Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

ds

Cipher
Patron
I personally had 3 games disappear out of my gog library - two I could retrace from looking through my purchases and only got them back after writing to the support. the third I still don't know what it was.
Interesting - even more reason to save standalone installers instead of relying on Galaxy.

also, yes, the sole use I have for gog nowadays is to look at the section of newly released games. I don't follow any gaming websites, youtubers or anything. how else should I know what's being released?
From recommendations on prestigious internet forums. Or other places where you can interact with real human beings instead of algorithms and influencers. To be honest I don't really follow what is being released that much.

Last edited:

ds

Cipher
Patron
Valve has also threatened me with unspecified account restrictions twice
How come?
One was when they tried to get away with refunding the steam dick deposit to my steam wallet instead of the original payment method and I told them that that would not fly.
The other one was for repeatedly filing refund requests for one game until someone with the authority do do anything other than reply with provably false scripted responses would look at it.
So not unprompted and also not entirely unexpected but still soured my opinion of Valve.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Valve has also threatened me with unspecified account restrictions twice
How come?
One was when they tried to get away with refunding the steam dick deposit to my steam wallet instead of the original payment method and I told them that that would not fly.
The other one was for repeatedly filing refund requests for one game until someone with the authority do do anything other than reply with provably false scripted responses would look at it.
So not unprompted and also not entirely unexpected but still soured my opinion of Valve.
I keep getting passive-aggressive lectures that refunds is not used to test games, lol.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the downloads are divided into 4 gb parts, which is incredibly annoying for modern size games. for the entire game to download with one click you need gog galaxy or a third party browser application. in the past I used the gog downloader, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. I just don't get chosing the gog galaxy client over the steam client, so I don't intend to use it.

The 4gb parts is a bit annoying though at least it does help with downloading games partially instead of in one go if you have a slower connection. Though IMO it is only a minor annoyance.

There is a tool to download your GOG library though, linked by Popot - assuming you don't mind installing Python and using the command line.

On the other hand I also don't get the bitching over what crap GOG/Steam push on their storefronts. Do people seriously use those for discovery? Why???

I use the Steam store for discovery because it has a lot of features for discovering games in the search page. Though i use it with the Augmented Steam addon which allows for further filtering than the functionality Steam itself has (but even that is way more functional than any other store). I've found many games i didn't knew about (mainly indie stuff) from that.

Though that is for discovering games, once i find a game i often check if it is on GOG (or Zoom Platform or itch.io) afterwards or there are plans for it to be released there. Depending on the game i might just buy it on Steam if there isn't a GOG release available or planned - indie games rarely have any DRM so while i do not get a fancy installer, i can just ZIP the game directory. Though i avoid that for new releases because unlike with GOG you don't know when patches/fixes/etc were made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom