Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy's Afterreport: The Witcher 2

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I finally finished last night, and I'd like to share my thoughts on the game in my own thread instead of at the far end of that other, 50+ page TW2 thread elsewhere here in GRPG. I think the game deserves some reflection by others like me who were and are too lazy to trudge through that behemoth of a thread, the RPG in question being the minor yet terse tour-de-force in my estimation it was.

So yeah, I really did like it.

My overall impression of The Witcher 2 is one of largely satisfied gratification, but incomplete as a game in its efforts to thoroughly win me over. It's certainly the best action RPG I've ever played, surpassing F:NV and TW1, mainly due to its quality and responsible execution, missing the mark in only a few ways.

From the very outset, I appreciated all the attention to detail, no particular aspect of the game standing out, or on my toe as it were, as being obnoxious or lacking, save for its technical performance which eventually mostly got solved with the patches. Geralt's presence, his depicted demeanor and behaviour throughout the movie reels that dominate the game, seemed quite on to me and engaging. Everything from the excellent lip-synched animations, to the use of the otherwise useless to me cinematics throughout, the clean soundtrack, the pleasing natural (non-piss-filtered) color palettes -- it all added up to a game that if I were involved in its development, would be proud of.

Not having read... uh, any, of Sapkowski's fiction, I found myself often referring back to my journal and struggling a bit to immerse myself into the plot and my place in it, but the interestingly contrasting block art flashback sequences filled in some blanks nicely and were elegant touches. The art direction in particular probably impressed me the most with this title. The credits listed, IIRC, only a single individual responsible for this, and if true, that man deserves an extra potato.

The abruptness of the game didn't upset me too much. I can handle a short but sweet classic. Rather, its restrictive environments turned me off a little. Some of the areas extended out a little more than I had expected on initial inspection of that area's map, but playing a game in a closet is the feeling I eventually came away with. I think, had we gotten a much larger world to tromp around in, Witcher 2 might've gone down in RPG history as one of the all-time greats. Whatever inevitable expansions CDPR have planned will certainly march their way through my DSL modem at first sight.

Geralt's control scheme didn't take long for me to master, the double-tapping dodge technique soon feeling oddly appropriate. I hated the delay casting Quen and I think my left ring finger and my keyboard's Q key are both beyond repair, but that was a pretty obvious near-cheat anyway so I can't complain too much. The also restrictive nature of most of the combat arenas actually contributed to the fighting's enjoyment IMO, forcing me to remain alert all the time. Autoaim was wonky, yes, but learning to stay on the periphery of most enemies' groups gave me a good glimpse into the role of a Queensland Heeler and was thus doggone good. I especially enjoyed the stand at Vergen even though the fog and all them actors conspired to kill my precious framerate.

There were a lot of loose ends that I'm sure were intended to be and will be tied up, the developers knowing they already had a solid and very polished (heh) title ready to unleash, so I'd like to give an ovation to them Serczwieksy's and other weirdly-named farmers over there for a job well done. There are many other aspects of the experience that go beyond what a casual backwords look like my little post here should and can cover, and that's actually a sign of a really good game.

This is one of those ones that I'll recall fondly for a long time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I agree with most points here.

Except I found TW2 a horrible ARPG, what kept me going was the great storyline and conversations, that game has many memorable characters. Also, tits.

FatCat

Educated
I personally liked combat , but it definitely has a lot of room to improve.

I am exited as never to see Witcher 3.Things they can do with all the feedback and working engine is mind staggering.

laclongquan

Arcane
I havent played it so I cant comment much. But one thing I do note is that Bloodlines is short as fuck, constricted as hell, really alike to playing game in a closet. Those points dont keep it from being what it is. So no, your worry on that point is not very real.

Phelot

Arcane
One thing that I can't commend TW2 enough about is the weapon design. Finally, some reasonably realistic looking weapons that don't include glowing green runes, extra spikes, and 50 foot long handle.

Actually, everything looked great. At times the graphics look a little muddy for me, but otherwise it looks nice. The soldiers especially look like what you might expect medieval soldiers to look like as opposed to WoW character sex idols.

I commend CDP on this amazing feet even though it seems like it should be the norm.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really liked it.

Not as much as you though.

I can't forgive the extend to which a major part of the gameplay - combat and customization - is completely gimped to the point where it makes the first game seem like a glorious star.

It's pretty good regardless, though.

corvus

Arcane
phelot said:
One thing that I can't commend TW2 enough about is the weapon design. Finally, some reasonably realistic looking weapons that don't include glowing green runes, extra spikes, and 50 foot long handle.

Actually, everything looked great. At times the graphics look a little muddy for me, but otherwise it looks nice. The soldiers especially look like what you might expect medieval soldiers to look like as opposed to WoW character sex idols.

I commend CDP on this amazing feet even though it seems like it should be the norm.

itz a fantasy NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE REALISTIC OMG

Yeah I got some nice nerdgasms seeing all those soldiers in the siege camp. But, some of the character designs were kinda on the dumbfuckery side. They kind've went a little overboard with the belts and straps on Triss, Iorveth, etc. Good thing it wasn't consistent for all characters.

I pretty much had the same feeling for the game as Crispy did, though with not as much satisfaction at the end. Only played through it once, and haven't had the urge to play again, unlike the first game when I went through again soon after. Could be because the overall theme of the game was more bombastic than in the first, not sure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Excidium said:

Except I found TW2 a horrible ARPG, what kept me going was the great storyline and conversations, that game has many memorable characters. Also, tits.

So, basically Mass Effect with better writing?

laclongquan said:
I havent played it so I cant comment much. But one thing I do note is that Bloodlines is short as fuck, constricted as hell, really alike to playing game in a closet. Those points dont keep it from being what it is. So no, your worry on that point is not very real.

Bloodlines is short but, in fairness, was rushed by the publisher. Even then you have to consider the differences when playing through as various clans lending itself to multiple playthroughs. I'd rather have a 25ish hour game that has three or four significant playthrough variants than a 50ish hour long one that has one.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Metro said:
Excidium said:

From what i've seen of Mass Effect so far, I'd say TW2 has more going for it than just the writing. Things like the pacing, the fighting, or the character building is better. Granted, I'm not saying it's the best evar!1!!!11 but compared to Mass Effect it is better.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Metro said:
Excidium said:

Hm. I don't know, calling it "Mass Effect with better writing" brings some shitty connotations that don't really apply. Twitcher 2 is actually a p. good game, just could use more open maps and a better combat system.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Well its on discount now...so i guess i can buy it without showing enthusiasm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Excidium said:
Metro said:
Excidium said:

Hm. I don't know, calling it "Mass Effect with better writing" brings some shitty connotations that don't really apply. Twitcher 2 is actually a p. good game, just could use more open maps and a better combat system.

I know it made some decent improvements from the first. I guess I can see how on the one hand you'd call it a horrible ARPG (which the first was and the second I'm sure probably is) but still a good game. Third person action game with good dialogue, setting, and quests?

deus101

Damn...it runs sluggy as hell on my laptop....

Also...the insane difficulty seems interesting but then again, you die because you can't twitch fast enough so that makes it moot.

deus101

God fucking damnit, movement is shit, aiming is shit, everything is awkward!

Console SHIT!

SHIT SHIT SHIT!

The previous controls is MUCH more preferable!

If you are gonna make an ARPG THEN ATTLEAST GIVE SOME SOME FUCKING CONTROLS!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
deus101 said:
Console SHIT!

SHIT SHIT SHIT!

unicorn-poop.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
deus101 said:
Damn...it runs sluggy as hell on my laptop....

Also...the insane difficulty seems interesting but then again, you die because you can't twitch fast enough so that makes it moot.

Your laptop is shit. Play it on a real gaming machine.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, gaming on laptop? Ha ha. Go play Dungeon Siege III or something.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crispy I liked your mini review / impressions of the game. Conspired to kill your framerate.. hee hee..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom