Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Free Stars: Children of Infinity - upcoming Star Control 2 sequel from Fred Ford's Pistol Shrimp Games - Kickstarter Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming up on the podcast - MRY: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4084113

Channel 44 Showcase​

Did you know that during the development of Children of Infinity, we started a video podcast series called Channel 44 on YouTube? The Ur-Quan Masters was an inspiration for many other game developers, too! We chased them down (virtually) and spent time talking about games, game development, science fiction, and anything else that struck our fancy.

All of these are freely available for anyone who's interested in the stories behind development or who wants to know a little more about some of our fellow creators. We just announced our final batch (for now!) of episodes along with their release dates, which will run through the Kickstarter campaign:
  • April 23rd: Charlie Cleveland from Unknown Worlds (Subnautica, Natural Selection, Moonbreaker) - originally streamed live
  • April 30th: Freehold Games‘ Brian Bucklew and Jason Grinblat (Caves of Qud, Sproggiwood) - originally streamed live
  • May 7th: Massive Damage‘s Peter McLaren and Gary Seto (Halcyon 6, Star Renegades)
  • May 14th: Mark Yohalem from Wormwood Studios (Primordia, Strangeland, Fallen Gods
If you want to just listen on your favorite podcasting platform, we also provide these as part of the Pistol Shrimp Podcast series, which also includes audio interviews with original UQM team members Paul Reiche III, Erol Otus, and George Barr.

We are appreciative to find such a long list of game developers who had something to say about The Ur-Quan Masters. You may have even played some of their games too! We're not only thankful for their time talking with us, but we're happy we can showcase their incredible selves and work for all of you.

We hope you enjoy listening and getting to hear stories behind so many games. Be sure to subscribe on YouTube to get these when they go live!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fred and Dan chat with Charlie Cleveland about Subnautica, Natural Selection, and his leadership at Unknown Worlds. They discuss the influence of The Ur-Quan Masters, and fun is more important than game balance. Charlie highlights the power of multi-linear storytelling, early access, and getting player feedback as soon as possible. Hosted live, on Twitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4084567

Stretch Goal Unlocked: Local Co-Op Gameplay​

We just hit our tenth stretch goal: Local Co-Op Gameplay!

dc2cd6f8787c6d7480659f1f5a53ec78_original.png

With Local Melee Gameplay already met, this means we'll have resources to implement the more technically challenging but exciting feature which will let two players experience the Adventure mode cooperatively, side-by-side in real life. Because our game supports dropping in and out of a game at any time online, the local co-op experience will be similar. Having fun and want someone to join you? Hand them a controller (or if your keyboard can handle it, make some room at your desk) and let them jump in!

We separated this one out from Local Melee Gameplay because designing the experience to work nicely just as we described above will take some work even though our technology can support it. There are considerations for things like UI and how to handle menus for multiple players on the same screen, for example.

Next up is Bonus Languages, which may seem small, but is something we want to provide for our large, international community. If we meet it, we will let backers vote on which three languages we should tackle to help more players who read different languages access our game.

Thank you, again, for the tremendous, overwhelming, awesome support! Keep spreading the word, and we'll keep hitting our goals!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some lore about the fate of the Ur-Quan in this game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088507

Familiarization Brief: The Ur-Quan Volunteer​

New Alliance of Free Stars Joint Command: Procyon II - Earth - New Gaia. New Alliance of Free Stars Badge.

Familiarization Brief: The Ur-Quan Volunteer​

Prepared by Alliance Military Intelligence Division, Department of Xenoanthropology​

Reports from beyond the Great Arrow indicate the expedition has come across a fascinating discovery: a lone Ur-Quan Kzer-Za, identifying itself only as “Great Master,” has initiated contact with the flagship commander and has requested permission to join the expedition fleet. The Kzer-Za has informed the commander that it wishes to “observe” the progress of the mission and the command decisions made during its course. Though unusually loquacious for its kind, the Kzer-Za has refused to elaborate further about the specific observations it wishes to make, or the true purpose of those observations.

The Kzer-Za’s explanation for its presence is that it “volunteered” to seek out the expedition, and that the Ur-Quan adherence to the twin doctrines of “The Path of Now and Forever” and “The Eternal Doctrine” are no more—indeed, that the doctrines themselves have been completely abrogated. The Ur-Quan Volunteer intimates that the Ur-Quan are collectively seeking “a new way,” and that the expedition commander’s actions will somehow aid them in finding that way.

Fascinatingly, the Kzer-Za has offered its Dreadnought starship for use in expeditionary fleet defense. This represents a singular opportunity to gather first-hand technical data about the weapons of what was once our greatest foe. Alliance Joint Command recommends the expedition commander accept the Kzer-Za’s offer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Steam page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088099

Free Stars: Children of Infinity Steam Page​

Today, we just launched our Steam page for Free Stars: Children of Infinity!

If you're here, you already know this game is coming to Steam along with other storefronts thanks to your support. However, if you're not already here, this is one way we can help more people learn about our forthcoming game and potentially reach more people. That means more people can discover our amazing community endeavor, we could have an even more successful Kickstarter, and we might reach more stretch goals!

If you're a Steam user, please wishlist the game and feel free to share it with your friends.

We will be resuming our much more fun content updates as the week continues, but wanted to share this exciting step with all of you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Fred and Dan chat with Freehold Games about Caves of Qud and making an independent game that stands out. Jason and Brian share their love of classic space games, epic science fiction worlds, and the creative appeal of retro games. Hosted live, on Twitch.

0:00 - Theme Music
0:14 - Introductions
3:42 - Classic space games
7:30 - Making The Ur-Quan Masters
11:30.- Writing and character design
15:10 - Making a sequel
22:00 - Super Melee and combat
39:30 - Caves of Qud and tile-based gameplay
48:35 - Game controls
55:53 - Accessibility in a niche
1:08:25 - Multiplayer design
1:17:17 - Modding and player feedback

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nano-scale alien race: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/posts/4088670

Debrief Extract: The Nanobe​

75226510de09242ff548e380199e3656_original.png

Debrief Extract: The Nanobe​

Report from Non-Organic Tissue Sample Lab​

1st Lt. Varna, H:
You want a list? Okay, fine: quantum tunneling means no long-term metastability at that scale, so no time or opportunity to develop sentience. There's no chance for any kind of macrostructures to form, because particle interactions at fermion-scale don't work how they work here, at person-size. And the perception of time is relative too, remember?! Even if they are alive, there's no chance we'd be able to conduct any kind of meaningful communication with them. We share no common frame of reference!

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
... Great, are you done? Is that the whole list, or you got more reasons why this can't be happening?

1st Lt. Varna, H:
I have so many more reasons.

1st Lt. Bonafaccia, T:
File them in a report. Meanwhile, the impossibly tiny nanobe that isn't supposed to be able to exist is insistent that we communicate with it... and it says it's got a gift for us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom