Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Character customization

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So it's possible to have custom portraits (C:\Users\blahblah\Documents\My Games\Wasteland 2\Custom Portraits) but it doesn't appear to be possible to change the portrait once game has started. Neither does it seem to be possible to alter the 3D model or the biography. Definitely something that needs to be added in the patch that's apparently coming soon.

Or I'm just stupid and blind?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I tried to find a way to change that after char creation, I couldn't figure it out either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, I was gonna add biography notes as I played. I don't think you can have any player written notes in the log book either.

Why would those be things that need to be added? Editing your 3d model is lame, you built a ranger, why would your ranger randomly transform into someone else?
You can alter their outfits, that's good enough.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Editing the save game works, tried it out and had no problems.

What would be really nice is a portrait gallery or a list when selecting one, instead of having to click through each one. Also, at least my copy automatically adds those screenshot/snapshot things of the 3D-model into the portrait gallery, which is tad annoying, just when the mouse cursor moves over that button.

Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have.
Thanks for proving that sig right.

You know how many morons have unsuccessfuly tried to use this signature against me?
+1

Since this thread is called character customization, I'd like to add that it would be really cool if you guys added those Indian headdresses back in.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Why would those be things that need to be added? Editing your 3d model is lame, you built a ranger, why would your ranger randomly transform into someone else?
You can alter their outfits, that's good enough.
I used your own sig because, AFAIK, getting armour on your rangers doesn't actually change their appearance at all. If you start the game with a helmet or goggles, you're stuck on having them on the character model for ever.

That's intentional, armor in the game doesn't change your appearance because they didn't want to force rangers to have to choose between character appearance and durability, it's illogical, but it's a concious design choice. The clothing items do in fact change your appearance, at least the ones I've tried. Goggles are probably a hair part, and can't be removed.
I just tested to make sure, you can even remove default hats, and you'll have a hairstyle that you didn't choose.(A bit jarring actually.)

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You are an idiot. It is illogical that wearing power armour doesn't change your appearance.But, we know why it doesn't. Lack of money.

You are an idiot. It is illogical that wearing power armour doesn't change your appearance.But, we know why it doesn't. Lack of money.
That makes no sense you fucking retard, they added all kinds of clothing bits that you can swap between in game, they could have easily fixed it so equipping armor had that effect. They didn't because telling rangers apart at a glance in a party of 7 is better when they don't all look the same, I imagine keeping the Ranger's individual character was also a concern.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as custom portraits are concerned, there's an incredibly easy fix as long as you didn't use one of the defaults.

Say you used "custom_01.png" aka picture #1, as your custom portrait for Joe Ranger. But you don't like picture #1 any more and you want him to look different. So you get picture #2, put it in the custom folder, delete or rename picture #1, and rename picture #2 "custom_01.png". Now Joe Ranger will look like picture #2 the next time you load the game. Boom.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's pretty lame.

Eh, it's fresh as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it failed in the end but at least they gave it a shot. I kind of like the idea that aesthetic custmization isn't bound and rooted to the game mechanics. See an earlier RPG Codex discussion about pink helmets. Turns out, a fair amount of Codexers are actually LARPers when it comes to ugly equipment. I'm not, but I can't say that ugly shit doesn't annoy me.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I'd prefer if I could wear the poncho and cowboy hat on top of my armor. I remember in Morrowind you could wear a robe on top of your armor and only the shoulder pads would be shown giving you a bad ass look and there was no clipping or anything. Unfortunately it seems the cost of this kind of customization has gone up in today's high tech development and features we had 10 years ago are now to expensive to implement despite most games having ridiculous budgets. That's progress I guess...

circ

Arcane
That makes no sense you fucking retard, they added all kinds of clothing bits that you can swap between in game, they could have easily fixed it so equipping armor had that effect. They didn't because telling rangers apart at a glance in a party of 7 is better when they don't all look the same, I imagine keeping the Ranger's individual character was also a concern.
This is exactly why we did it. There were concerns about party member differentiation in the later game when everyone has similar armor. You can always change clothes to make your guys look how you want.
Too bad the clothes don't actually work. Unless it was meant that a priest's battle vest look the same as a black combat vest and that bondage attire look like a frilly neon green cut-off blouse. That weren't even consistent between characters in some cases.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad the clothes don't actually work. Unless it was meant that a priest's battle vest look the same as a black combat vest and that bondage attire look like a frilly neon green cut-off blouse. That weren't even consistent between characters in some cases.

Many pieces are only designed for one gender or the other. There is no female top hat mesh so the Top Hat only looks like a top hat on men. Aside from doing twice as much work coding meshes, I guess they could have just forced clothes to be unequippable by the wrong gender, but eh, I'm fine with being able to equip them and having them look like something else.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
using game engine portrait generator is a nice try. but looking at the models and variation it could make, its a pretty silly mistake to let it be static from the start. Not thatt im too bothered by it since I just use customcportraits

laclongquan

Arcane
IT is actually nice that we can replace it. The custom portraits one can gather on Net can be endless, but the number of playthrough is not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom