Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Feature Creep: The RTS (ZeroSpace by Starlance Studious)

ArchAngel

Arcane
This looks better than that SC2 clone former blizzard devs are working on, what the fuck?
This is also by former blizzard devs and took some sc2 pros to help them. Ex blizzard devs basically split into two dev teams and both decided to make sc2 rip off games :D

And there is a 3rd game that is being made by some sc2 modders that is also sc2 rip off. That one looks weakest out of these 3.
Isn't this one made by the modders & pro players? What's the third one then?

Suicidal

Arcane
This looks better than that SC2 clone former blizzard devs are working on, what the fuck?
This is also by former blizzard devs and took some sc2 pros to help them. Ex blizzard devs basically split into two dev teams and both decided to make sc2 rip off games :D

And there is a 3rd game that is being made by some sc2 modders that is also sc2 rip off. That one looks weakest out of these 3.
Isn't this one made by the modders & pro players? What's the third one then?

Hmm, never heard about this one. Looks kind of rough around the edges but has potential as long as devs try to make an actual game with a proper campaign and not just muh esports.

Also WTF is up with the dev names:

Immortal is being developed by SUNSPEAR, while Zero Space is by STARLANCE. :lol:

-M-

Educated

Stormgate looks more like a hybrid between SC2 and WC3 and I don't think that's going to do it any favors. I imagine this is because the studio is composed of veterans of both games and they couldn't agree to what type of game to focus on. WC3 was never a great RTS. Small armies with overly spongy units were never as exciting as the type of armies you could make in SC. The upkeep system actively discouraged large armies and expansions. The strengths, in the way WC3 was designed, were the hero units which received far too much attention. Of course this led to modders creating the far more lucrative MOBA genre and leaving Blizzard in the dust which I'll always find funny.

Zero Space is being designed by people who have done nothing with their lives except play SC for the past decade or so. It's just mixing elements from everything SC2 has thrown at us over the three games since 2010 (mercenaries, top bar calldowns, etc). The two races they have shown so far are just minor variations of Terran and Zerg (and one of the final two will obviously be a protoss knock off). The campaign characters they have shown are generic rip offs from SC (space cowboy, red headed agent). I don't think it looks particularly good, but I do think it looks more fun than Stormgate, which was in no state to be shown off when they did.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I'm looking forward to Immortal: Gates of Pyre over StormGate and ZeroSpace. I've been on their discord for a couple years and it sounds way more interesting, at least if you care. In terms of gameplay they're taking lessons from how SC2 Co-Op worked and integrating commanders into the MP and SP from the start. The aesthetics are unique and don't just look like a ripoff of WC3 or SC2, even though IGP started out as an SC2 mod titled "Vanguard" (look it up). The worldbuilding is very different from the extremely generic designs seen in SG and ZS, and it has much more depth to it too: the team actually bothered to give the sides actual cultures, ideologies, motives, etc and not just write them as mindless zombies that obey whatever deranged whims occur to shallow inconsistent main characters. From what I've heard of their campaign plans, which they intend to release as DLC after releasing the SP/MP/CO modes for free, they intended to write their campaigns as a multiverse of timelines in order to give every side a chance to shine rather than a single canon that will inevitably favor one side over all others.

By contrast, I don't find SG and ZS remotely interesting. I'm one of those weirdos in the 80% of RTS players who only plays SP, so I'm concerned about meaningless things like "is the writing any good or just more stupid?" SG and ZS haven't given me any confidence that their story modes will be remotely interesting or well constructed. ZS is advertising romance... like, what? Why? RTS doesn't need romance! If I wanted to play Mass Effect, then I'd played Mass Effect, not a ripoff of Mass Effect with RTS game gameplay crudely bolted on. SG hasn't revealed much about their story, but what little has been revealed doesn't interest me and makes it sound like humanity and the demons will team up at the climax against Amon again... which I have zero interest in.

Going back to IGP, two of the revealed races serve Great Old Ones (the lorebook literally calls them that) who intend to reformat reality into something they find more conducive. Everyone else will die as an unintentional side-effect because they're weaklings. I love playing races like that and I'm glad IGP is bringing that back after the prior decades of RTS games ignored it or worse did a bait-and-switch where the monsters were revealed as misunderstood good guys all along.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm looking forward to Immortal: Gates of Pyre over StormGate and ZeroSpace. I've been on their discord for a couple years and it sounds way more interesting, at least if you care. In terms of gameplay they're taking lessons from how SC2 Co-Op worked and integrating commanders into the MP and SP from the start. The aesthetics are unique and don't just look like a ripoff of WC3 or SC2, even though IGP started out as an SC2 mod titled "Vanguard" (look it up). The worldbuilding is very different from the extremely generic designs seen in SG and ZS, and it has much more depth to it too: the team actually bothered to give the sides actual cultures, ideologies, motives, etc and not just write them as mindless zombies that obey whatever deranged whims occur to shallow inconsistent main characters. From what I've heard of their campaign plans, which they intend to release as DLC after releasing the SP/MP/CO modes for free, they intended to write their campaigns as a multiverse of timelines in order to give every side a chance to shine rather than a single canon that will inevitably favor one side over all others.

By contrast, I don't find SG and ZS remotely interesting. I'm one of those weirdos in the 80% of RTS players who only plays SP, so I'm concerned about meaningless things like "is the writing any good or just more stupid?" SG and ZS haven't given me any confidence that their story modes will be remotely interesting or well constructed. ZS is advertising romance... like, what? Why? RTS doesn't need romance! If I wanted to play Mass Effect, then I'd played Mass Effect, not a ripoff of Mass Effect with RTS game gameplay crudely bolted on. SG hasn't revealed much about their story, but what little has been revealed doesn't interest me and makes it sound like humanity and the demons will team up at the climax against Amon again... which I have zero interest in.

Going back to IGP, two of the revealed races serve Great Old Ones (the lorebook literally calls them that) who intend to reformat reality into something they find more conducive. Everyone else will die as an unintentional side-effect because they're weaklings. I love playing races like that and I'm glad IGP is bringing that back after the prior decades of RTS games ignored it or worse did a bait-and-switch where the monsters were revealed as misunderstood good guys all along.
I prefer one of the couple of C&C clones that are coming as well. I always liked C&C Generals over Crafts, at least in MP.
For these 3 starcraft rip offs I am hoping they have fun Co-op commander modes, that was in the end the most fun part of SC2.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

I prefer one of the couple of C&C clones that are coming as well. I always liked C&C Generals over Crafts, at least in MP.
For these 3 starcraft rip offs I am hoping they have fun Co-op commander modes, that was in the end the most fun part of SC2.
I’m looking forward to C&C clones too. The formula has completely different pathfinding and resource management that I think has its own appeal. The Tempest Rising demo looks fun and reminds me of my nostalgic memories of playing C&C.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So they revealed the final two factions

The fact that they can't even show one of them in game is very comforting. Legion seems to be heavily inspired by alarak coop commander from sc2.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kickstarter is over! They reached $536,583 and achieved the following stretch goals:

aa604d41b25e974899b979a2d29f45c5_original.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom