Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For my friends who browse adventure gaming

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Not to be an ungrateful piece of shit, but the Director's Cut of Broken Sword is so severely dumbed down it actually takes all the fun out of the game.

I wasn't sure at first because I hadn't played the game since its original release some 15(?) years ago, but by the time I was done with the 'new' scenes and back to George's original shenanigans, it was obvious the following had happened:

- All hotspots are now pointed out once your cursor is near enough to them (that is, in the same vicinity).
- All death scenes have been removed, and it's no longer possible to get a game over (!!!). In fact, even in the do-and-or-die scenarios, picking the wrong option just makes George ignore your command and eventually he'll go for the right solution anyway. It's like RYSE of the Templars. Other times, you're stopped from doing the wrong thing by some kind of supernatural force such as...

George refusing to leave the hotel with the parchment in his possession because that's probably what the gangsters outside are looking for, even though you have no indication that is their purpose or that they'll search you. But he'll explicitly say no, because they're looking for the parchment and they must be working with Khan.

... and at other times your input is just shelved, George solves the problem by himself without your input. Considering the death scenes were part of the game's charm, this is a huge turn-off.

- From reading the reviews, some scenes were cut (though I can't identify which, it's been too long), dialogue was cut, hotspots were removed, in an effort to streamline the experience.
- The added scenes with Nico seemed interesting at first but they are piss easy (no, seriously, I thought they were some kind of tutorial. There's maybe 3 hotspots per room and if you have enough stamina to click your mouse repeatedly, you -will- stumble into any solution within a minute) and they add nothing to the game (because everything that happens within them is quickly shut off with a 'I'll keep this to myself from now on' so they're never referenced again). Maybe if you've played through the whole series this will mean something to you, but it just seems to be filler for the chunk of game they cut out.

The worst offender is that they've actually taken out the original version from Steam, so even if you bought the original it's been replaced with this skeleton of a game. It's the adventure genre's take on Bioshock Infinite.

TL;DR: Awful adaptation of a beautiful game basically renders it into a visual novel style game, with talk-examine-use-everything mechanics until the solution is there because it takes 5 minutes anyway.

PS:
I was so fucking irritated by the confrontation in the train, when Nico has been taken hostage and Khan has been shot and you're supposed to stop the killer... I purposefully clicked the killer's gun to see what would happen, just delaying my response, until George solved it for me by pulling the train brakes even though I was nowhere near clicking them. QTEs that succeed even if you fail, fucking pandering to the lowest common denominator.

BTW thanks again tuluse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom