Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan RPG Kickstarter

Dedup

Augur
Has any one had a look at the new Conan game being Kickstarted by Modiphius?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game

It seems interesting and the art looks good though I'm not familiar with the system. I was wondering if any Codexers have played any of the company's other 2D20 games and what their opinion of the system is.

Andhaira

Arcane
Nice! Thanks for posting this, downloading the free quickstart from drivethru now!

I own the Mongoose d20 version plus some supps; it was great for a d20 game. had some great additions to the d20 ruleset that made it gritter. Loved the sorcery system.

I've heard great things about Mutant Chronicles 3ed, but never played it. So I can't remark on the system; but let me read over the quickstart and get back to you if possible

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they screwed up by making the Kickstarter at the same time as 7th Sea's one.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Skimmed through the rules. I've also never played any of Modiphius' previous games, but the Quickstart rules give off a very Howardian feel. For example, they have a resource called Momentum that you can accumulate to hit harder and better. Reminds me of 13th Age's Rogue which has a similar feature. :greatjob:

I think they screwed up by making the Kickstarter at the same time as 7th Sea's one.

It's not just 7th Sea, they've got competitors like Apocalypse World and Weird War I too. Still, all things considered I'm glad they're doing well. :P

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Ha noticed they got Carl Crichlow as one o artists, I say use his Thrud the Barbarian an not Conan, fuck me old White Dwarf used to be good back in day.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The artist lineup has me really intrigued, but the playtest rules leave me feeling kind of flat. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it has a very "storygamey" sort of feel to it (GMs threat points and other shit like that). Like most of the rest of you guys I'd be very curious to hear experiences with the 2d20 system.

Andhaira

Arcane
There's a thread over at rpg.net where the developer is directly interacting and answering questions if you are interested.

Pakistan internet is banned from rpg.net so i can't directly link you (too lazy to proxy my way over there atm; plus I have to get ready for work soon-ish)

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I'm fucking pumped for this, since I love the original setting. Even the trailer was awesome and they've managed to bring the "Anvil of Crom"!

Andhaira

Arcane
RPG.net is a cesspool anyway. Different opinions are not tolerated.

Yes, it is incredibly ironic how controlling/fascist they have become. Not only is literal freedom of speech basically banned, but so is freedom of thought. You have to conform to the hivemind or you are out. Someone (called OldGeezer) who used to play with Gary Gygax, including running solo dungeons with Gygax as the DM, has been banned from there multiple times just for being 'old fashioned' (espousing Christian views) For a forum that caters to creative minded people this is basically a death knell (it would be but most gamers with nonconformist views just ignore Tangency, their GD section basically) and it makes you really appreciate places like the Codex where you can talk freely and talk your mind (and all that entails). It's no wonder this place exploded after the gamergate events.

For myself I've been banned 3-4 times from there, after which I basically stopped going. I only really went for the rpg discussion and rpg related news; before the net really exploded late last decade and then the kickstarter craze rpg.net was the only place anywhere to discuss RPGs. Sure you could talk about D&D on ENworld or d20 products on other forums, and in the west you still had brick & mortar stores and conventions and the like, but for non westerners and also fans of non d20 systems RPG.net was it. But I couldn't resist going in to tangency once in a while, and ended up getting banned. Even writing the word zionism can get you banned from there now since 4-5 years ago. :lol:

Once i got banned because I said I enjoyed watching episodes of Sarah Palin's reality tv series (don't ask; it was back when her media star was rising and I had plenty of free time on my hands due to being unemployed for many months. )

Still read reviews on it though or visit for discussions on stuff like this (conan) because devs directly post there.

</rant>

Dedup

Augur
I've looked through quickstart rules and skimmed through both rpg.net threads posted by Andhaira and nikolokolus. The rules appear pretty solid and the developer posts give me a good feeling about how they intend to handle magic and how combat rules will be expanded from the quickstart.

Though I haven't played pnp in a very long time now I backed for the physical copies of all the books because I'm a complete whore for that kind of stuff. Between this and the 7th Sea kickstarter my bank account is going to take a real beating next month. One of these days I'm going to have take some of the RPG books off my shelf, find a group and play one of these damn things.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
RPG.net is a cesspool anyway. Different opinions are not tolerated.

Yes, it is incredibly ironic how controlling/fascist they have become. Not only is literal freedom of speech basically banned, but so is freedom of thought. You have to conform to the hivemind or you are out. Someone (called OldGeezer) who used to play with Gary Gygax, including running solo dungeons with Gygax as the DM, has been banned from there multiple times just for being 'old fashioned' (espousing Christian views) For a forum that caters to creative minded people this is basically a death knell (it would be but most gamers with nonconformist views just ignore Tangency, their GD section basically) and it makes you really appreciate places like the Codex where you can talk freely and talk your mind (and all that entails). It's no wonder this place exploded after the gamergate events.

For myself I've been banned 3-4 times from there, after which I basically stopped going. I only really went for the rpg discussion and rpg related news; before the net really exploded late last decade and then the kickstarter craze rpg.net was the only place anywhere to discuss RPGs. Sure you could talk about D&D on ENworld or d20 products on other forums, and in the west you still had brick & mortar stores and conventions and the like, but for non westerners and also fans of non d20 systems RPG.net was it. But I couldn't resist going in to tangency once in a while, and ended up getting banned. Even writing the word zionism can get you banned from there now since 4-5 years ago. :lol:

Once i got banned because I said I enjoyed watching episodes of Sarah Palin's reality tv series (don't ask; it was back when her media star was rising and I had plenty of free time on my hands due to being unemployed for many months. )

Still read reviews on it though or visit for discussions on stuff like this (conan) because devs directly post there.

</rant>

Wait...YOU were banned from an Internet Forum????

:what: :M :M :M

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You guys realize that TSR did a Conan RPG back in 1985, right?

conanboxset.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Accounts in the Pledge Manager for Conan will be locked down after today. Also I upped my pledge to Hoard because there's a crapton of stuff included. Even if the game does suck, at least I'll get enough sourcebooks for the rest of my life to mine ideas from.

(But I'm seriously hoping it doesn't suck. Please please please don't turn out to be shit.)

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Will Andy Richter be in the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom