Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Differences between Geneforge and Avernum?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm tempted to try the Spiderweb stuff out, but can't really decide to begin with which yet.

From what I understand, the main differences between Geneforge and Avernum are:
1. Party composition. Geneforge is solo with personal creatures, Avernum is team based. In some way it's like Geneforge = Fallout while Avernum = Eye of the Beholder.

2. Avernum is more combat oriented than Geneforge (more combats, more dungeon crawls).

3. Geneforge have slightly more and better C&Cs.

4. Geneforge's setting is unique and more interesting.

5. Geneforge's grafix is better than Avernum 1-3.

Also from what I've heard, it seems that each of Avernum shares much of the same stuff, thus it'll be perfectly fine to start right with 5. While the Geneforge series share less of the repeated stuff, so it's more plausible to start even from 1.

Any comments? Right now I'm looking for GF 1 to start out.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Geneforge has animations.

Yes, there are no animations in Avernum. I don't know what he has been thinking, either.

Play GF 1, really. It's pretty nice. I hate it, though; like all of Vogel's abominations, but they're likely the best RPGs you can get at this point, so take my dislike as a personal one.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'd suggest Nethergate. It's quite neat. And it's cool to see both sides of the story, since they interweave at certain points.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Play GF 1, really. It's pretty nice. I hate it, though; like all of Vogel's abominations, but they're likely the best RPGs you can get at this point, so take my dislike as a personal one.

Hey, I've heard you hate the Witcher with a huge passion, and it just happen that I'm another CDProjekt fanboi. Does that mean GF 1 might fit my taste? :)

As for the graficks, well, I've played a tiny bit of both GF1 and A1, and I must say A1's art look way too silly and comical to me, especially the paper dolls. o_O

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's lots of choices and consequences, so yes, you should like that. My gripe lies with the rather unfun combat and the so/so writing, but by all means, try it; I am sure if you can get past these two things you should have a great RPG time.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
My questions concerning geneforge:
1. Is here any good non combat gameplay?
a. Are there stealth options
b. Can objectives be solved with dialogue or other non combat options?
2. How is the "feel" of geneforge, is it different enough from medeivl fantasy to call it its own setting?

Antagonist

Liturgist
LCJr. said:
There are demos.

And quite long, to boot. I think I've read that the Geneforge 1 demo covers about 25 percent of the whole game. I can't tell for sure though since I've bought the game after the first 10 areas or so.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
cubgrace said:
In my book, Avernum 3 is top 5 RPG of all time. I loved it.

Actually, Exile 3 is what got me hooked onto Vogel's stuff. It just felt like he tried constantly to get your party wiped in random buildings off the beaten path.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The interface in first 3 Avernum games is different. Almost everything can be controlled by the keyboard, and I really like this fact. Also, the first 3 games are quite different from each other even if they share some of the locations; it's also nice to be able to follow the history of the world so I'd say starting with part 5 is a bad idea. Why not grab a demo for Avernum 1?

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Actually, one curious thing about 'em Spidweb games and me. Although I've played each and every one of the newer ones (this would rule out the Exile series), and quite extensively at that, I've finished only three of them - Geneforge 3, Nethergate and Avernum 4. I dunno why, simply got bored after a time, or detracted by something else. I'd still say that the time spent was not wasted, all in the name of good fun.

You might want to do as Elwro said, even if you don't really feel like trudging through those quite lenghty games, at least wander around a bit and get the gist of the plot. It makes the setting more enjoyable.

BTW. Avernum 5 has got some of the best crafted encounters I've ever witnessed. That's the point - if the game's gonna' be combat heavy, at least make it interesting. Very varied, even requires some effort on the player's part.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Biggest difference, engine wise, is the lack of an overland map in the Geneforge engine. This means that the engines feel and play completely differently. The Avernum engine worked great for Avernum/Exile, while the Geneforge engine worked great for Geneforge. These new Avernum games in the Geneforge engine feel like sacrilege whenever I try to get into one.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Ok, after a little more in depth playing I find both GF and A to be great stuff. GF feels like Fallout while Avernum feels like Ultima. I must admit at first I don't feel like the setting of Avernum 1-2 at all (I HATE being stuck in the underground, like Arx Fatalis - still a nice game though), but then I find the underworld of Avernum seems like bigger than grand Cyrodil (lol?).

BTW the GF1 C&C seems REALLY interesting, even though I always play the nice guy type in RPGs, the "to kill or not to kill" questions in GF1 are rather hard to face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom