Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crossbow mechanics

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Morbus said:
I'm not a crossbow fan. I'm a history/archeology student about to specialize in medieval archeology...

...that messes up measures... :P

That explains a lot. You can't expect someone pursuing a humanistic career to know even the slightest bit about physics. I hate elitist science people, but there are some degrees you can safely bash without sounding like a douche.

Morbus

Scholar
MF said:
Morbus said:
I'm not a crossbow fan. I'm a history/archeology student about to specialize in medieval archeology...

...that messes up measures... :P

That explains a lot. You can't expect someone pursuing a humanistic career to know even the slightest bit about physics. I hate elitist science people, but there are some degrees you can safely bash without sounding like a douche.
Archeology is not really that humanistic you know? ;)

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Morbus said:

Archaeology, archeology, or archæology (from Greek: αρχαίος, archaios, combining form in Latin archae-, "ancient"; and λόγος, logos, "knowledge") is the science that studies human cultures through the recovery, documentation and analysis of material remains and environmental data, including architecture, artifacts, features, biofacts, and landscapes. Because archaeology's aim it to understand humankind, it is a humanistic endeavor.

Edit : Who the fuck are we kidding? You're still in high school.

Morbus

Scholar
MF said:
Morbus said:

Archaeology, archeology, or archæology (from Greek: αρχαίος, archaios, combining form in Latin archae-, "ancient"; and λόγος, logos, "knowledge") is the science that studies human cultures through the recovery, documentation and analysis of material remains and environmental data, including architecture, artifacts, features, biofacts, and landscapes. Because archaeology's aim it to understand humankind, it is a humanistic endeavor.

Edit : Who the fuck are we kidding? You're still in high school.
You must have no clue whatsoever. In our course, we study scientific matters, not only history. We study the materials, we study biology and anthropology, we study building techniques, and we have a great deal of practical exercises, that often involve going to the field and studying the environments, dealing with notions from geology and topography most of the times. No only that, archaeological method involves the knowledge of practical issues concerning the behavior, not only of the human being, but also of the terrain and of the materials in it.

And no, I'm not in high school, and you probably should get a clue about what you're talking about before you through that kind of moronic accusations to someone's face.

You know, my university, its site? You can find my name in it, but I'm not giving you the link because you have no clue about what you're talking about. I know, in high school I got the humanistic side, and my university is mainly humanistic, but in some countries, archeology is thought in science universities... Not in Portugal, no, but that doesn't it's an humanistic science and that's it. It's not like linguistic or history, it's a mix of many things, and, as I said, it's not that humanistic. You know what the word "that" means?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
While I find this current line of conversation scintillating, could I have your attention for but one moment Morbus? I would private message you, but people here tend to be extremely rude and not reply back, even when your message contains a few questions. How is the FAQ coming along? And yes, I will keep hounding you every fortnight until I see something!

Edit: This topic is soooooo fucking boring!

Marsal

Arcane
Well, it seems we have wandered completely off topic (not that we were on topic before). How about we just let this thread die?

Morbus, you made your point. The crossbow certainly is/was a formidable weapon, if not the ultimate one (in medieval times). I'm sure your insight in medieval societies will be a great asset to The Codex in the future. Just make sure you verify all the facts and sources before starting a crusade :)

Now go finish that FAQ, you know how young Jedi gets when people neglect his baby :wink:

Morbus

Scholar
Jedi_Learner said:
While I find this current line of conversation scintillating, could I have your attention for but one moment Morbus? I would private message you, but people here tend to be extremely rude and not reply back, even when your message contains a few questions. How is the FAQ coming along? And yes, I will keep hounding you every fortnight until I see something!
Do so :P

Anyway, it's on stand by now, as pretty much everything else in the life of "Morbus"... My outside life has been quite busy, but I think, maybe in two weeks or so, it will give me a break and I'll be back... I've been having exams and works to do, which is quite a pain in the ass as I can't even play games...

I will keep you all updated though, don't worry. And PM me whenever you feel like it. I don't bite.

Marsal said:
Well, it seems we have wandered completely off topic (not that we were on topic before). How about we just let this thread die?

Morbus, you made your point. The crossbow certainly is/was a formidable weapon, if not the ultimate one (in medieval times). I'm sure your insight in medieval societies will be a great asset to The Codex in the future. Just make sure you verify all the facts and sources before starting a crusade :)

Now go finish that FAQ, you know how young Jedi gets when people neglect his baby :wink:
Sir yes sir :P

cardtrick

Arbiter
What exactly is it that has to be done with the FAQ? It would be nice to see it posted somewhere again. If it's a matter of wanting to update it . . . why not post the current version for now and then fix it later, when you get the time? If there's some formatting work that needs to be done to get it ready, and you don't have time for that, I'd be happy to help out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom