Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News CD Project RED sales figures for 2011

MCA
This is a little disappointing. TW2 is easily on the same level with ME series in terms of having mainstream appeal. They should up their game in marketing. Even GOG.com is still virtually unknown.

ME is a third person shooter, TW2 isn't. The market for TW2 is smaller without a doubt, its doesn't appeal to FPS players.

You seem to be under the misconception that ME2 does. FPS crowds look at ME2 and LOL and move onto the next game.

Kjujik

Educated
Second, what actually means that a game title is AAA? I know what that means in terms of finacial ratings. I know what a AAA maple top is on a Les Paul guitar. But what features does a game must have to be considered AAA? Is it conected to the cost of making one or something else?

If I recall correctly during the potato part of their autumn 2011 conference (November 2011), CDPR explained that they understand the cathegories as follows:

AAA+ = target sales over 2 million, metascore above 90% and at least 2 platforms
AAA = target sales over 1 million, metascore around 90% and at last 1 platform
AA = sales above 500.000 copies, 1 platform
A = sales around 500.000 copies, 1 platform

and so on.

So bascally they aim for mass-market, consolised pop-a-moles, that sell well.

The lower tier projects might be a ray of hope for a real rpg, although it seems highly unlikely, considering the recent trends.
But then again, they aquired Metroplis Software in 2008, which was responsible for Gorky 17 - a knock-off of Fallout set in eastern Potato Land. So mabe, just mabe, they will finally go on to do a decent follow up to the series.

CROmagnon

Augur
Second, what actually means that a game title is AAA? I know what that means in terms of finacial ratings. I know what a AAA maple top is on a Les Paul guitar. But what features does a game must have to be considered AAA? Is it conected to the cost of making one or something else?

If I recall correctly during the potato part of their autumn 2011 conference (November 2011), CDPR explained that they understand the cathegories as follows:

AAA+ = target sales over 2 million, metascore above 90% and at least 2 platforms
AAA = target sales over 1 million, metascore around 90% and at last 1 platform
AA = sales above 500.000 copies, 1 platform
A = sales around 500.000 copies, 1 platform

Thanks for that. So it's basically bullshit marketing speak.

Oh, well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom