Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

C&C 3 is fun...

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Talonfire said:
The earlier C&Cs definitely required strategy. The series became a spam fest that required no strategy starting with Red Alert 2.

I don't see how this is the case. I get how Tiberian Sun was different. It certainly WAS different from the rest of the series. I never enjoyed those playing with those mechs, nor the disk throwing grenadiers. But I can see how it reduced rush tactics.

Spamming tanks was quite viable for GDI in C&C1. In those days the medium tank was comparatively strong, and it was just a matter of blowing everything up and squelching the infantry. Obelisk of Light didn't last long against 10-15 tanks.

Zhuangzi said:
Talonfire said:
The earlier C&Cs definitely required strategy. The series became a spam fest that required no strategy starting with Red Alert 2.

I don't see how this is the case. I get how Tiberian Sun was different. It certainly WAS different from the rest of the series. I never enjoyed those playing with those mechs, nor the disk throwing grenadiers. But I can see how it reduced rush tactics.

Spamming tanks was quite viable for GDI in C&C1. In those days the medium tank was comparatively strong, and it was just a matter of blowing everything up and squelching the infantry. Obelisk of Light didn't last long against 10-15 tanks.

It was a major pain trying to squash infantry with tanks in CnC1. They were very good at evading the tanks, and were almost bullet proof against the tank shot. Red Alert made infantry virtually useless, until TS balanced the game up again.

I never really got the hate for TS. I found it to be quite well done, as far as RTS's go. Perhaps if some of the haters of it could elaborate exactly what parts they disliked about it?

Zhuangzi

Scholar
To be honest it's been years since I played it, but I recall not being a fan of the modular type defense structures, nor the lack of tank units, not the bouncing grenades. I guess I'm saying I liked the original C&C, and I feel that C&C 3 is more of the same. I'm not saying TS is poor - simply that I didn't enjoy playing it as much as every other C&C/Red Alert game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blackadder said:
I never really got the hate for TS. I found it to be quite well done, as far as RTS's go. Perhaps if some of the haters of it could elaborate exactly what parts they disliked about it?

Most people bash it for slow gameplay - eh you can't just come and ruin enemy's base in the first ten minutes with tank rush like you can do in RA1 and RA2.
It is also very different from more "casual" C&C1 and has much micromanagement stuff - like the very same sonic tanks - they can be a major pain in the butt for friendlies if you won't keep an eye on them. It also had more micromanagement in a form of support units - like medics. Basically it was more complicated.
It was different right down to different soundtrack and different gameworld. But I liked the new atmospheric PA setting very much.
C&C2 was the last Westwood's game they did without EA raping the shit out of it (though EA already bought Westwood when the game was released - but thankfully it was finished in time).

29555c0aa237.jpg

I still like it more than any other C&C though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom