Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eschalon out on 19th November

chaedwards

Liturgist
As the title says. Won't be getting it myself, as I have MoTB and the Witcher to play through, and then Geneforge 3 and 4 to go through. Still, hope it does well - looks like a pukka old school rpg.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
For those who don't know what Eschalon is, you can visit the Official Website or look at this trailer on YouTube that was released a few months ago.

A shame they are releasing the demo and the full game on the same day, it would of been nice to have tried the game a couple of days beforehand. If I like it, I'll be more than happy to buy the CD Version. British Pounds are doing good against American Dollars right now. :D

pug987

Scholar
I had heard the name Eschalon but didn't really know what it was about. After reading a bit at the website and having watched the trailer, I'm looking forward to it.

The game world does not scale or adjust itself to match anyone's play style, so the ease or difficulty of the game is directly related to how successful you are at developing your character.

Finally a game that does that!!!!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
It looks like it's trying to emulate a pen-and-paper game as closely as possible, like Fallout or TOEE. Might be good, might not be.

Ladonna

Arcane
We need a cashed up adventurer who is willing to buy it, then review it. Unfortunately I am washing my hair that day. Can we have a volunteer?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I will definitely try this game. It looks promising and hardcore enough. Though the other problem is that that I can't make myself to play any game... even to finish Arcanum.

And I have more hopes for Book 2. The author said he will make a feature for player to have a party and a better interactions with NPCs. Year ago or so I heard something like Book 1 will be a test - will such rpg be needed by someone or not

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
There's going to be a demo. It pisses me off to think people here, of all places, will be idly waiting for a review, but I suppose it's a genuine point of view if you lack the time. Still, you might want to try diverting your time spent posting here to this game, if only because it's independent. If you lack the interest then fine; it doesn't look that great to me either honestly, but I will be giving it a shot for sure.

This is the only dialog shot you can find on the main page : http://basiliskgames.com/screen9.htm

I assume this is going to be an "old school" game, take that for what you will. I enjoy a game of Wizardry like anybody else but the idea that independent developpers are purposedly making "old school" games doesn't really fill me with awe and hope, especially when "old school" means turned-based dungeon romps and treasure hunts. Still, as I said I will be giving it a shot anyway. Guess I'm a really supporter of the cause, or a sucker with time to loose. Which is really the same thing anyway. Boo boo.

Texas Red

Whiner
Does the dialog play an important role? That screen is impressive but the feature page didnt mention anything about dialogs.

Cassidy

Arcane
Finally some light is being shed in the CRPG genre after so many years of darkness

MMORPG.png

Very symbolic...

turned-based dungeon romps and treasure hunts

I guess I'm younger, because I always think first about Fallout when the word oldschool is mentioned. It's a pity it probably won't be my cup of tea:

Website said:
deep into sprawling dungeons

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
The Walkin' Dude said:
Does the dialog play an important role? That screen is impressive but the feature page didnt mention anything about dialogs.

They say it's story-driven. Akin to Ultima, M&M, Wizardry, and Fallout.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
Does the dialog play an important role?

You might find this interesting. Someone asks if dialogue will have stat checks. Don't forget to read down, as the question is misunderstood at first.

Dark Elf

Erudite
I see they don't have a charisma stat. This could actually be a good thing, if other abilities are taken into account instead.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Jedi_Learner said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Does the dialog play an important role?

You might find this interesting. Someone asks if dialogue will have stat checks. Don't forget to read down, as the question is misunderstood at first.
I aprove. That's actually a pretty good way to handle dialouge. It looks like this year could be a good one for RPGs in the end.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Even if the roleplaying side isn't great I'll get it for the TB-combat. I might get the demo but I don't think I'll wait for a review, I know what to expect but my expectations aren't too high - I'd be satisfied with any simple but modern traditional RPG, and I like the guy behind it.

Dhruin

Liturgist
You guys have been following this, right? I mean, some of you guys sound like you have barely heard of it but you are posting on (supposedly) the most hardcore CRPG board there is...so, surely you're all over a turn-based old-school CRPG? You've at least read the Codex' own two interviews with Basilisk, which both discuss dialogue and other pertinent points, right?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Ivy Mike said:
I aprove. That's actually a pretty good way to handle dialouge.
I wonder what happened to the Wisdom and Intelligence checks for Book I, mentioned here. I've finished the game twice, and I don't remember any such checks. Removed before the game came out?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I remember at least one failed Wisdom check when examining a certain daemon statue. I don't think the checks were removed; there just weren't many of them in the first place.

Aothan

Magister
Gah, looks and sounds really good, I'll download the demo for Book 1, one day I'll even play it. At least I know someone else who will be more imminently interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom