Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Civilization: Beyond Earth announced

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like there's no altitude.

exe

Augur
If they don't want doomstacks, why not do it like Galciv2's fleet logistics? As in you could only combine a certain amount of ship together which increased with tech. There, no more doomstacks and no need to nerf everything into the ground so you can't get a carpet of doom. Also doesn't breack the AI.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they don't want doomstacks, why not do it like Galciv2's fleet logistics? As in you could only combine a certain amount of ship together which increased with tech.

Yes, that would be an ideal compromise. I hated the old stacking system and I don't have a problem with the new one but a limited stacking would be better. There are plenty of suggestions on the CivFanatics, with different combination of melee, ranged and air or mounted, infantry and mount counter...stuff like this.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't read the articles yet. Is it explained why they didn't call it SMAC 2?

Xbalanque

Educated
Dickie, they did.
I read the article in Polish and they gave no source about them saying that. Anyway, they do not want to do the same stuff as the factions will be originating from the civilisations (don't really see the idea behind the implementation).
I agree, the limited stacking would be the best option, I didn't really like the original civ stacking but couldn't understand the praise for the Civ V changes as they weren't as awesome as they said.
http://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=84557

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I checked the Gamespot thing and it has something listed with today's date about a comparison between the two. Maybe it'll explain why this was decided. Also, I found this kind of interesting.

Before you land on a new planet and start shaping humanity’s destiny, you must first equip your expedition. Referred to as "the seeding," this is an expanded version of your civilization selection in previous games. In Beyond Earth, not only do you choose which faction (read: civilization) to play, but also which spacecraft to take, what cargo to carry, who to bring, and the type of planet you want to inhabit. Each selection you make will greatly impact the start of your game: you could carry high-quality cargo that grants additional funds up-front, for instance, or hard-working, production-oriented colonists who build structures faster.

Quote here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/beyond-earth-takes-civilization-to-the-stars/1100-6418906/

Grim Monk

Arcane

That's a good point, my highly educated guess is the Civilization brand is much, much better known, mainly because it's been kept alive all those years.

Take2 owns Firaxis, and bought the rights to Sid's old MicroProses IP's from Atari:
Civilization
Railroads
Colonization

But they don't own Alpha Centauri.
SMAC was published by EA back when Firaxis was still independent, so EA owns the IP.

If they wanted to call this SMAC 2, they would first have to negotiate with EA for the trademark.

That's a good point, my highly educated guess is the Civilization brand is much, much better known, mainly because it's been kept alive all those years.

If you consider a lich or a zombie alive, then the Civilization brand is indeed quite living.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
All this talk of space colonization makes me want to start up Enemy Nations. The developer made the game and its source code free a few years ago.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sid Meier's Mass Effect: XTREME SHEPARD Edition

That sounds like a great last hooray. If Sid decides to retire and Bioware decideds to burn itself down.
Grab the cash from one last humongous hype and sail into the sunset. Sid Meier's Mass Effect.

Yes. Yes. I can see that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom