Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk Action-RPG

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
restricted area

Repressed Homosexual
I really loooved the atmosphere of Shadowrun SNES and especially its music.

Shadowrun on Genesis has surprisingly good writing and a great setting, but ultimately it's ruined by all the terribly generic randomly generated quests. I also didn't like how everything depended on one or two random dice rolls in infiltration missions, and there were lots of these, all very hard since there were many things that could easily go wrong. Also the bars and most of the buildings were super tiny and sucked. Shadowrun SNES is far from perfect, but overall constitutes a superior experience, since the flaws of the Genesis version ruin the whole experience.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I actually loved TRON 2.0. Shades of System Shock...

Jump button sucked. Need a grab button to go along with it.... With jump mods, you either overjumped, or underjumped.

I guess I'm going to bump Restricted Area if I can't find anything else. I'll come back cringing, but at least my curiousity will be sated.

Someone just needs to figure out random generated loot + hacking + keycodes would work VERY, VERY well aboard a spacecraft in isometric, action-RPG manner. Son, I'd design that game myself if I had any mad skillz at all behind a computer.... It would be worth surprising myself with the results. In fact, I already outlined a pretty damned crazy plot, full of ideas...

Anyone wanna help? :D

Marobug

Shadowrun SNES>Shadowrun Genesis

And what's up with whoever said it has a jRPG vibe ? The art style is almost a copy-paste of every 2D rpg released between 1993 and 1996.
Just because it's on the snes it doesn't mean it's a jRPG, might as well check out some screenshots before spitting shit.

Eyeball

Arcane
I feel that I, once again, have to come out in defense of Restricted Area. What it is is essentially Diablo 2 with guns, more repetitiveness and a far better skill and gear system as well as a pretty interestingly done hacking minigame if you play as the pink-haired hackerette Jessica.

Hacking essentially transports you to a Tron-like sublevel which has your transparent avatar run and gun against ICE shaped like pyramids and spiked balls and loot datanodes for cash, weapon upgrade blueprints and hacking points, hacking points being used in the "real" world to power useable skills like deployable turrets, landmines and laser drones.

While you can probably finish RA in about 5 hours if you beeline through the storyline, RA takes a page out of Genesis Shadowruns book by providing you with the opportunity to run endless randomly generated "shadowruns", each one requiring you to penetrate a heavily defended installation and assasinate/rescue a scientist or steal an item. You will then be returned to the main town and rewarded with cash and reputation points useful in building up your character to meet fresh challenges in the storyline.

Personally, I have a huge soft spot for RA and replay it once every few years due to the extremely handy and morbidly hilarious equipment system - instead of equipping armour, you equip pieces of cyberware that drops off enemies, meaning you will be carrying aroung a backpack full of dismembered limbs and organs by the end of any mission.

The game IS indeed very repetitive, but it has enough fresh ideas and an interesting enough setting to warrant a playthrough, IMO, especially if you play as Hacker Jessica.

Oh, and Genesis Shadowrun is the better Shadowrun game - a playthrough is absolutely justified for its excellent "contact" system and the fact that the hacking minigame is extremely innovative, especially considering it came out about 1995. Shadowrun SNES is more atmospheric, but it's much more linear and there's just less to do than in its Genesis cousin.

CorpseZeb

Learned
jorgamesh said:
Neuro Hunter

No... no... not Neuro Hunter! Unless you love subminimal graphics design, very weird ideas about gameplay (collecting unusable trash to make more unusable trash) and guys with very disturbing, big hands...

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO NONONONONONONONO

SHADOWRUN FOR GENESIS IT IS ARPG AND MORE RPG THAN ALOT OF SHIT COMBAT ACTUALLY TURNBASED UNDER THE HOOD MOVEMENT SPEED AND FIRING SPEED ALL GOES BY STATS RARE FOR ARPGS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ALSO I AM STILL DOING A SHADOWRUN GENESIS WRITEUP FOR THE CODEX SOMEDOA

flabbyjack

Arcane
Shadowrun on the Genesis had some great RPG features that haven't been reproduced.

Random encounter: A shadowy figure walks out from a nearby ally and motions you over, what do you do?
1) Throw a grenade and run
2) Walk over to him
3) Walk away
4) Open fire

and the 'shadowy figure' is of course a randomly generated individual, maybe hostile, maybe a hooker, or a drug pusher, etc.

The random encounter timer is screwed up though, sometimes you get two encounters, seconds apart. Nobody did random encounters like Shadowrun, except maybe King of Dragon Pass.

circ

Arcane
Blade Runner? I haven't played that since around the time it came out, but as far as I remember, it had nothing RPG about it. An excellent game, but it's just adventure with some arcade parts.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO ALSO THE DEFINITIVE TRON GAME IS TRON DEADLY DISKS FOR THE INTELLIVISION BROS I LOVED THAT GAME

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom