Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good post on Wasteland 2 forums

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Fundamentally, the original Fallouts were about dealing with groups of people, and exploring settlements, while Fallout 3 is about shooting monsters in the desert. You don't need a sophisticated analysis to express this difference.

Krellen sounds like a serious faggot.

Setting is the least important thing for a game. Everything he's saying goes against the spirit of Wasteland, and everything he's saying is completely wrong. Getting concerned about setting over gameplay is the worst sin possible, even for movies it's a terrible blight. It leads to explaining everything linearly and fully, with no room for storytelling. It's saying there's mitichlorians that create force power pockets in the body instead of leaving it incredibly mysterious and powerful. Setting is in fact exactly what ruined the star wars franchise, because lucas is a giant setting tard who wouldn't let the "canon" of the prequel books be changed into something that made any fucking sense (the reason the movies started with episode IV).

Setting also isn't things like mood and atmosphere, or other intangibles. Those it would be nice to get right, but if there's anything Wasteland's mood is about, it's that anything can happen and stupid shit like when the bombs dropped and whether the guys have 80s or 70s clothes don't mean anything.

Wasteland is a baby crawling towards you with a 9mm in its mouth before you blow it away, radiation angels worshipping The Bomb, blood cultists, and in general a world that's gone completely mad. Worrying about continuity is only going to make that into a shit mess that only a biodrone could think made sense.

Please, storyfags, don't ruin the one possibly good game to come along in the last decade with this stupid backseat game designer nonsense.

"Who cares about setting, fuck setting and storyfags, and George Lucas. And that's why I'm going to spend my next two paragraphs talking about what Wasteland's setting is REALLY about."

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Yeah he still fucking agrees with you you stupid fucking clown holy shit

'ohhh gosh he used the word SETTING instead of MOOD I'd better write a billion fucking words regurgitating the points he already made'

attackfighter

Magister
"Setting is important, but it is not enough, and a hollow Setting is the worst sin of all."

That's something David Gaider seems to forget. He and his cohorts created an expansive setting for Dragon Age, but they neglected all other aspects of their writing. As a consequence, no one has cared very much for DA's story since the initial few months after release. All that work amounted to nothing more than a bland throwaway...

empi

Augur
I guess that post is good relative to the rest of the shit posted on those forums. There's just no point in all the discussion over there.
Just let Fargo et. all get on with what they want to make, there's going to be a beta where feedback could actually be of use

empi

Augur
Krellen sounds like a serious faggot.

Setting is the least important thing for a game.
Wasteland is a baby crawling towards you with a 9mm in its mouth before you blow it away, radiation angels worshipping The Bomb, blood cultists, and in general a world that's gone completely mad.

"SETTING MEANS NOTHING, WASTELAND IS ALL ABOUT SETTING."
Bloody hell.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I guess that post is good relative to the rest of the shit posted on those forums. There's just no point in all the discussion over there.

bro the utility of open discussion there right now to sanctify those forums with the salt of monoclean discussion and lots of high level design and technical talk to ward against malevolent newshitters, to be proof against their gnarled clubs of accessibility, to be garlic and wolfsbane to their yawning fetid maws that gape for a wider audience

the price of incline is eternal vigilance

hold the line

MapMan

Arcane
I don't know why people have a problem with fallout 3. I never played the game and I have no problem with it whatsoever :smug:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Whee I'm on someone's ignore list, how exciting!
I'd reply with a more sensible post about how the whole point of Krellen's post, one that he explicitly stated, wasn't that setting elements should be carried over but that thematic considerations should be (which are frequently related to the setting, at least tangentially - can you imagine eg. Lord of the Flies set in the middle of New York? How about Death Wish on an uninhabited island?), but I'll assume that you're bright enough at least not to show the 'click to reveal hidden post' button so I've already wasted enough time on this topic. TTFN.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Krellen is one of the rare non-Codexian :obviously: commenters on the W2 forums.
Codexian :obviously: commenters are also very rare on W2 forums. Crooked Bee stopped posting and I haven't seen any other Wasteland fan from the Codex there. Most of the :obviously: stuff there comes from Wasteland fans and I haven't seen many hanging around the Codex.

MCA
If I were a diehard Wasteland fan (as opposed to just a fan ), I wouldn't want to hang around at a place whose members chose DAO the game of the year of 2009 either.

Monk

Arcane
Given an emphasis on storytelling, it would be theme that is most important, with everything else employed in an organic whole to develop it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Too many posts there. Just too many.

for some reason this particular post plus a glance at your avatar made me realise that the red eyes there were from a severe lack of sleep and this poor entity in the cowl really needs some shuteye

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Believe me, that poor entity in the cowl has already been sleeping for way too long. And now it's time for revenge!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom