Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3 isn’t as bad as you think...

laclongquan

Arcane
I have a feeling that they planned to have all this stuff in there, or at least most of it, from the very beginning because they can't help themselves but to include all the stuff they just recently acquired, like a little kid on Christmas morning. I would have to think they wanted to set it in Washington, D.C. so they obviously needed to have The Enclave there, right? Because it's the Capitol Wasteland!
It is obvious that Enclave was crammed into the game quite late in the development.

If you look at Fallout 2, it has lots of foreshadowing before you actually meat Enclave in the flesh. You have crashed vertibird, comms at nuclear station, Horrigan encounter, New Rino arms deal...

F3 has none of this. There are no signs of Enclave in the game and then it just pops in and is present all around. And likewise, it had almost no connection to any of the side content, Enclave presence revolves mostly around main quest

yeah, one minute I was singing under my breath crawling through water pipe to turn on valve. The next minute Vertibirds flying all over with power armored assholes dropping down. Absolutely no foreshadow.

I mean, if a wave of super mutants attack it would be more understandable, considering all the green ones hulking about. Or a Talon Company attack.

But no, they gotta be deus ex machina event like that~

I made a mod to introduce Enclave recon teams all over DC to foreshadow this, but it's a mod, not official content.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Some retarded amazon show came out and now everyone is suddenly a Fallout fan. That shit is pissing me off.
To make things worse, in addition to the brain-dead consumers who actually like this slop, we have critics of the show with stunning takes like: "Fallout was great until Fallout 4" and "Fallout New Vegas is the best Fallout".

Fuck them all and fuck Bethasda for ruining the franchise. I wish Fallout had stayed dead after Fallout 2.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Since I only played FO/FO2 several years after they'd been released, I was never really that caught up in the thing of those games being a golden memory from youth, enshrined in the most hallowed corner of my mind, so to me FO3 wasn't essentially all that different from the first two games, nor was FO4. (I'm embarrassed to say that I never finished FNV - if I recall, some other shiny object interrupted my playthrough and I never picked it up again.)

It's quite amusing actually, I recall going to one of those shops that used to exist in London in the late 90s, that sold second-hand game CD packages. Up to that point, all I'd played were fps-es, rt strategy games and System Shock. I remember thinking I ought to investigate the CRPG genre, seeing FO and thinking it looked very cool, but also seeing BG and thinking it looked a bit cooler, so I bought it instead of FO. Essentially, that was my baptism into CRGPs, so in terms of CRPG-virgin golden memories I'm more of a BG man than a FO man. (After BG/2 I went the Troika line via Arcanum, again missing out on FO until a few years later.)

To me, the setting is the thing that makes all the FO games good and that's a constant through all of them. One might bemoan the general decline to action-adventure games, or quibble about preferences re. this or that bit of lore but none of it's really crucial or outweighs/negates the mythic, immersive power of the setting (and the music, which is a big part of the FO games - right from the first guitar lick in the Inkspots track at the start of FO).

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Since I only played FO/FO2 several years after they'd been released, I was never really that caught up in the thing of those games being a golden memory from youth, enshrined in the most hallowed corner of my mind, so to me FO3 wasn't essentially all that different from the first two games, nor was FO4. (I'm embarrassed to say that I never finished FNV - if I recall, some other shiny object interrupted my playthrough and I never picked it up again.)

It's quite amusing actually, I recall going to one of those shops that used to exist in London in the late 90s, that sold second-hand game CD packages. Up to that point, all I'd played were fps-es, rt strategy games and System Shock. I remember thinking I ought to investigate the CRPG genre, seeing FO and thinking it looked very cool, but also seeing BG3 and thinking it looked a bit cooler, so I bought it instead of FO. Essentially, that was my baptism into CRGPs, so in terms of CRPG-virgin golden memories I'm more of a BG man than a FO man. (After BG/2 I went the Troika line via Arcanum, again missing out on FO until a few years later.)

To me, the setting is the thing that makes all the FO games good and that's a constant through all of them. One might bemoan the general decline to action-adventure games, or quibble about preferences re. this or that bit of lore but none of it's really crucial or outweighs/negates the mythic, immersive power of the setting (and the music, which is a big part of the FO games - right from the first guitar lick in the Inkspots track at the start of FO).
Idk I think the flanderization of the setting is probably my biggest gripe.

9ted6

Educated
The setting stopped making any sense with Fallout 2. Of every game in the series only 1 tries to be consistent and even it starts bungling near the end where psychic powers are suddenly a thing with no buildup or explanation.
One thing 4 did worse if I remember was that it canonized the aliens as having manipulated everyone into starting the war.
Now it looks like they retconned it into vault tec starting the war because it's good for business to kill most of the earth's population. *honk-honk*
Oh yeah I forgot about that. I'd honestly say it's even dumber than the alien explanation.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are factions with actual bases of operation that have actual goals that kinda, sorta make sense. In Fallout 3, all the factions are retarded and make no sense. Especially side factions and minor settlements. You could argue about the Institute's motivations being kinda stupid, but compare that to FO3 where the central conflict is about who gets to use a water purifier that everyone wants to use, and where there's a city of kids, and a guy in a tower who wants to nuke a city because it ruins his view, etc etc.
Yeah, Fallout 3 had a lot of really bad locations.
Can't forget how Fallout 3 canonized aliens and the cthulhu mythos to the setting either.

One thing 4 did worse if I remember was that it canonized the aliens as having manipulated everyone into starting the war.

Fallout 4 did EVERYTHING worse. Gameplay, lore, setting, performance, graphics. Not a single thing is better than the already low bar set by NuFallout 3.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It is obvious that Enclave was crammed into the game quite late in the development.

If you look at Fallout 2, it has lots of foreshadowing before you actually meat Enclave in the flesh. You have crashed vertibird, comms at nuclear station, Horrigan encounter, New Rino arms deal...
Is anything in Fallout 3 foreshadowed, though? I'll admit that it's been over twenty years since I played it, but I don't remember anything foreshadowing Supermutants until you get close to the radio and there's that gigantic one in the way. That's also how you're introduced to the Brotherhood of Steel, since they're there fighting the Supermutants if I remember right. The Enclave in Fallout 3 at least had the Eyebots broadcasting about The Enclave and that old dude in Megaton talking about how great it is that the government is coming back. By the way, that old dude talking about the government working only works if you're much earlier in the timeline and the old guy is old enough to remember before the war.
Fuck them all and fuck Bethasda for ruining the franchise. I wish Fallout had stayed dead after Fallout 2.
I know we're living in a time when I cringe whenever I hear that they're rebooting or making something new with something I enjoy.
I'm embarrassed to say that I never finished FNV - if I recall, some other shiny object interrupted my playthrough and I never picked it up again.
Fallout New Vegas is pretty easy not to finish for a couple of reasons. The main one is that there's a whole lot of stuff to do of seemingly grand importance. Once you get to a certain point, it's hard to tell what ends up leading to the ending. You think going and visiting Mr. House will be the end, but it's not. You think killing him would be the end, but it's not. You can visit Caesar and think that will trigger the end, but it won't. Maybe picking a fight with Caesar will end it? Nope. The end of Fallout New Vegas is really well done.

laclongquan

Arcane

Is anything in Fallout 3 foreshadowed, though? I'll admit that it's been over twenty years since I played it, but I don't remember anything foreshadowing Supermutants until you get close to the radio and there's that gigantic one in the way. That's also how you're introduced to the Brotherhood of Steel, since they're there fighting the Supermutants if I remember right. The Enclave in Fallout 3 at least had the Eyebots broadcasting about The Enclave and that old dude in Megaton talking about how great it is that the government is coming back. By the way, that old dude talking about the government working only works if you're much earlier in the timeline and the old guy is old enough to remember before the war.
The Super Mutants are foreshadowed quite completely. If we get to Megaton and activate the GN Radio, there's one or two early message about SM shooting and dragging people off. Then following father footstep to get across river, there's a SM shooting raiders encounter there. And right in front of GNR building is a battlezone with SM, complete with Behemoth breaking through.

If being a shortcut player and just run straight to Rivet City (skipping GNR) then after the SM shooting raiders across river encounter, there's SM attacking Citadel's in the southern part.

If somehow skipping all that, there's a SM camp between Jefferson Memorial and Rivet City, implying the source of the SM rooting inside JM.

If skipping completely and run straight to Vault 112, there's no way to avoid one or two SM wandering the wild, unless you metagame like a motherfucker. I mean, you really need not just a walkthrough, but also a detailed map of SM spawns, to avoid all that green hulks spreading around the country side.

The old dude in Megaton is Nathan, an (prewar government then)Enclave fans. He's scripted to be captured and interrogated same time Wanderer caught in V87 and die in Raven Rock. So after that point he's not in Megaton. But before, he's wandering all over the town. he talked about pre-war government but he's not one member. Manya's dialog show he's a caravaneer (same as her) before settle down (she's native, as her Papa was an original founder)

Last edited:

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy

The Super Mutants are foreshadowed quite completely. If we get to Megaton and activate the GN Radio, there's one or two early message about SM shooting and dragging people off. Then following father footstep to get across river, there's a SM shooting raiders encounter there. And right in front of GNR building is a battlezone with SM, complete with Behemoth breaking through.

If being a shortcut player and just run straight to Rivet City (skipping GNR) then after the SM shooting raiders across river encounter, there's SM attacking Citadel's in the southern part.

If somehow skipping all that, there's a SM camp between Jefferson Memorial and Rivet City, implying the source of the SM rooting inside JM.

If skipping completely and run straight to Vault 112, there's no way to avoid one or two SM wandering the wild, unless you metagame like a motherfucker. I mean, you really need not just a walkthrough, but also a detailed map of SM spawns, to avoid all that green hulks spreading around the country side.

The old dude in Megaton is Nathan, an (prewar government then)Enclave fans. He's scripted to be captured and interrogated same time Wanderer caught in V87 and die in Raven Rock. So after that point he's not in Megaton. But before, he's wandering all over the town. he talked about pre-war government but he's not one member. Manya's dialog show he's a caravaneer (same as her) before settle down (she's native, as her Papa was an original founder)
>Enclave radio wasn't enough foreshadowing
lmao

Cologno

Educated
Some retarded amazon show came out and now everyone is suddenly a Fallout fan. That shit is pissing me off.
To make things worse, in addition to the brain-dead consumers who actually like this slop, we have critics of the show with stunning takes like: "Fallout was great until Fallout 4" and "Fallout New Vegas is the best Fallout".

Nah, but New Vegas was pretty damn good any way.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The GNR building was my first encounter with them, so it was just "Here's supermants AND the Brotherhood!" to me. The Enclave radio was more of a foreshadowing for me because of the old man and the eyebot. I don't remember the news thing on the radio at all.
Enclave radio isnt foreshadowing because lots of people, from Three Dog, to others, think it's just canned message god know how long ago.
The Enclave radio might not have been foreshadowing for people who played Fallout 2 because you ended them in that game.

AshenNedra

Novice
I honestly don't know if the writing got worse in FO4, it's equally retarded I think, but FO4 has some things that aren't so bad such as Far Harbour whereas I cannot think of a single moment in FO3 that was well-written
I don't understand people who like FO3 and claim FO4 is retardedly written.

Yes, FO4 isn't a writing masterpiece or anything, but compare it to FO3 and its world actually makes a lot more sense.
There are factions with actual bases of operation that have actual goals that kinda, sorta make sense. In Fallout 3, all the factions are retarded and make no sense. Especially side factions and minor settlements. You could argue about the Institute's motivations being kinda stupid, but compare that to FO3 where the central conflict is about who gets to use a water purifier that everyone wants to use, and where there's a city of kids, and a guy in a tower who wants to nuke a city because it ruins his view, etc etc.

Fallout 4 has a more believable world than Fallout 3. It even has some places that look like they're producing food, which is sorely missing from FO3. The settlement building mechanic (which I ignored because I don't care about building settlements in an FPS) is all about that.

Some people claim Fallout 4 ruined the lore, but these same people are fine with Fallout 3.
Honestly, FO4 feels more like Fallout than FO3. The Brotherhood of Steel, when it appears, is closer to the original vibe than whatever the fuck FO3's goody two-shoes wasteland paladins were. The amount of lore rape perpetrated by FO3 is astronomical. Nobody can seriously claim that FO4 violated the lore worse than FO3. It's physically impossible.
It's been so long that I don't even remember clearly why I hated Fallout 3 with a passion. everything irked me: the view, the systems, the map, the quests.

I never played any Fallout game after dropping the game in disgust after 30hours or so. Not finishing a game is something I rarely do even if I dislike the game.
I even finished DAI for fuck's sake.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're both exactly as shit as the other.

Except Fallout 4 has the retarded battery draining on the power armor, so it's worse. And yes the bullet sponge enemies. How many fucking mini nukes do they realistically expect you to carry around to kill a few sea beats?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom