Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good siege battles

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really enjoy siege battles and building fortresses. Stronghold was one of my favourites. Castle Strike was pretty good, too. Sieges in the TW games are also quite fun.

So, does anyone know any other games with good sieges? What I'm looking for is similar to the games I mentioned: preferably being able to build your own fortress [not necessary though], being able to position your soldiers on the walls, having a good selection of siege weapons and, preferably, not being able to destroy walls with simple infantry.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well...you can't actually build your own cities in the same way you could in Stronghold, but Age of Wonders has very satisfying siege combat.

It's turn based and tactical.

I would skip straight to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

The rest of the game plays similar to Master of Magic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, I played AoW. It's a really good game, the sieges are great fun especially in AoW1.
I'm more looking for games like Stronghold, though, where you have more units and different ways of assaulting the castle [ladders, towers], stuff like that.

Panthera

Scholar
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms games have good siege battles, as do the Total War series, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Medieval II's sieges are pretty damn awesome, though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Nice, those old DOS games look good. Also, yes, the Total War sieges are of the kind that I'm looking for, but I've already played all of the TW games. Guess there aren't many strategy games out there with an emphasis on siege warfare.

YourConscience

Scholar
I found Lords of the Realms II the most satisfying experience when it comes to sieges so far.

Medieval II and any earlier versions are pretty good, but they suffer from several systematic problems:
- the cities are just too huge and it looks awkward how your entire army just covers a quarter of all walls
- the pathfinding in and around the walls and buildings is so horrible that it constantly destroys immersion
- the graphics is too good: it's so good that it's impossible to not notice how the fighting animations are just lame and don't have any significance

In Lords with it's simple 2D sprites you wouldn't even try to look for combat animations, instead you would concentrate on where to position your bowman or when to send your diggers to fill the water trench around that castle :)

AoW: Shadow Magic has one important problem: It allows you to build cities, but the AI won't do that. This really spoils an otherwise greate game for me.

In case you find something interesting, please post a summary here!

DiverNB

Liturgist
I had a Medieval 2 TW mod that basically improved the AI by a vast amount during sieges and just in general. Taking castles really became challenging with it. You had to basically bust out a combination of siege methods, ladders, catapults etc.

I just can't remember what it was called :( But if you just played vanilla M2:TW Go look for some AI mods. They make it much more intense.

Also, try Strongholds expansion, Stronghold: Crusader. It adds a skirmish mode to the game and is pretty fun with the new arabic units.

Panthera

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
BethesdaLove said:
Dwarf Fortress

A better answer would have been Mount & Blade.

Why didn't I think of Dwarf Fortress? Fuck, I love that game. I like building an above-ground curtain wall to protect my ground entrance, with a gate for traders to get in.

Mount & Blade's sieges are fun, but not really worth mentioning on their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom