Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 question - the skip to Mariposa

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You can tell Harry the supermutant in Necropolis to take you to the Mariposa Military base. There you are stripped of your belongings and put in a cell, where you find the 10mm gun and 3 stimpacks. You can lockpick the door.

No skills will allow you to escape, though, realistically. Unless maybe extreme levels of stealth, I don't know. No matter how good you are with guns, you won't get out, because you get one shot.

What was the purpose of this seeming dead end? Besides, you weren't supposed to destroy the base before delivering the water chip, etc. It's a weird skip into nowhere, you'll have to load. And all it does is dump a bunch of HUGE SPOILERS on you.

Am I missing something?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also, if you sneak out far enough, a mutie will talk to you and take you to the Lieutenant who will INITIATE THE SAME CONVERSATION as when Harry brought you to him.

The entire thing looks like some bugged mess.

Ryzer

Arcane
You can tell Harry the supermutant in Necropolis to take you to the Mariposa Military base. There you are stripped of your belongings and put in a cell, where you find the 10mm gun and 3 stimpacks. You can lockpick the door.

No skills will allow you to escape, though, realistically. Unless maybe extreme levels of stealth, I don't know. No matter how good you are with guns, you won't get out, because you get one shot.

What was the purpose of this seeming dead end? Besides, you weren't supposed to destroy the base before delivering the water chip, etc. It's a weird skip into nowhere, you'll have to load. And all it does is dump a bunch of HUGE SPOILERS on you.

Am I missing something?
Subtly implying to the player that he made a dumb mistake by picking this option as it has consequences, the culpit here is the ability to reload a save.
Losing your advancement would have been a much bigger consequence to your action.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
By savescumming a lot just to test the doability, I ended up sneaking out of it, with extremely lucky eye shots to mutants, disarming them while they're passed out. It still doesn't make sense to me. Even when you make it to the outdoors area, the console gives you a description of the location that implies that you've entered from the world map, not by exiting the building.

And also, why isn't the player given a choice not to surrender his equipment and fight? Another unreasonable thing about this whole idea.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that when you're speaking with the Lieutenant, the real "sneak away" option is supposed to be making the Lieutenant try to punch and torture you, upon which you are supposed to run. He will come after you but quite slowly.

There are also a bunch of Children of the Cathedral guys nearby, it might be possible to kill one, get their card and robe then infiltrate away from Mariposa.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was unable to survive the Lieutenant's torture (maybe I wasn't at full HP?), so I assumed the game over ending where you sell out your Vault was the only option after letting Harry take me to his leader.

I thought it was super cool to get an early look into a mysterious location (I had no idea where I was) and meet this inquisitive villain. But it did feel unpolished and was probably not a priority for the dev team. I wonder what percentage of players even experienced it (especially on a first playthrough).

Jigby

Augur
I think you're overestimating the complexity of Fallout's scripting. There are plenty of console outputs that don't make much sense if you do things out of the default presupposed order.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never understood the purpose of sneaking.
I heard it's better implemented in Fallout 2.
But, come on, bro. We are talking supermutants. You need serious firepower and balls of steel. Cut them down and show them why you are the GigaChad Vault Dweller.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Every time I've talked to Harry about being taken to Lou, it immediately puts me in conversation with the Lieutenant talking head. I've never experienced being put in a cell before.

You say you're just using teamX 1.3.5 - are you sure you didn't incorporate some of wasteland ghost's old mods accidentally?

Jigby

Augur

Every time I've talked to Harry about being taken to Lou, it immediately puts me in conversation with the Lieutenant talking head. I've never experienced being put in a cell before.

You say you're just using teamX 1.3.5 - are you sure you didn't incorporate some of wasteland ghost's old mods accidentally?
You're put into the cell after the interrogation with the Lieutenant if you manage to survive it.

agris

Arcane
Patron

You're put into the cell after the interrogation with the Lieutenant if you manage to survive it.
damn, learned something new!

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Lieutenant#Other_interactions

Snufkin

Augur

damn, learned something new!

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Lieutenant#Other_interactions
  • Sneaking up on the Lieutenant (simply coming near his room will suffice) allows the Vault Dweller to overhear a conversation between him and Van Hagan concerning their imminent discovery of Vault 13. This is worth 1500 experience points
Whaaaa? You learn everyday. Xo

agris

Arcane
Patron
hey Lexx , in EtTu is it possible to recover your stuff if thrown in the cell? this has the trapping of a great 80s jail break scene

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
hey Lexx , in EtTu is it possible to recover your stuff if thrown in the cell? this has the trapping of a great 80s jail break scene
In stock Fallout 1 with patch 1.35 you can. Two muties stand in your way (separated by corridors, they're not together), and all you have is a 10mm gun with one clip.

The way I did it was get a blinding shot on mutie 1. He immediately passed out, I looted his laser rifle and ran past him before he woke up. Unfortunately I'm useless with lasers. Couldn't make mutie 2 pass out, but he got stunned for a round and I took the rifle out of his hands. Then he fought on with bare hands.

Then you got a room of 3 muties, with whom I think you can talk your way out of a confrontation. But by the time I was finished with mutie 2, the alarm had sounded (you're on a timer, I think it'll sound no matter what), so they won't talk. I abused the TB system and ran into the room in combat mode, looted the gear and ran out.

Without savescumming hard, like real hard, this is mission impossible.

agris

Arcane
Patron
In stock Fallout 1 with patch 1.35 you can. Two muties stand in your way (separated by corridors, they're not together), and all you have is a 10mm gun with one clip.

The way I did it was get a blinding shot on mutie 1. He immediately passed out, I looted his laser rifle and ran past him before he woke up. Unfortunately I'm useless with lasers. Couldn't make mutie 2 pass out, but he got stunned for a round and I took the rifle out of his hands. Then he fought on with bare hands.

Then you got a room of 3 muties, with whom I think you can talk your way out of a confrontation. But by the time I was finished with mutie 2, the alarm had sounded (you're on a timer, I think it'll sound no matter what), so they won't talk. I abused the TB system and ran into the room in combat mode, looted the gear and ran out.

Without savescumming hard, like real hard, this is mission impossible.

Awesome. Knowing you were going to do this, a crit unarmed / energy weapons build sounds like it would work without too much savesxumming.

I think this is why they made jailbreak so easy in Lionheart. You are faced with similar scenarios in Barcelona, and I was quite surprised you could actually go to jail and it wasn't a game over. Escaping was easy, but finding your way back to the city was not that simple since I was still underleveled and had nothing on my inventory. Although it does make sense that it's easier to break out from a 15th century jail as opposed to a high tech, 23rd century one.

BruceVC

Magister
I am playing FO1 for the first time with the Fixt mod and Im about 6 hours into the game

Its good fun, its taken me time to learn some of the basic mechanics but now Im comfortable with that and the left and right clicking required. I still am enjoying killing rats in Vault 15 and I always appreciate the specific targeting of enemies that Fallout games provides, I like to aim for the head

Further updates to follow once Im 30 hours or so in
No way you can spend 30h in f1
Why, what am I missing, I feel there is something I dont know?

Pretty sure that when you're speaking with the Lieutenant, the real "sneak away" option is supposed to be making the Lieutenant try to punch and torture you, upon which you are supposed to run. He will come after you but quite slowly.

There are also a bunch of Children of the Cathedral guys nearby, it might be possible to kill one, get their card and robe then infiltrate away from Mariposa.

You can also bring a robe with you. I don't remember if I ever did it that way, but I always assumes that was the "infiltration" path to Mariposa.

You can also bring a robe with you. I don't remember if I ever did it that way, but I always assumes that was the "infiltration" path to Mariposa.
Yes, its perfectly possible to bring a robe and infiltrate Mariposa that way. I've done it before.

You just have to talk correctly and then ignore the Lieutenant, then set the silent self-destruct to leave with no issues.

You can also evaesdrop on a conversion between a Children of the Cathedral guy and the Lieutenant about Vault 13, and gain XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom