Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Eschalon: Book II Review at Gamebanshee

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Basilisk Games; Eschalon: Book II

In the anticipation of Eschalon: Book III's upcoming release, Gamebanshee offers a review of Eschalon: Book II. It feels like a slightly schizophrenic text to me, personally, because even though the reviewer recommends the game, it doesn't sound like it has much to offer at all -- and myself, I don't really feel like playing the game after reading this review. But anyway, have some snippets and judge for yourself:

The campaign in Book I took place entirely in Thaermore. In Book II you get a little more variety. You start out in the Human lands of Mistfell, and then you visit the Dwarves in Nor'land before finally taking on the Taurax in Amireth. Each region has a different look, and there are roughly 50% more map zones in Book II than Book I, making the campaign roughly 50% longer as well (30 hours versus 20 hours).

That's the good news. The bad news is that the world in Book II is far less interesting than in Book I. In Book I you'd almost always find a quest NPC or an ambush or a secret chest when exploring a map, but in Book II you mostly only encounter creatures to kill -- although, continuing with the theme, there are 50% more types of enemies around, so at least you get more variety in what you face off against. The maps get especially bad at the end of the game when you explore a large frozen lake and some grasslands. These areas cover about ten maps but they're flat and boring, and they have maybe five places of interest between them. The endgame maps look like they're just placeholders waiting for the real maps to come in.

[...] The quests in Book II are of about the same quality as in Book I. That is, they're on the simple side where you mostly just need to find an object, talk to somebody, or kill something. Every so often you have to make a decision for how to complete a quest -- like when you meet two people, each of whom claims the other is a lycanthrope -- but for most of the quests you just receive experience points or gold at the end. Surprisingly, despite the 50% theme elsewhere, Book II has roughly the same number of quests as Book I, which helps to explain why some of the map zones feel sort of empty.

[...] One of the complaints about Book I was that combat was too simple. For melee and ranged characters, you pretty much just clicked on an enemy until it was dead, and only magic characters got some variety since they could choose their spells. In Book II, Basilisk Games tried to make combat more interesting, but I don't think the changes had much of an effect. The first change is that you can now choose a combat mode, including normal, power (more damage but less accuracy), finesse (more accuracy but less damage), and parry (which gives a bonus to armor but prevents you from attacking). These modes have their place -- for example, you might switch to parry mode when charging at a ranged enemy -- but I pretty much just stayed with the normal mode.

Then there are weapon feats. Once you advance a weapon skill to rank 10, a special attack becomes available. For Swords, this attack always hits, and it allows you to parry all attacks during the following turn. For Bows, the attack deals 3X damage. When you first get a weapon feat, it takes about 30 turns for it to recharge, but if you keep adding points to the weapon skill, then you can reduce this cooldown to every 4-5 turns. Weapon feats give you something extra to do in combat, which is good, but some of them are too powerful, which is bad. When I played a Bows character, I attacked with the feat, and in the rare cases when that didn't kill my enemy outright, I just retreated for a few turns until I could use the feat again. My Bows character cruised through the game while my Swords character struggled a little, and my Magick User came in somewhere in the between the two.​

Read the review in full here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It happens sometimes when the review text itself focuses mainly on the negative points of a game, while the game itself is actually pretty fun, that the review conclusion does not fit with the actual review.
This is always pretty weird when you read it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yep, gotta say that this "positive review" killed any intention I had on playing the game. :(

And I have no idea on how he managed to play it for 90 hours. Perhaps that is why he sounds so tired of the game...

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Subjective complement to that deconstructive review : don't get your hopes too high on that game and maybe you'll be won over by its charming, atmospheric quality.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I think the Eschalon games are pretty good for what they are - they're clearly not perfect but they're definitely worth trying out, in my opinion. There are demos on the official site. :)

Servo

Arcane
It happens sometimes when the review text itself focuses mainly on the negative points of a game, while the game itself is actually pretty fun, that the review conclusion does not fit with the actual review.

Or maybe the conclusion is "Game not total and utter crap - 99% A++ BEST GAEM EVAR?!"

Ahem. It's a matter of standards...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's one of those games that you kind of like and can see loving with a couple tweaks. I guess the reviewer is frustrated and wanting to love it factor overshadowed that he still dug it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom