Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex "Deus Ex" means: Extract God

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok, I'll explain.

"Deus Ex" means: Extract God. Which is what Shodan is all about.

And, of course: the main idea behind the game "Deus Ex" is, that you get a goal and a simulated environment. Nobody cares how you fulfill that goal, just that you do. Although the way you do it hopefully has consequences. That's what made it the best game ever.

Take the System Shock 1 world, make it into a simulation and connect all the goals through a story. And that's what Warren seems to want.

Joy! :D

SymbolicFrank

Magister
"Deus Ex" means: Extract God
no.

Deus ex is short for "deus ex machina"
The rest you can google it and stop bullshitting people on the internetzs.
"Deus Ex" is two Latin words. You can google them.

Yes, often used as part of "Deus Ex Machina", or "God from/in the machine". And ambiguous in the game Deus Ex: it can refer to the AIs, to the ending, to enhancing people with machines, and even Page using machines to behave like a God.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
no.

Yes, often used as part of "Deus Ex Machina", or "God from/in the machine". And ambiguous in the game Deus Ex: it can refer to the AIs, to the ending, to enhancing people with machines, and even Page using machines to behave like a God.

deus ex does not mean extract god
GET IT?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if Warren Spector sees it as extracting emergent gameplay from the simulation.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
GET IT?
"The New Latin term deus ex machina is a translation of a Greek phrase and means literally "a god from a machine." "Machine," in this case, refers to the crane that held a god over the stage in ancient Greek and Roman drama."

In Latin, "ex" means: "Out of, Out from".

Facts are a bitch, right?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
GET IT?
"The New Latin term deus ex machina is a translation of a Greek phrase and means literally "a god from a machine." "Machine," in this case, refers to the crane that held a god over the stage in ancient Greek and Roman drama."

Are you retarded?

deus ex doesn't mean EXTRACT GOD you fuckin dimwit!
Do you even remember what you wrote or are you just continuing to quote internet pages?

If anything, "deus ex machina" could be interpreted as INSERTING the god in the stage play, not EXTRACT him.

Do you even know basic English and know the difference between words like extract and insert?
Or in your smooth brain they're the same?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
GET IT?

Are you retarded?

Do you even remember what you wrote or are you just continuing to quote internet pages?

If anything, "deus ex machina" could be interpreted as INSERTING the god in the stage play, not EXTRACT him.

Do you even know basic English and know the difference between words like extract and insert?

Well. I might have agreed after your first post that you were right and I'm over-analyzing it. Because, sure, why not.

no.

But you're throwing a tantrum because someone on "the internetzs" disagrees with you...

Get a life. Or grow some skin.

And I will probably disagree with you, just because of that.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
GET IT?

Are you retarded?

Well. I might have agreed after your first post that you were right and I'm over-analyzing it. Because, sure, why not.

no.

But you're throwing a tantrum because someone on "the internetzs" disagrees with you...

You never agreed and recognized that you're bullshiting.
You just cherry-picked half-quotes from the internet, played dumb and sent me to "google" because of your sorry ass bruised ego.
... such enligthment...

Next time someone from "the internetzs" calls your bullshit, grow a pair and acknowledge.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
GET IT?

Are you retarded?

no.

You never agreed and recognized that you're bullshiting.
You just cherry-picked half-quotes from the internet, played dumb and sent me to "google" because of your sorry ass bruised ego.
... such enligthment...

Next time someone from "the internetzs" calls your bullshit, grow a pair and acknowledge.

Well, I think about things. I see them from many perspectives. There is no "right" and "wrong", or even "shades of gray". Just a bunch of facts and many ways people might put them together.

The things I consider facts probably don't even register on your radar. Let alone that you might imagine that different people have a different view of things. Because you're just another anonymous dumbfuck on the internetzs, who thinks shouting and cussing wins arguments.

"It's... Grotesque!"

:cool:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Well, I think about things. I see them from many perspectives. There is no "right" and "wrong", or even "shades of gray". Just a bunch of facts and many ways people might put them together.

The things I consider facts probably don't even register on your radar. Let alone that you might imagine that different people have a different view of things. Because you're just another anonymous dumbfuck on the internetzs, who thinks shouting and cussing wins arguments.

What a bunch of sickening double-talk from a fucked-up slag that doesn't know when to give up because of an over-inflated ego.

And by the way, I won the argument a long time ago because what I said about the Latin phrase is a fact.

The slander is a bonus because you're an imbecile with no sense of the ridicule situation he's in and that tries to weasel his way out of it.
And I don't know from where the shouting nonsense you got a hold on.
When reading my words, imagine Morgan Freeman's voice calmly telling you to choke on a dick.

The only thing that is really important here is that you're a simpleton without a spine that thinks that deus ex means "extract god" and blabbers like a lunatic about radars, shades, perspectives.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

What a bunch of sickening double-talk from a fucked-up slag that doesn't know when to give up because of an over-inflated ego.

And by the way, I won the argument a long time ago because what I said about the Latin phrase is a fact.

The slander is a bonus because you're an imbecile with no sense of the ridicule situation he's in and that tries to weasel his way out of it.
When reading my words, imagine Morgan Freeman's voice calmly telling you to choke on a dick.

The only thing that is really important here is that you're a simpleton without a spine that thinks that deus ex means "extract god" and blabbers like a lunatic about radars, shades, perspectives.
What is it with your aggression you fucktard? And you even got it wrong; Deus ex maquina literally means “the god in the machine” and it is a theatrical reference of when plot devices would get miraculously fixed by the end of a play by some mysterious means which would defy the logic of the play itself.
It has been used for hundreds of years as an allegory for this and is a very critiqued plot device for somehow solving everything.
And finally the developers used it as a reference of the game where it goes all metaphorical about the concept of God and what it is to be human

So get your god damned facts straight before you start attacking people with your bullshit or buy some new batteries for the dildo you have stuck up your ass

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Deus Ex means: "boobs are nice and round"

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

What is it with your aggression you fucktard? And you even got it wrong; Deus ex maquina literally means “the god in the machine” and it is a theatrical reference of when plot devices would get miraculously fixed by the end of a play by some mysterious means which would defy the logic of the play itself.
It has been used for hundreds of years as an allegory for this and is a very critiqued plot device for somehow solving everything.
And finally the developers used it as a reference of the game where it goes all metaphorical about the concept of God and what it is to be human

So get your god damned facts straight before you start attacking people with your bullshit or buy some new batteries for the dildo you have stuck up your ass

You got your fanboy tag because you were caught sucking that other retard's cock and now you feel obligated to intervene?

It seems you don't even know what is this all about, you witless schmuck.
Because it seems you're a functional illiterate, go back a page or two and and read again slowly. Your brain will hurt at first but in time maybe you'll gain some comprehension.

As a reward for yourself you can crawl the fuck back to the hero-u thread and continue circle-jerking off there.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You got your fanboy tag because you were caught sucking that other retard's cock and now you feel obligated to intervene?

It seems you don't even know what is this all about, you witless schmuck.
Because it seems you're a functional illiterate, go back a page or two and and read again slowly. Your brain will hurt at first but in time maybe you'll gain some comprehension.

As a reward for yourself you can crawl the fuck back to the hero-u thread and continue circle-jerking off there.
What a sad little boy you must be to vent all your frustrations with stupid attacks and comments, if you think your opinions somehow matter you are sorely mistaken, we only care not to read your retarded spam in every single thread you dumb down with your bullshit and Sheldon Cooper badassery

Hell you have not even made a single comment about videogames let alone RPGs in most of your posts
Truly the name you have chosen for your avatar fits you well “a very ugly or comically distorted figure, creature, or image”

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Hell you have not even made a single comment about videogames let alone RPGs in most of your posts
again you prove you're illiterate. but that is old news

I think Grotesque also pointed that out as well, and very likely a huge advantage for non-Americans playing F2, imo.
I was tagged by the great Avellone in a discussion involving Fallout 2, so that is that! Last time I checked, Fallout 2 was a game :)
But joke aside, really... get a grip (and a trip to the doctor)

we only care not to read your retarded spam
Because you're too preoccupied with other fancy stuff like mentally jerking off, farting truisms and banal food for thought for other retards who pay attention to your nonsense.
I can live with that... so carry on with what you do best.
But I will not align myself to what you think I should do around here, you bombastic self-righteous little cunt!

if you think your opinions somehow matter you are sorely mistaken
I care least if my opinions matter or not.
But what the fuck it has to do with opinions you dumb shit!
I was not debating on opinions. I was stating a fact -
- deus ex doesn't mean "extract god" like the other dimwit stated.

we only care not to read your retarded spam
Besides you being an imbecile, you're also a liar it seems because you read my "spam" and cared enough to say something which in the end enforced my point and that is hilarious! :)

Truly the name you have chosen for your avatar fits you well “a very ugly or comically distorted figure, creature, or image”
INVICTUS
Oh man... I could shit on your carefully chosen name for weeks but I will not sink to your level.

PS: again, deus ex does not mean "extract god".
Now you can go and plant yourself in a ditch somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom