Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 mods

MetalCraze

Arcane
My friend* tells me he's in Paradise Falls at lvl 9, lacking ammo and getting killed all the time when he gets careless.

Reaching higher difficulty by giving you less ammo and pumping up enemy stats/making PC weaker instead of making the extremely dumb FO3's AI better is a retarded way to fix this piece of shit - but hey - the quality of game = quality of modders.

This isn't a rebalance - this is how "next-gen" makes games "difficult".

Monocause

Arcane
skyway said:
My friend* tells me he's in Paradise Falls at lvl 9, lacking ammo and getting killed all the time when he gets careless.

Reaching higher difficulty by giving you less ammo and pumping up enemy stats/making PC weaker instead of making the extremely dumb FO3's AI better is a retarded way to fix this piece of shit - but hey - the quality of game = quality of modders.

This isn't a rebalance - this is how "next-gen" makes games "difficult".

I don't know if the AI is moddable at all. Besides, what's so damn wrong with it? It wasn't great, but it was servicable, average FP shooter level. Haven't noticed any radiantlike glitches.

Writing a really challenging AI that would work in a real time setting and work for multiple different NPCs in varying landscapes would be extremely difficult. Probably more a job for universities and labs than for game devs. Hence only in TB games does the AI prove a genuine challenge, and the other games seek to be challenging using the 'retarded ways' you described ;>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Writing a really challenging AI that would work in a real time setting and work for multiple different NPCs in varying landscapes would be extremely difficult
For the likes of Bethesda it is impossible.

Besides, what's so damn wrong with it? It wasn't great, but it was servicable, average FP shooter level.
Yep it was crap - TES4 AI behaves in two ways:
1) standing and shooting at you
2) running and shooting at you

It isn't an average shooter AI - it is a crap AI. In average shooters it at least uses cover.

and the other games seek to be challenging using the 'retarded ways' you described ;>
Operation Flashpoint, SWAT3/4 and other good (more or less) tactical shooters disagree
Hey even in Max Payne enemies at least try to not stay in the line of fire, unlike with TES4 and its two addons.

Monocause

Arcane
skyway said:

You've got a point there. Though I remember enemies did sometimes take cover, just very rarely - I wonder if it isn't because the NPC's shooting accuracy is skill-based and they're scripted to get closer when the to-hit chance is too low. If I'm right then a rebalancing skill buff for enemies would make lots of sense.
Knowing Bethsoft, I'm probably wrong.

PS. The sniper near the Minefield certainly did take cover, for example.

Monocause

Arcane
This one convinced me to try FO3 again:

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/mods/1 ... -Kit-v1-1c

The gun damage increase sounds good, and an increase in item variety should make looting and exploring more enjoyable, combined with the XFO rebalance mod. I also have just read that it's possible to switch the in-game music to something more audible and that is a must. I'll play with it tomorrow and report back after I set things strait on the uni about my failed statistics exam (well, I haven't failed to pass, I failed to show up, twice).

Monocause

Arcane
FOOK, well, sucks. It has a good concept but they clearly went for quantity instead of quality and that shows. Couple this with some really bad design decisions and you'll get the picture.
There's too many weapon and armor types which quickly gets confusing - and some textures and models of these suck. Additionally, someone had a fucked up idea to make armor give moronic bonuses. Every armor you pick up boosts your stats or skills. No idea how a talon beret makes you more intelligent AND better at small guns. The same can be said about vanilla, but at least the boosting items didn't ruin the game balance.
The damage of guns has been increased, which is nice, but it seems there was no thought put into this and balance is non-existent. I wonder if anyone playtested this mod or are the creators too busy with maniacally expanding the inventory.

User was nabbed fit

I won't replay F3 again (not that I ever got that far) until someone makes something of the level of Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for it. Like the latter, it won't make it into an RPG all of a sudden, but at least it can be enjoyable as something else.

Monocause

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
I won't replay F3 again (not that I ever got that far) until someone makes something of the level of Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for it. Like the latter, it won't make it into an RPG all of a sudden, but at least it can be enjoyable as something else.

True. XFO's good, but not good enough to warrant a rerun, and nothing else I've seen on Fallout Nexus sounds promising. Except for the NMA mod, but it's still in beta state and I've given up playing after I saw radroaches flying to the ceiling from the impact of the almighty BB gun shot.

Multi-headed Cow

XFO was kind of neat when I tried it, but it unfortunately was harder without making the game more fun. I mostly just found myself more irritated at Fallout 3 trying to be a shooter when I couldn't aim worth shit, rather than think "Hey this is neat". You mostly end up gaming the system more, running to point blank range and VATSing and such, though VATS isn't as powerful in XFO.

Still, it'll only get better in time. And Fallout 3 is pretty playable even without mods.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Monocause said:
My friend bought the game yesterday but is afraid that he wouldn't enjoy playing vanilla (as he didn't with morrowind). Are you guys aware of any mods that take at least some suck of gameplay mechanics like VATS or redundant skills etc that you could recommend?

Who would be such a fucking moron to buy a game he is afraid he will not like in the first place. What a loser. You don't deserve any better than the shit the gaming industry is giving you. Because you're going to buy their shitty games anyway.

Also, the purpose of mods obviously escapes you. Mods aren't supposed to extend the lifespan of an already shitty game like Fallout 3. It should be just left to die. They should be used in improving an already good one.

Solivagant

Novice
I once tried the game with roughly 100 mods on. Amidst the overhaul F3C there were models of practically every weapon from fallout 1 and 2, texture changes for the bos, mutants, a green de-tinter that made the game look that much cooler, and tons of other mods, including one that changed the music for fallout 1 and 2's soundtrack.

The game still sucked. You can change the wrapper, but the filling is still solid shit.

Monocause

Arcane
The main quest and writing in general will always be shitty, but the wasteland roaming part has potential.

Deleted member 7219

I played it through vanilla with no problems.

I'm using a few mods now - DarNified UI, the Unofficial Patch, Free Play After MQ, Killable Kids, No Auto Aim, Accurate Assault Rifles, Accurate Sniper Rifles, No Armor Magic Effects, GNR Extended, Amplified Cripple Effects, Repair Rethought, Karma Revamp, No Respawns, Slower Levelling, 14mm Pistol (from FO1), SVD Dragunov sniper rifle, and Frederyck's weapon packs.

Multi-headed Cow

The GNR extender mods are great. I managed to cram 20 of the licensed songs from Bioshock into GNR. Makes it more tolerable with more variety.

Luzur

Good Sir
Multi-headed Cow said:
The GNR extender mods are great. I managed to cram 20 of the licensed songs from Bioshock into GNR. Makes it more tolerable with more variety.

does it add more lines for 3-dog? it was abit annoying when he kept repeating the same damn lines about Greyditch being silent even 3 weeks after i was there and cleaned it up.

i went to his studio and shot him in the face after the 378th repeat of that.

Multi-headed Cow

Nah. Same DJ lines, unless there's another mod out there to change that.

Multi-headed Cow

mondblut said:
http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2273 is essential.

Also, any of the many mods that get rid of that pesky underwear for females.
What in god's name.
"9.75 out of 10 (113 ratings)" It's Sex And The Single Adventuress for Fallout 3 by god. I swear, RPG modders are the worst people. Probably means RPG players are the worst people too.

"This mod has been renamed from Wasteland Pimp to Wasteland Player because it is felt that Player more adequately encompasses the long-term goals of the mod." Hahahahahahaha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom