Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DragonAge by Green Ronin

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So...with the popularity of Bioware and faGGot Age on these here foramz I am shocked and awed there is no discussion about the pnp variant of DA by GreenRonin.

Anyone here play it? I've read the basic set and it's not bad. It's geared towards combat mostly though. And no, not like 'every other rpg out there' because in the basic set at least mages did not even get utility spells. Only straight attack spells usable in combat. Pretty pathetic IMO.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Never checked it. Licensed game where the license doesn't interest me is kinda of a waste of time to even read.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a mention about DragonAge, the tabletop rpg by Greenronin based on the ip of Codex GOTY 2009.

Is it really that 'meh'? I checked out Box set 1 and it seemed a bit bland. There were no out of combat spells or talents.

How are the adventures released for it?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't even know about this, lol. Honestly I haven't liked much by Green Ronin except M&M which I had reasonable fun with.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Surprisingly, the DA tabletop RPG has a small but dedicated fanbase in Hungary. They tend to bring up the following advantages:
  • it is a self-contained game with a limited scope (it covers 5 experience levels, and separates adventure types into combat, exploration and social scenarios);
  • the rules are super-easy, fast-paced and action-centric;
  • the boxed set is newbie-friendly, and very well presented for beginning players (although in Hungary, there is a language barrier) as well as GMs;
  • the box has a beginning adventure that's apparently pretty great as an intro scenario;
  • the game has very good production values (it uses Bioware concept art);
  • support material isn't overwhelming, but what exists keeps up the quality, and extends the scope of play to higher levels.
I have never played the game, but it seems to me that DA consciously tried to recreate the publication strategy which had made basic D&D successful in the 1980s, while also relying on the popularity of a well-known CRPG.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Surprisingly, the DA tabletop RPG has a small but dedicated fanbase in Hungary. They tend to bring up the following advantages:
  • it is a self-contained game with a limited scope (it covers 5 experience levels, and separates adventure types into combat, exploration and social scenarios);
  • the rules are super-easy, fast-paced and action-centric;
  • the boxed set is newbie-friendly, and very well presented for beginning players (although in Hungary, there is a language barrier) as well as GMs;
  • the box has a beginning adventure that's apparently pretty great as an intro scenario;
  • the game has very good production values (it uses Bioware concept art);
  • support material isn't overwhelming, but what exists keeps up the quality, and extends the scope of play to higher levels.
I have never played the game, but it seems to me that DA consciously tried to recreate the publication strategy which had made basic D&D successful in the 1980s, while also relying on the popularity of a well-known CRPG.

Hungary must be really behind the times because Box Set 2 & 3 have been out for a while (2 being out for years now) and thus the game goes from level 1-20 now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, I guess I might be talked into having a look one of these days, though I'll never be playing it in the actual DA-world.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Turns out there already was a thread for this... with two posts in it :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom