Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Van Buren Mod now called Fallout: Yesterday

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Well, the guy is a youtuber (aka a retard) making a video about a alpha build of a mod (one of the dumbest thing you could do).
If I was in Hexer's shoes, I'd hire Bulgarian hitman to hunt him down.
Politics, bankers, lawyers and youtubers are really dregs of the society.
The only who act like retard here is you and others naive fools who consider fallout modding scene as "pure" and "perfect".
You did nothing to debunk any critique from "filthy youtuber", only to call him a retard "cuz its alpha".
I love when people making cool mods, I don't mind much if some assets used from other games as long as they look cool.
But if any material shown in video is true - we closer to colonization of mars than to release of the mod. It's not 60% percent done, there much MUCH more work to be done.
The whole thing is mash up from different fallout games with only fraction of original assets, the mod started to deviate from design documents at first location and there needs to be MUCH work to be done to iron out issues with new mechanics.
I do like to play another good fallout mod, but this one looks fucking RAW for something developed 9 years.

Alphons

Cipher
And here's why you don't trust information from some random guy on Youtube.

It's not being developed for 9 years. Previous attempt failed, nothing could be salvaged. Everything that guy showed (plus many others he skipped) was made in less than 2 years.

60% quote was taken out of context. Mod isn't 60% finished, 60% of locations can be explored from the world map, but aren't finished (like the Circle Junction shown in video).

Original assets will replace the "ripped" assets, but they still aren't finished.

Why would you irom out bugs with new mechanics before implementing everything?

Have you read the Tibbets document? It's filled with stuff from different versions of the game and there isn't enough stuff to make an entire location out of it. Some stuff is just there to experiment and will be removed before the final release.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The only who act like retard here is you and others naive fools who consider fallout modding scene as "pure" and "perfect".
You did nothing to debunk any critique from "filthy youtuber", only to call him a retard "cuz its alpha".

I'm not going to debunk shit because i'm not watching youtuber's rants, Sseth being the only exception because he's funny.

And I don't think Fallout modders are pure either, I dislike Sonora and Nevada, Nevada is piss easy and not very interesting overall, well, the whole point of Fallout is getting randomly killed every now and then because something is going to crit with his claws, rpg or minigun, it never happens in Nevada.

Sonora's take is interesting but all that work on the early base for mediocre results, it's better later though.

Resurrection is the true gem, so far, in spite of the cringe writing.

Yesterday, I'll play it when it's released if it gets released but contributing > doing nothing > being a youtuber shitting on someone's alpha build.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I'm not going to debunk shit because i'm not watching youtuber's rants.
Oh, so you did not even watched the video then? This makes situation even worse. At least Alphons gave me some information (and kinda proven that I am wrong)

And here's why you don't trust information from some random guy on Youtube.
I mean technically everybody is some "random guy on internet" to everybody, but I digress.

It's not being developed for 9 years. Previous attempt failed, nothing could be salvaged. Everything that guy showed (plus many others he skipped) was made in less than 2 years.

60% quote was taken out of context. Mod isn't 60% finished, 60% of locations can be explored from the world map, but aren't finished (like the Circle Junction shown in video).

Original assets will replace the "ripped" assets, but they still aren't finished.

After some search over Internet and browsing Facebook (god, what a horrible site design, how could anybody use this on daily basis) I admit: I was wrong about "9 years of development" and some of my other concerns were pointless.
I am sorry for acting rush in my conclusions, I just didn't checked on mod for a long time and thought it's the same attempt.
Well, maybe I don't understand something about fallout modding, but maybe it's better to create one (and rather compact) location to test effects of new perks/skills/races to make sure everything working and THEN create shitload of locations? Because otherwise something might be skipped during the test phase, due to sheer size of the world. Ofc I can be wrong.
Have you read the Tibbets document? It's filled with stuff from different versions of the game and there isn't enough stuff to make an entire location out of it. Some stuff is just there to experiment and will be removed before the final release.
My main concern for Tibbets is it's size for start location, yes, temple in second Fallout was big too, but not THAT big. The tidbits which I have read from design document about Tibbets, were pointing out that player should remain only short time in prison at start of the game and kicked out to explore the world.

Alphons

Cipher
No idea either.

It might be the worst or the best way to make a Fallout mod and we might not know which one is it even if it ever releases.

The second Van Buren mod (by Adam Lacko) is being made exactly how you said- first he ironed out the mechanics and then started working on the rest.

My main concern for Tibbets is it's size for start location, yes, temple in second Fallout was big too, but not THAT big. The tidbits which I have read from design document about Tibbets, were pointing out that player should remain only short time in prison at start of the game and kicked out to explore the world.
Isn't Tibbets in the design docs supposed to be a place where you return multiple times during the game? If so it would make sense for it to be big, or am I misremembering it?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Isn't Tibbets in the design docs supposed to be a place where you return multiple times during the game? If so it would make sense for it to be big, or am I misremembering it?
Well, if I understood correctly, yes, main character should return there at some point. BUT, at start there shouldn't much time spent behind the bars. Meanwhile in current build of the mod (at least according the video) you can travel everywhere at any time (kinda super weird for prison) and talk with npc/doing quests until you stumble on Brotherhood of Steel squad in full (Enclave looking) power armor chilling in one of the rooms and nearby exist a hole (and remains of a destroyed robot guard) through you are can escape. No alarms and inhabitants of prison just thinking that explosion capable penetrating a bunker is just weird noise.

This WAS a bit worrying to me, but after thinking about it and reading information about original plot - I understand desire to change story, because motivation for main villain is a bit stupid for someone who claim to be evil genius.
Anyway, we can fully judge mod after it's release (if it going to release ofc).

Jigby

Augur
0.5 version is out

https://www.patreon.com/posts/hohoho-95273165

"how much % is this of the full game? an expectation is fine."

We get this question a lot but it's a bit tricky to answer
:)

Content wise, almost everything is done with the exception of CGI videos, voice overs and some music tracks. Also Ouroboros and the Nursery were done in the old FOnline engine so we'll have to backport them to Fallout 2 engine.

Now putting all the finished stuff into the game is a different task when it comes to time. I think it took something like 5 or 6 weeks just to properly integrate the Rim art into multiple Hoover Dam locations. While on the other hand, one dev can squash something like 20 bugs in a day of work. So content-wise it's 90% done, while implementation-wise it's 50% done as v0.5 suggests.

All this taken into account, 2024 will be very exciting for classic Fallout fans!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom