Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic problem

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Hi folks, I'm having a blast playing Gothic for the first time. Love the atmosphere and how every nook and cranny might net you instant rape many surprises and loot.
But! When you enter the Old Camp and talk with the Sleeper guy there is this guard that starts harassing you for the protection money ore, no matter what I do it keeps greeting me and I can't walk away from him.
Since I only have 2 ores he takes them and, well, greets me again and again.

I have patch 1.08k and unofficial patch 1.0 installed, am I missing something?

Also, is magic path playable or will I rage?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if I recall correctly, unofficial patches for gothic are of doubtful fame. Anyway I never had any issues like that with just official patch. Other than that I cannot help you.

Magic is fine, although you'd better be a mediocre fighter first. It's not like you have much of an option though, since it will take you a while until you actually get to be a mage. Magic seems alright in this game, although to be hones I much more enjoyed melee or ranged combat than casting spells in Gothic.

SoupNazi

There is no known fix to that bug from what I remember from back when I was a mod on a Czech Gothic fansite.

SoupNazi

Well, it happens randomly - if you have a save before he does that (ideally before your first conversation with him, or even better before entering Old Camp), it's likely that after a few reloads he won't do it.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Gothics' melee combat is a fun "minigame" (exploiting the enemy's attack patterns) that requires some twitch reflexes.

Ranged combat and magic is just pressing one button to kill things.

You decide which is better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mages are grossly overpowered in Gothic 1. Basically all you need to cast is Fire Storm until you get the super duper end game nuke... even then Fire Storm does the job just as well.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
So, you think is better to go for some utility spells and fight melee, huh? I don't want an awesome buttan, I mostly wanted some way to clear the area if I fuck up the aggro and some backup possibilities.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
there's a way to be a "kensai" mage in Gothic 1. You
1) accept being a mage from the dude on the outside of the door of the mage compound, but don't go in or talk to the old dude.
2) go up to the other bandit dude and say you want to join the old camp, train up in whatever you want.
3) go back inside the circle of fire and be initiated.

Thing is, this shit will stretch your LP points to breaking point.

And things are ... slightly different for mages, and you're a mage for all purposes once initiated.

Then you can be a
wielding a bigass sword and armor whooooo

Murk

Arcane
Eh, I just joined the Mercenaries and later joined the Water Mages -- I had maxed 2-handed by then and STR, Gothic 1 doesn't have as much of a LP strain and so you can afford to have weird mixed builds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom