Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HoI 2 crashy issues

miles foreman

Scholar
So I bought HoI 2 (regular version, no expansion or Gold Edition) like a year ago and decided to finally install it. It loads just fine, however when I try to select a tutorial or start any new game the game kicks me back to the desktop with a "This Program has stopped responding" error.

This happens with the latest patch (1.3A with the 1.3B AI patch). I've tried compatibility mode (I'm on Vista 32bit, running it as XP SP2) and even adding it to my firewall exception to no avail.

I was going to uninstall it and the damn thing crashed there, too. So now I guess I'll try a manual uninstall and reinstall with no patches to see if that works.

Anyone run into something like this?

miles foreman

Scholar
Reinstall seems to work. I have no idea which version of game the CD is but I'm guessing the patch is incompatible with it. Hope I don't need it.

miles foreman

Scholar
Well, just the basic CD install doesn't work anymore either. I've found that if I ALT-TAB out of the game at the main menu and then back, the scenarios will load. I'm also running some pre-1.2 version so I guess I'll re-patch and play it as is.

Here's a gameplay question because I don't want to register on the Paradox forums:

Can you decrease production time? I'm trying to build some factories but they take forever, and yes I have sufficient IC and resources. I skimmed through the manual but didn't find anything about it.

entertainer

Arbiter
miles foreman said:
Can you decrease production time? I'm trying to build some factories but they take forever, and yes I have sufficient IC and resources. I skimmed through the manual but didn't find anything about it.

No, but you can decrease unit production time by using serial run orders.

uhjghvt

Scholar
pretty sure the gearing up bonus works for factories and everything else too actually

drunkpriest

Scholar
Serial runs (gearing bonus) on factories do not work. Moving your sliders to hawk lobby and free market will shorten the production time and cost of everything. Though depending on your government type, free market might be a bad choice. Although I am playing Doomsday, not sure if it was different back then.

oscar

Arcane
Generally your suppoused to build mass amounts of factories at the start. They take about 4 years to pay off so they should be when the action starts.

miles foreman

Scholar
Thanks for the replies. Apparently building infrastructure also decreases build rates for province constructions.

I'm playing my first game as an isolationist USA so that I can learn the mechanics of the economy before I get destroyed later by the computer. England is the only ally left, and Japan never attacked me but is instead whipping China's ass and will probably go after Russia next.

Crichton

Prophet
I don't think it's a vista issue because I'm on Vista 64bit without any issues. That's with patched up Arma though, not plain DD.

oscar

Arcane
Hmm I've never understood why people start off as the U.S. Best to do German '39, lots of action (but you have a pretty good superiority) and it's pretty hard to go wrong againt Poland and France.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom