Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for Mac

oscar

Arcane
I've been forced to use a MacBook and was wondering if there were any good games for it beyond FreeCiv (what is okay..) and Battle for Wesnoth (quite liked but wasn't a fan of the grindy-ness of the campaigns).

relootz

Scholar
Soon steam will work on MAC. But at the start it will be mostly Valve games, so i don't know about the rest of their (huge) catalog.

oscar

Arcane
BirdsCanFly said:
Does Dorf Fort work on mac?

Apparently quite well but I can never get past the ASCII graphics :(

Clockwork Knight said:
http://source.bungie.org/index.php?title=Get_Marathon

Not really feeling like an fps (and have no mouse) though might give it a try later. Looks like a real spiritual predecessor of Half Life.

pipka

Savant
Are we talking about free games?
If not there are: Plants vs Zombies, FPS from few years ago(UT2004, Doom3, Postal2, etc.), Jagged Alliance 2, some strategies and RPGs that I don't remember. If your mac is of current generation, Parallel Desktop works surprisingly well. Install WinXP and play old games( more than 4 years old), because I'm not sure about recent resource-hogs games.

oscar

Arcane
Free preferably. FreeOrion works but is in version 0.3.9. Any word on that?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starcraft and Warcraft 3 have MAC clients (you can buy PC version, register it on Battle.Net as English and download MAC versions much cheaper than MAC-in-the-box)

Phelot

Arcane
oscarisaiah said:
Clockwork Knight said:
http://source.bungie.org/index.php?title=Get_Marathon

Not really feeling like an fps (and have no mouse) though might give it a try later. Looks like a real spiritual predecessor of Half Life.

No, actually it is the spiritual predecessor to awesome.

Seriously, fuck Doom, play Marathon instead and realize what you've been missing out on.

OK OK, I'll help. You could try the other Bungie hit: Myth and Myth 2. I'm sure you could find the mac version online somewhere... It was duel released afterall. Great strategy game probably one of my favorites.

As for RPGs... well all the IE games from what I understand have been ported over so you could always play those again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you're fine with not removing stuff from inventories, there are some pretty good versions of Deus Ex floating around the popular NRSI-sites.

I play StarCraft on my college-MacBook during boring lessons. When I'm not borrowing my pals computer to play Duel of the Planeswalkers - Manalink, which unfortunately doesn't work on Mac.

EDIT: OH! How could I forget! There's a completely stable version of Dungeon Keeper 2 for MacOSX also.

Phelot

Arcane
How about an adventure/FPS game for Mac? Pathways into Darkness (again, by Bungie) is brilliant, scary, fun, and quite the challenge. I mean, you get a magic crystal that lets you talk to dead Nazis!

relootz

Scholar
Grunker said:
EDIT: OH! How could I forget! There's a completely stable version of Dungeon Keeper 2 for MacOSX also.

???????????????????????????

it's not even stable on any OS on the PC.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
relootz said:
Grunker said:

???????????????????????????

it's not even stable on any OS on the PC.

I'm not real strong on the technical stuff, but apparently som savy modders made some kind of custom engine that runs a couple of games on mac, among them Deus Ex and DK2.

It's on BTjunkie. I've never run a version of DK2 that stable since the original release. Had 1, partly self-inflicted, crash, in the half year I used it.

oscar

Arcane
phelot said:
How about an adventure/FPS game for Mac? Pathways into Darkness (again, by Bungie) is brilliant, scary, fun, and quite the challenge. I mean, you get a magic crystal that lets you talk to dead Nazis!

Read some more about it and it sounds awesome but no seeded torrents and not sure if it will work with my modern Mac. Such a shame that seemingly most old games for Mac don't work on newer ones.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oscarisaiah said:
phelot said:

Read some more about it and it sounds awesome but no seeded torrents and not sure if it will work with my modern Mac. Such a shame that seemingly most old games for Mac don't work on newer ones.
they dont? Wow, MAC sucks more than i thought

oscar

Arcane
madbringer said:
Escape Velocity: Nova.

Awesome 2d space exploration game.

God damn yet again more resolution problems. Apple's blind incompetency shocks me sometimes.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What, are you implying their products are anything less than perfection and magical? This is my shocked face.

oscar

Arcane
It's either 256 colours or millions.. Can't pick thousands so that rules out pretty much every 90's/early 2000 game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom