Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Double Fine’s next Kickstarter game is Massive Chalice

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
See. You have faith in a small, inexperienced studio. I have faith in a veteran studio, which made good, although somewhat consolised games. We will see how will they turn out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you aren't on the DF payroll, J_C, you should be.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just like every good journalist: never met a game he didn't like!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Should you be skeptical and inquisitive about game concepts and the credentials of the people making them? Yes, that is appropriate not just for Kickstarter, but for all games. Should you be a shit-eating loudmouth idiot about something you don't know anything about on a forum where nobody likes you? The verdict's still out on that one, Branm.

The generational bloodline idea is very cool and this reminds me of a couple of games that have done similar things - a few of the Fire Emblem games, Generation of Chaos, some of the Koei and Paradox strategy games. This sounds like it could be pretty good and depending on how things go, I might back this.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should you be skeptical and inquisitive about game concepts and the credentials of the people making them? Yes, that is appropriate not just for Kickstarter, but for all games. Should you be a shit-eating loudmouth idiot about something you don't know anything about on a forum where nobody likes you? The verdict's still out on that one, Branm.

The generational bloodline idea is very cool and this reminds me of a couple of games that have done similar things - a few of the Fire Emblem games, Generation of Chaos, some of the Koei and Paradox strategy games. This sounds like it could be pretty good and depending on how things go, I might back this.
Sure. The problem is that the KS video contained two parts parody, two parts unfunny skit, two parts weird whiteboard drawings and finally one part interesting game idea. In addition to that they have next to no experience with the genre, the project is manned by what one must consider to be DF's bench and it was all just terribly unfunny, oh my god what is wrong with you people?

Ehm.

It might turn out pretty awesome (I would love for that to happen) but I remain sceptical. The success of the campaign is almost assured anyway, so I feel comfortable sitting this one out and purchasing this once it comes out, if the game is good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

While I'm sympathetic to your view, there is a reasoned criticism to this pitch, and evdk sums it up nicely.

Borelli

Arcane
All this "they have no experience in turn-based" talk, i don't understand it. Are the gates of TB locked for anybody who didn't work on X-COM or JA? Any good game designer is not a one trick pony and should AT LEAST be familiar with several genres. I personally would love to see the spin that Double Fine will put on this genre.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Their previous foray into the realm of strategy (albeit RT) did not end so well.

So taken in context: Noname creator with zero actually exciting titles under his belt - strike one. Zero experience with the TB genre - strike two. Previous attempt to leave their comfort zone being a mixed bag - strike three.

But it's not that I'm unwilling to give this a chance, it's just that I do not believe in the project enough to preorder.

Their inspiration is actually the NEW X-Com game, and there will be no "political incorrectness". As expected. I'm not buying this hipster shit... :killit:

:troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you aren't on the DF payroll, J_C, you should be.
One can only dream...

So taken in context: Noname creator with zero actually exciting titles under his belt - strike one. Zero experience with the TB genre - strike two.
Oh come on, people pledged for other devs like these. FTL (although not TB), Expeditions comes into mind first, but I'm sure we could find some more. And although not on kickstarter, lets not forget about AOD. :troll:Does VD have any previous game which could be a reference?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh come on, people pledged for other devs like these. FTL (although not TB), Expeditions comes into mind first, but I'm sure we could find some more.
Yeah, but Expeditions had a full trailer of the game, with tons of gameplay, not just a funny video with 30 secs about the actual game... this feels like the guy had a ideia, wrote it on a napkin and then ran to Kickstarter...

evdk

Patron
Oh come on, people pledged for other devs like these. FTL (although not TB), Expeditions comes into mind first, but I'm sure we could find some more.
Yeah, but Expeditions had a full trailer of the game, with tons of gameplay, not just a funny video with 30 secs about the actual game... this feels like the guy had a ideia, wrote it on a napkin and then ran to Kickstarter...
And Vince has all his posting history here on the 'Dex, so you know what you can expect, and he only made the pre-orders available after two demos, one of which showed one full city full of gameplay. This has an interesting idea and a company with a troubled history.

Eyeball

Arcane
I expect it to be a Classic DF game. As in, beautiful, funny, stylish, original and charming, but with mediocre gameplay.

Will still buy. Cuz Tim Schaefer. And so will you.

evdk

Patron
I expect it to be a Classic DF game. As in, beautiful, funny, stylish, original and charming, but with mediocre gameplay.

Schaefer has nothing to do with the game. Iron Brigade wasn't good. You do the math.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Still, most Kickstarters are like Double Fine's. They don't have too much to show, just the idea. That's why I'm not upset about it. This is how lots of kickstarters roll. I understand for many, this is not enough. For me, if the company is one I know I can trust, I pledge.

Schaefer has nothing to do with the game. Iron Brigade wasn't good. You do the math.
It was good.

Branm

Learned
lo 8-10 hrs length.... oohhhh rly??? ROFL the lack of track record developing anysort f tactical game already showing.

How long will the game be?
We’re too early in development to estimate the length of a typical campaign, but we’re aiming at a length similar to the new XCOM game, ~8-10 hours. We’re also focusing on replayability and investigating time-scale options so you can tailor the campaign’s length to your liking!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Is the new X-Com really 8-10 hours long? I though it was longer?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is the new X-Com really 8-10 hours long? I though it was longer?
Well, it's a game that really depends on the player... I beated it in 208 days, the huge battleships didn't even show... was probably around 8hs, but I can see it bloating a lot if you lose entire teams or farm some OVNIs...

Absalom

Time-scaling to "adjust" campaign length? That isn't adding length, that's fafffing about to pad game play. :decline:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Meh. Seems like a Fire Emblem rip off and idgaf about Fire Emblem. And Massive Chalice is massive fail at naming.

But hey, I'm glad all the gay-marriage obsessed Kickstarter backers have finally found a game to hijack with their political agenda call home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom