Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All the bitching and moaning I see from codexers about ED seems puzzling yet is expected. Isn't it pretty much exactly like the original Elite (ie no end game, no hand holding, etc) but bigger, with updated mechanics, modern graphics and online play? I have this (the base game only) in my Epic library when it was free 3 years ago and now I'm trying to get it transferred to Steam (BEHEAD EPIC STORE AND THEIR HEINOUS GAME LAUNCHER!). I heard if you give Frontier.uk an Epic CD-key as proof of purchase, they'll send you a Steam key free yet I have no idea how to find my fucking Epic store activation code since the game has already been activated. If I get the Steam key, then I can just buy the expansion from a key shop for about $6, and... PROFIT! Otherwise I have to get the Super Supreme Deluxe Commander's Edition for twice that to get both the base game and the expansions. I'll be getting a VR system next month and this is supposedly real sweet with that.

Maybe they'll take your Epic receipt, you can email yourself through a link receipts from your transactions on EGS. Granted if it shows that you took a free redemption, will they still give you a key? Seems unlikely, but worth a shot even if that's how you got it.
Yeah, I contacted Epic and sent them the original receipt with a big fat

TOTAL:$0.00 USD

on it, asking for a key after sending an earlier email with my Order/Invoice #. After an initially friendly reply to that first email, asking for a screenshot so they can understand what type of code I was asking for, I then sent the screenshot/original receipt, and I was rewarded with... The Silence of God. They still may respond but it's been over 24 hours.

**** TIM SWEENEY HAS PERSONALLY DELETED YOUR EPIC GAMES STORE ACCOUNT ****

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
All the bitching and moaning I see from codexers about ED seems puzzling yet is expected. Isn't it pretty much exactly like the original Elite (ie no end game, no hand holding, etc) but bigger, with updated mechanics, modern graphics and online play? I have this (the base game only) in my Epic library when it was free 3 years ago and now I'm trying to get it transferred to Steam (BEHEAD EPIC STORE AND THEIR HEINOUS GAME LAUNCHER!). I heard if you give Frontier.uk an Epic CD-key as proof of purchase, they'll send you a Steam key free yet I have no idea how to find my fucking Epic store activation code since the game has already been activated. If I get the Steam key, then I can just buy the expansion from a key shop for about $6, and... PROFIT! Otherwise I have to get the Super Supreme Deluxe Commander's Edition for twice that to get both the base game and the expansions. I'll be getting a VR system next month and this is supposedly real sweet with that.

Maybe they'll take your Epic receipt, you can email yourself through a link receipts from your transactions on EGS. Granted if it shows that you took a free redemption, will they still give you a key? Seems unlikely, but worth a shot even if that's how you got it.
Yeah, I contacted Epic and sent them the original receipt with a big fat

TOTAL:$0.00 USD

on it, asking for a key after sending an earlier email with my Order/Invoice #. After an initially friendly reply to that first email, asking for a screenshot so they can understand what type of code I was asking for, I then sent the screenshot/original receipt, and I was rewarded with... The Silence of God. They still may respond but it's been over 24 hours.

**** TIM SWEENEY HAS PERSONALLY DELETED YOUR EPIC GAMES STORE ACCOUNT ****
Don't say that. It's Friday night and I did some edibles so when I saw your post I really thought he did!

ind33d

Educated
I threw out my shitty flight stick assuming I could use Meta Quest 2 controllers for Elite in VR and they don't do anything. Literally how the fuck
Well, that's disappointing. Can you control anything in ED using the Meta Quest controllers or is it one of those VR gaming experiences that's basically like playing a PC game through a 3D Viewmaster toy
anl6OHz.jpg
from the 1960s strapped to your head ? Good thing I still have my Thrustmaster flight stick with the hall effect sensors in storage.
I literally can't even operate the menu with the Meta Quest 2 controllers, never mind play the game. If I recall correctly, I got Steam Controller to work for Elite once. So I can use a Steam Controller, but not the controllers that shipped with the headset I bought to play Elite. top lel

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I threw out my shitty flight stick assuming I could use Meta Quest 2 controllers for Elite in VR and they don't do anything. Literally how the fuck
Well, that's disappointing. Can you control anything in ED using the Meta Quest controllers or is it one of those VR gaming experiences that's basically like playing a PC game through a 3D Viewmaster toy
anl6OHz.jpg
from the 1960s strapped to your head ? Good thing I still have my Thrustmaster flight stick with the hall effect sensors in storage.
I literally can't even operate the menu with the Meta Quest 2 controllers, never mind play the game. If I recall correctly, I got Steam Controller to work for Elite once. So I can use a Steam Controller, but not the controllers that shipped with the headset I bought to play Elite. top lel
Then I don't know why they all rave about ED in VR if you can't even use the Meta Quest controllers. It's my understanding that unless you can move your hands/limbs/body with the VR controller and see that represented on the screen, VR is a poor and almost pointless experience. I remember John Carmack during Doom 3's development was really excited that it would be adapted to VR. Then he tried it with just a gamepad or whatever (no VR controllers back then) and he was like, "WTF? This sucks!" From the Big Man himself.

ind33d

Educated
anl6OHz.jpg
Then I don't know why they all rave about ED in VR if you can't even use the Meta Quest controllers. It's my understanding that unless you can move your hands/limbs/body with the VR controller and see that represented on the screen, VR is a poor and almost pointless experience. I remember John Carmack during Doom 3's development was really excited that it would be adapted to VR. Then he tried it with just a gamepad or whatever (no VR controllers back then) and he was like, "WTF? This sucks!" From the Big Man himself.
I've played Doom 3 VR on a potato and it was still so immersive I have Vietnam-level flashbacks of shooting a Hell Knight. VR controller support should be standard throughout the industry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom