Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Origins text volume?

Baron

Arcane
Ah, you must be Gaider's red dated alt.

It's RPG text. I didn't purchase Pong. If you tell someone to skip the plot, lore, dialogues, and quest notes of an RPG what am I playing? A clumsy squad based Diablo.

Actually I did stop reading the text. At the 1.8 million mark. Just. Couldn't. Make. It.... To. The. End. Fuck. Your. Assertion. That. I. Was. Expecting. Classic. Literature.... As. A. Minimum.... Standard.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm surprised the game had that much text, because it felt like they cut the text out in some places. Instead of traditional side quests, DAO had those fucking billboards with no flavor text about why the player should give a fuck.

Angthoron

Arcane
Xor said:
I'm surprised the game had that much text, because it felt like they cut the text out in some places. Instead of traditional side quests, DAO had those fucking billboards with no flavor text about why the player should give a fuck.

I was very surprised by those billboards, and by the side-quests in general. Thieves' den? Gather 8 quest with a 20-word description. Chantry? Already handled. I'm guessing they were too busy writing flirt lines for Morrigan and Zhevran and such.

On the serious side though, this is a classic case of padding. I'm quite sure that the side-quests of that sort didn't even exist to begin with until someone in the boardroom said that guys, you know what, we should give the players more of a chance to get that shiny armor, and that extra level-up. Go on and add in some quests, but since we can't really integrate them into the current build properly anymore, just make it minimal.

So it isn't cut content, it's content that got hastily sewn on.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's true, I remember reading how they added all those job board quests during the six month-delay it took to port it to consoles. And it's not like they didn't have traditional side quests (I recall Orzammar being full of them with every other area getting maybe a couple).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Esquilax said:
Then don't fucking read them. I don't understand what the problem is.

Yeah, Dragon Age had dialogue ranging from cheesy and eye-roll inducing to decent at best, but ffs, you don't go into a title like that expecting BROthers Karamazov.

You are absolutly right. I just ignore the tedious dialogue and writing and concentrate on remaining fun parts of the game. There are a lot of them. Right guys? Right?

Hey, at least the combat is kinda fun. Ah wait, no it was utter shit. Hey, but you can ignore the combat too! Well not really ignore, since its mandatory. But while your hacking trough endless tons of trashmob, just close your eyes and think of Bioware.

After all, for going trough this chore you will be rewarded with a piece of dialogue and a cutscene. Yeah, it will propably be shit. But you can ignore it!
I mean hey, you don't go into a title like this expecting Brothers Karamazow and Jagged Alliance 2. No. You expect a shitty game, so be happy with your shit and like it. Just ignore the game while playing trough it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Here's a thought, if it's shitty, don't play it at all. R00fles!

Angthoron

Arcane
Gondolin said:
I think even the writers themselves hate having to write all that fluff

Nah, at that level the writers are professionals. They don't give a shit either way. It's all in a day's work.

Yeah, this.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well actually, he's wrong. How would we know it's shitty if we don't play it through seven times?

Gondolin

Arcane
Since we're talking about DA2, you should do the smart thing. Play the game for a bit, preferably until you hit the fabled Derp Roads, then use your head and do the right thing. If you don't like the game, click that Uninstall.exe and... voila!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom