Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Graphical Nox Map Editor alpha released

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Nox

<a href="http://www.noxforum.net/index.php?topic=1663.90">This forum post</a> on the <a href="http://www.noxforum.net/">Nox Forum</a> has a couple links to an alpha version of a third party, graphical map editor written by <b>Morden Tral</b>. It's for the old, old action CRPG known as <b>Nox</b>, crafted by the now defunct <b>Westwood Games</b>. If you don't like all the crashing, there's also <a href="http://www.noxforum.net/index.php?topic=1508.0">some less graphical tools</a> on the same forum.
<br>
<br>
You know, the one thing that was always missing from <b>Nox</b> was a map editor. Everything else was pretty top notch for what the game was.
<br>

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Maybe it was because I played it years after it came out, but I never really thought much of Nox. Mediocre Diable clone. It was better than the other clones at time like the dogshit that was Darkstone, Soulbringer, Nightstone, Siege of Avalon, etc.

spacemoose

Erudite
oh Siege of Avalon, how I wanted to like you. I'll try to remember you by your excellent paperdoll system, and not by your terrible combat and deteriorating story

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Remember playing the Nox multiplayer demo way back when. Ran around in an empty map for a few minutes. Some pretty intense stuff right there.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They should have shipped the game with NoxQuest, which was like Guantlet(the old Atari arcade one), only with more traps, puzzles, and mayhem.. Oh, and levelling up. Kreegle and I wasted a few weekends playing NoxQuest. The big problem with it was there were only about 12 maps, so once you figured out all the tricks to the maps, it got stale.

The single player wasn't that bad. I rather enjoyed all the traps and such you could make for the monsters. I combined one that was a stun spell, a poison gas cloud, and a big stone fist that crashed down from the sky. That was wonderful.

The single player was also harder than most action CRPGs. In most, if you trudge through levels, you're probably not going to die unless you rush too far ahead of where the monsters are. Nox had some tricky levels which required a bit of sneaking around(without a sneak skill, mind you) and laying traps and such just to hope to make it through. I liked that.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'm with Saint on Nox.
Hardly a "mediocre Diablo clone". In fact, the only thing it had in common with Diablo was 2D gfx and a real-time clicky HTH combat system.

No randomised dungeons - it had designed dungeons etc, with puzzles and traps. And not just "pull the lever" style stuff, some were pretty tricky.
The plugging together of various effects when you made those living bomb/trap thingies was reminiscent of plugging together spell effects in Legend. Different classes had different starting points (they merged after the first act, IIRC), meaning that it was worth playing the game for more than that one play-through.
Playing as each of the 3 classes required totally different playing strategies. They were fundamentally different, rather than "oh this seems like another fighter type but with a different skill tree".

And it didn't have ubar skill trees like Diablo II and "clones"...the whole game was an example of "simple but clever", a product of design and not imitation.

A wouldn't take umbrage at a game like Sacred being called a "Diablo clone" (and I thoroughly enjoyed Sacred), but Nox? Unless you only played about the first 10 minutes as a Warrior, I don't know how you could say it had the same design and feel at all.

Direwolf

Arcane
Nox was very entertaining. I still can't really remember why I never completed it. I also liked the way experience was given for the kills. It really prevented grinding and allowed a better overall flow of the game.

Surlent

Liturgist
Conjurer class was pretty fun in Nox with its charmed/summoned pets and all the other spells. I also liked how Nox progressed like adventure from destination to another compared to Diablo2's towns which served more as hubs for questing.
As for the editor, better late than never I guess. :wink:

morden

Novice
Re:

Hmmm I seem to be in places I never knew I was.

Sorry for gravedigging a bit here, but I ran acrossed this thread and felt like mentioning that the original activx directx controlled .dll map editor was scrapped in favor of a CLR pure directx interface.

The new one has the download at www.noxhub.net, look under downloads. Also the wiki link in that site has tutorials and information about the map editor AND nox itself.

The downloads part of the site has nox resources and a downloadable copy of nox for those of you that have *lost* previous versions and have no way to back up your game since it is no longer sold. The download includes all support for online play and no longer needs a valid serial since you *may* have lost your own. Its a custom installer so its smaller and is fast and idiot proof.

Just bought some dedicated 100mbs servers and am getting a working version of the old online ladder and clan systems up again.

We would enjoy having any/all of you join the community, www.noxforum.net for questions or general conversation.

I will not be checking in on here again, don't have the time to check another forum. But i'm Admin Morden Tral at noxforum. Feel free to give me a buzz.

Trivia: Nox was once voted the most spitefull game of all time. Also is on the top ten best online games of all time.

*edit* Oh yeah and every file format has been figured out. The game and it's images are pretty much fully moddable.

k_bits

Scholar
^^ Cheers for that. Never got a chance to play Nox.

It reminds me a little of Geneforge. YMMV

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom