Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guinea Pigs needed for CRPG user tests

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
I'm looking for Codexers willing to participate in user testing for Dungeoneers - a turn-based, hex-based CRPG that has been in development for several years, and which is now in closed alpha testing.

You would play on the Web, with no need to create an account. All I need is for you to be willing to play while connected with me on Skype, and with Share Screen on, so that I can watch you play. I would also ask that you "think out loud" while playing. It would take about half an hour, and if you like the game you could keep playing as an alpha tester.

Your browser would need to support html5 (any modern non-IE browser, or IE with Chrome Frame installed).

If you are interested, please PM me.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would love to test and write a report or some shit if that would help but that skype/screen-watching shit is just too much.

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Zed said:
I would love to test and write a report or some shit if that would help but that skype/screen-watching shit is just too much.

Thanks, Zed. I'd feel the same way. And as soon as we're ready to open up the testing more, I'll post again without the Skype requirement.

But right now, I really need to watch people play and hear what they think as they're playing.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I have no problem with skype feedback but then I'd like a bit more info about the game I would have to play - will it be only combat testing or actual dialogues/story?

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Hoaxmetal said:
I have no problem with skype feedback but then I'd like a bit more info about the game I would have to play - will it be only combat testing or actual dialogues/story?

Sure.

You'd be playing the whole game, not just part of it. It's a tactical dungeon crawl, so there's not much in the way of story, and there's no dialogue. The game is about figuring at the best way to get through a dungeon, using tactics and a proper dose of discretion, so you can kill the dragon and save the village.

Shemar

Educated
Zed said:
This. Also, I would play for a couple of hours, but no way I'd play test an entire game.

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Shemar said:
Zed said:
This. Also, I would play for a couple of hours, but no way I'd play test an entire game.

Cool. A couple hours would be more than enough. The "whole game" can be played in under an hour. If you win the game by killing the dragon, then next time you play you will be facing a stronger dragon (and eventually multiple dragons). If you are defeated, you start the game over. The game is meant to be an ongoing hobby, like doing crossword puzzles or playing chess, not a game that you finish and move on.

It may be "weird" that I want to do actual user tests rather than just getting written feedback from testers. As you know, it's common practice in the computer games industry to just copy what works in other games. If we were just doing a re-hash of what's been done before, there would be less need for usability testing. But my game takes the genre is a new direction. So hearing what people think as they play will help us determine where we've gone too far off track!

Johannes

Arcane
I might do this if you still need in a week or 3, once I'm properly settled down to my new house/have a proper net connection.

What system requirements does the game have?

JaySn

Educated
DungeoneerAlex said:
. . . think out loud. . .

But . . . I hardly think silently, as is. Besides, a lack of microphone would make the spoken portion rather worthless to you. ;)

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Johannes said:
I might do this if you still need in a week or 3, once I'm properly settled down to my new house/have a proper net connection.

What system requirements does the game have?

The only system requirement is a web browser that supports html5. The latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari all work. Or IE with Google Chrome installed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom