Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Cynic's Grim Dawn Alpha Impressions

Cynic

Arcane
For the purposes of the beta though it was actually alright IMO.

Yeah true but their forums have a few morons on there and it's like OMGZ scaling suxxors chage teh scaling naooow

They should have just explained it was just for the alpha. I didn't get to play on build 9 so have no idea what it was like.

Darkforge

Augur
Didn't grab me, I went back to POE pretty quick. Also I think the graphic style is pretty uninspired and almost seems like a step backwards from TQ

Balor

Arcane
This review got me interested enough to 'not remove it from inventory'... and I got hooked for a couple of days straight (while I was recovering from cycling overload). Graphics are nice, combat is satisfying and loot progression seems just right. Story and exploration is rather rudimentary at this point, but does show promise. Too bad wizard class is not implemented yet, and summoner is pretty lame - perhaps someone can suggest a good build?
Off to buy Pioneer pack.

Cynic

Arcane
This review got me interested enough to 'not remove it from inventory'... and I got hooked for a couple of days straight (while I was recovering from cycling overload). Graphics are nice, combat is satisfying and loot progression seems just right. Story and exploration is rather rudimentary at this point, but does show promise. Too bad wizard class is not implemented yet, and summoner is pretty lame - perhaps someone can suggest a good build?
Off to buy Pioneer pack.

Yeah Arcanist is missing sadly. What did you not like about the Occultist?

Pure soldier is a lot of fun. I mixed with a demolitionist and it gets fucking crazy at times man, really fun.

Balor

Arcane
Off to buy Pioneer pack.

Pure soldier is a lot of fun. I mixed with a demolitionist and it gets fucking crazy at times man, really fun.

Spells are rather weak, summons die easily, don't inflict a whole lot of damage and usually suck at 'keeping aggro' - meaning you have to kite like mad, running around in circles (cue Yakety Sax) while your hellhound takes feeble bites out of enemy asses. Of course, I don't have much 'pet damage, speed, etc' items, but this is way too much hassle. Perhaps I'll backup saves and mess around with respeccing.
So far demolutionis is the most powerful class. Flashbang + high attack values => almost 100% crits chance with +3-+5 multipliers popping up pretty often. In fact, I think flashbang is pretty much the most OP skill in the game. Maybe it's usefulness will wane on higher difficulties, though.
And cluster bombs are pretty insane. Grenado is very powerful too.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Off to buy Pioneer pack.

Spells are rather weak, summons die easily, don't inflict a whole lot of damage and usually suck at 'keeping aggro' - meaning you have to kite like mad, running around in circles (cue Yakety Sax) while your hellhound takes feeble bites out of enemy asses. Of course, I don't have much 'pet damage, speed, etc' items, but this is way too much hassle. Perhaps I'll backup saves and mess around with respeccing.
So far demolutionis is the most powerful class. Flashbang + high attack values => almost 100% crits chance with +3-+5 multipliers popping up pretty often. In fact, I think flashbang is pretty much the most OP skill in the game. Maybe it's usefulness will wane on higher difficulties, though.
And cluster bombs are pretty insane. Grenado is very powerful too.
So the summons work in the same way as Titan Quest, without items to improve them, they are pretty weak.

Balor

Arcane
So the summons work in the same way as Titan Quest, without items to improve them, they are pretty weak.

Btw, watched youtube with high-level summoners and demolutionists playing.
Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uWMItGWcdY
Fire strike only build. Items are good, but I would not say truly godly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfMx1OdzgtU
Summoner build. Noticed how he is completely bedecked in +pet damage items... and notice how much running around he has to do still, compared to "Mk 19 grenade launcher on two spindly legs' firestrike demolitionist.

Cynic

Arcane
I think the Occultist can't really survive easily as a pure class, it needs to be dual classed. I've got a Soldier/Occultist going that is really fun, lots of stunning/slowing AoEs from the Occultist with tanking and strong melee abilities from the Soldier when in close range.

I think the dog summon looks like shit though, they should really re do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom