Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about... Retro-futuristic Reviews?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Reading about the :decline: happening when we have expected a continuing :incline: gave me an idea.
How about writing gaming fiction in forms of retro-futuristic reviews of games that we have expected to be created in future before everything went to hell?

zeitgeist

Magister
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Reading about the :decline: happening when we have expected a continuing :incline: gave me an idea.
How about writing gaming fiction in forms of retro-futuristic reviews of games that we have expected to be created in future before everything went to hell?
Too depressing to consider. It's a great idea if you have the stomach for it, and approach the background research for it seriously, but it could expose some unpleasant truths in the process.

Also, you'd have to either invent an alternate gaming public you'd be writing for, or think about how the fictional games would be received in this world. Since game development doesn't happen in a vacuum, you'd really have to construct an entire alternate world in which the computer game players from the nineties have replaced the millions of "ordinary people" who buy games in the real world, for them to be even remotely successful. So in a hypothetical world in which these games could exist, the gaming market hasn't expanded from (just an example of the scale, disregard the actual figures) 2 million "PC gamers from 1994" to 50 million of "people from all walks of life", it would have to have expanded from 2 million "PC gamers from 1994" to "50 million PC gamers from 1994".

Or, perhaps there is a third solution, no market expansion at all, games are still being made for 2 million "PC gamers from 1994". All three cases would result in drastically different games being made, and I'm not sure if either one of them would fit the future we imagined at the time.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
How about people stopping replacing words decline and incline with smilies so I don't skip their shitty posts :/

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
JarlFrank said:
It would make too many Codexers break down and cry bitter tears.
Why?

zeitgeist said:
Or, perhaps there is a third solution, no market expansion at all, games are still being made for 2 million "PC gamers from 1994". All three cases would result in drastically different games being made, and I'm not sure if either one of them would fit the future we imagined at the time.
I'm thinking about neverending end of 90s. No Baldur's Gate, no extreme 3DCinematization of cRPGs. Technological advance is basically higher resolutions and more colours as it used to be, which would take care of bloated development costs.

Sick Bum

Novice
Does everything have to be retrofuture, grimdark, victorian or steampunk? Is there even any benefit to making them that way for its own sake? How about just make something cool for once. You don't even need a forum thread about it or anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom