Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commissioning concept artwork

denizsi

Arcane
Why don't you go buy Unity3D Pro with Unity3D Android, for a total of 2700$ atm, and you will also get a free Nexus One and can reportedly adapt the code from PC build to the Android build relatively easily and make some profit from Android market as well.

soggie

Educated
denizsi said:
Why don't you go buy Unity3D Pro with Unity3D Android, for a total of 2700$ atm, and you will also get a free Nexus One and can reportedly adapt the code from PC build to the Android build relatively easily and make some profit from Android market as well.

I evaluated U3D before (along with C4 engine and UDK), but finally decided on rolling my own 2.5D engine using Ogre3D as a renderer.

Prosper

Educated
Great choice Soggie! Now i won't have competition from you in about 10 years. by then i will have my Computer Science Degree, a fully made unity3d game purchased by someone, and sumo wrestling amounts of information about art, game design, and programming/scripting.

j/k. you can do it.. if you use Ogre. I started out with just Direct3D on some of my game attempts.

soggie

Educated
Prosper said:
Great choice Soggie! Now i won't have competition from you in about 10 years. by then i will have my Computer Science Degree, a fully made unity3d game purchased by someone, and sumo wrestling amounts of information about art, game design, and programming/scripting.

j/k. you can do it.. if you use Ogre. I started out with just Direct3D on some of my game attempts.

I got my Software Engineering degree 6 years back. :roll:

Murk

Arcane
Mind if I ask if you are a native English speaker?

soggie

Educated
@Mikayel

No, me no native engrish speaker. It's my second language.

@denizi

Simple. I'm not going to go full 3D. The reason being I don't have the kind of talent nor the kind of funding to pull off a convincing full 3D game. While it's not impossible to use Unity3D to do a 2D game, or even a 2.5D game, I don't think pay for that much is worth it when I have better alternatives out there.

I'm willing to pay for art assets, but I'm very anal when it comes to spending on programming things.

denizsi

Arcane
Alright, solid reasons but "not impossible to use for 2D & 2.5D" is an oversimplification. Even now, there are plenty of commercial 2D games (mostly for iPhone) using Unity and some of them are big hits.

Anyway, I was curious if you had a reason from programming point of view.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
That quoted price for pieces of artwork is pretty standard. It seems high until you divide it by number of hours spent per piece. Most contract programmers charge at least $50/hour, so yeah, it's comparable if not quite a bit cheaper.

Remember, contractors always charge a fair bit more than an office worker, in terms of cost per hour, because it's less stable work.

soggie

Educated
denizsi said:
Alright, solid reasons but "not impossible to use for 2D & 2.5D" is an oversimplification. Even now, there are plenty of commercial 2D games (mostly for iPhone) using Unity and some of them are big hits.

Anyway, I was curious if you had a reason from programming point of view.

I have 2. One knee-jerk and another is a more detailed analysis.

Okay before I start, I need to highlight two other engines that I evaluated at the same time: UDK and C4 Engine.

This is the goal I set for my game:

It should have 2D environment with 3D characters. The reason being, with 2D environment we can include a lot of details without having to worry about polygon count, and 3D characters are used to cut down sprite work, especially when you have a large number of equippable items available.

The above is the high-level technical goal of the engine. The following are nice-to-haves:

• Per-pixel lighting and shadows
  • Rain and thunderstorm effect with particle system
  • Fog effect

• Now coming back to the system, let's see. C4 Engine is purely 3D, and while it costs the least compared to the rest it is pretty well architectured. Unfortunately when I asked in their forums on whether their engine could accomplish the above, the simple answer was no. The complex answer was "the effort to achieve it is not economical".

Next I went to UDK, and backed off once I saw the licensing scheme. 25% royalty seems too much on top of cuts taken by distribution channels.

So we're left with Unity3D, and while it has a pretty impressive toolset (that even people like Proper can use to do something fairly palatable), I don't see any way the editor is going to help me accomplish my original mission - 2d environment with 3d characters. At best, I'd only use a small subset of it, and that's a complete waste of money if you ask me.

And then we come to the most crucial factor here: I am a programmer. I can't do art, but I can direct. That's why I believe paying for art assets are justifiable but paying for coders is not because I'm paying them to do work that I myself can do. This is the knee-jerk reaction.

Finally, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. There's a perfectly fine 3d engine/library out there called Ogre3D, with most of the functions that I need and doesn't lock me into a specific production pipeline. This means that I can pretty much define my own process, which is the main reason why I prefer lower level libraries to higher ones. This is the same driving philosophy that led me to choose Zend Framework over Codeigniter and Symphony, if you're talking about PHP frameworks.

soggie

Educated
Naked Ninja said:
Btw, interesting blog Soggie. :)

Thanks. I'm an avid reader of your blog too. It's pretty hard to find indies who blog verbosely about their work and thoughts nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom