Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Castlevania series: worth a shit?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
How do they compare to DMC/God of War/etc?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
implied-facepalm.jpg

KalosKagathos

Learned
Dicksmoker said:
Unless you're talking about N64, PS2 games and Lords of Shadow, Hobo Elf's point is perfectly valid. That said, they're great as platformers, especially III and Rondo of Blood. SotN and handheld games shift focus to exploration and reduce the difficulty a lot, but are still worth checking out: bosses can be really fun (Julius in Aria is a prime example).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bloodlines is horribly underrated and Castlevania 4 is good fun as well. Many people say it's a tad too easy, obviously because it doesn't have the bullshit controls that C1-3 have.

I played some Castlevania on an emulator.
The game is hard. I have used save stated. And it still was hard.
You have to memorize everything, move in the same pattern.
It's a Rememberthepattern (RTP) game.
If you are into that stuff, you'll have lots of fun and frustration.
Autism helps.

deuxhero

Arcane
The 3rd game for the NES and the Metroidvanias (The first two GBA ones are debatable on quality though) are fun. Can't comment on others that well.

Luzur

Good Sir
play only Castlevania 1-3, Super Castlevania, SotN and Rondo of Blood.

avoid the rest, ecpecially Lords of Shadow, which should not be called Castlevania at all, since the only connections ive seen sofar is fanservice of names from older games.

desocupado

Magister
I just played the first two for the GBA.

The first one, is a bit fun, try it.

The second one is bad. Horrible, horrible level design.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I played Rondo of Blood (PSP), Symphony of the Night(PSP) and Order of Ecclesia(DS). I enjoyed all of them, especially Order of Ecclesia, it shows advantages of Metroidvania model much better than SotN :M

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Symphony of the Night is amazing. My favorite side-scrolling game ever. It's easy as fuck because all of your spells/abilities/equipment are hilariously broken (you can eventually turn into a poison mist cloud that is invincible and damages all enemies you touch, and this isn't even the most absurd spell), but it's always very fun.

The ones that came out for the handhelds are pretty cool, but they somehow feel lower-quality because they're only on handhends.

Blackula

Educated
Lords of Shadows has Patrick stewart though, so it must be good! He's never done voice work for a bad game before...

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Blackula said:
Lords of Shadows has Patrick stewart though, so it must be good! He's never done voice work for a bad game before...

It's good for a next gen console game, but it's not a real Castlevania :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom