpg seems like a natural fit.

Multi-headed Cow

Also agree. In fact I don't think I ever finished the original Freedom Force, only finished 3rd Reich. Enjoyed it fairly well (Especially before Marvel/DC tried suing people who made superhero skins for Freedom Force so I could try making name-brand superheroes) but the combat was a bit of a bummer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well it's $7.50 for a 10 pack on Steam! But that's not really a great deal as it is only the first one and I've seen both sold as a package on Steam for $1.50 numerous times -- so you can just skip the logistics of going in on a pack.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Eh, still love Freedom Force, mostly for the ridiculous (in a great way) comic-book characters, the over-the-top storyline, the beautiful art direction, the moddability, and the wacky origin stories. Would love it even more if it were turn-based. Can't imagine it RT w/o pause, as it would be as impossible to control tactically as every other RTS I can't stand.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well the first one is more interesting in some ways, but the combat is improved in "vs the 3rd Reich".

Over all it is a interesting series.

Chuftie

Augur
I find movement kinda buggy in that the pathfinding goes derp moving the toon ahead before looping back to the intended position also when I try to get them to jump on the roof they end up smashing the building instead

Severian Silk

I always feel completely "meh" in RTwP games. I'd really like to spout all sorts of praise for the game... it being unique and original in terms of setting, and them trying to put out a tactics game when they're not that popular... But the combat is made just that little bit more lame because of RTwP.

Archibald

Arcane
And now lets cry about morons not buying third reich and as a result developers axing the third part!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom